Home – New Forums Find the help you need Do I need any licence to do construction work less than $5000

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AusGuy1000
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

I’m on my primary steps to run a construction business in Sydney. I submitted the application to get the ABN. And I will register the business name after that and the PAYG.

It’s not clear that if I need to have some kind of license to do construction work less than $5000.
    in individual contractor license page the government states “Builders and tradespeople in NSW need to be licensed to do building work where the total cost of labour and materials is more than $5,000.”
    But, It does not state what kind of license others (less than $5000) should have.
    https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-individual-contractor-licence

If I register the business name and ABN, then get construction work less than $5000, will I get into trouble without a license? Do I really need a license to do less than $5000 projects? I will mostly undertake renovations, small brick works and small concrete works etc.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=117057]@AusGuy1000[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

If you fear you could get in trouble, who will come knocking on your door? – that is who you need to talk to.

In the meantime, perhaps more reading is in order. This would be a good start.

Cheers

AusGuy1000
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 268595, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=117057]@AusGuy1000[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

If you fear you could get in trouble, who will come knocking on your door? – that is who you need to talk to.

In the meantime, perhaps more reading is in order. This would be a good start.

Cheers

Thanks Paul, I got it resolved. I called them and they told me the necessary info. Now I’m looking for small construction projects to begin with. But I have no idea how to get first few projects. Thanks

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    AusGuy1000, post: 268641, member: 117057 wrote:
    Thanks Paul, I got it resolved. I called them and they told me the necessary info. Now I’m looking for small construction projects to begin with. But I have no idea how to get first few projects. Thanks
    There are a lot of easy ways to get first jobs in your field AusGuy.

The easiest route would be Gumtree and FB Marketplace. Then there are sites like serviceseeking.

At this stage, I would not pay money for leads or definitely no more than $20 per lead – think hard before buying into a package. There are a million people out there that will try to sell you but empty dreams is what you will mostly find..

But the key will be to find a niche so that you can become known for a certain thing that people are looking for and where they have the money to pay – ideally, at the upper end of your profitability eg, the $4999 deck with lighting and a fan.

For this, your OWN website and an advertising budget is what I recommend. Then a budget for Adwords and Facebook ads.

But first things first – get those early jobs, do them well and collect both pictures (before and after) and testemonials from your paying customers.

Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.