Home – New Forums Starting your journey Do I need to include number of revisions in web development work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    flyer
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up
    ::

In a new project, I will be creating web pages based on the supplied designs by the client. I submitted my quotation without the number of revisions. The client is now asking if my quote includes any revisions. I am thinking of charging revisions as extra work at my ordinary hourly rates. Is it fine to do that or are revisions necessary to include in the quote?

Kathy Creaner
    • Total posts: 152
    Up
    flyer, post: 173085 wrote:
    In a new project, I will be creating web pages based on the supplied designs by the client.

As the designs are supplied by the client, I personally would not include revisions in the quote. However, your client may request a revision once they have seen their design translated into a website. As the client is requesting them, they would be billable. Perhaps you could include a quote amendment, with an hourly rate for revisions. It may also be a good idea to include a quote and approve cycle (change request) arrangement to help the client control their costs (and their enthusiasms).

All the best with winning the business.

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Flyer,

I would incorporate maybe 1 revision into your original quote, but then advise that additional revisions are charged either per revision or per hour.

Even though the client has given you the design, there are times where something needs to be tweaked just a little and it isn’t apparent until you see it from the designer (I know this myself).

It may come down to how much you have charged for the original quote and how much you want the client – if you can afford to include 1 revision then do so, otherwise tell them that it will cost extra – as long as the extra is not much compared to the original quote there shouldn’t be a problem….

Regards,

Mark

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I use designs provided to me from a client or sub-contractor.
    I don’t include revisions in the quote, but I do specify that major design changes will incur a fee relative to the time taken to do the work.
    There’s always going to be a few odds and sods at the end and I don’t explicitly charge for them, but changing layouts, for example, will incur a fee from me.

One big tip, go over those designs carefully when you get them. Too often they’ve been done by someone with an eye for graphic design but little concept of the dynamic nature of the web.
    e.g. what happens when the text in that box increases to 4 lines instead of 3?
    what if that graphic isn’t exactly 400px x 700px?
    Make sure they know if it won’t be possible to make a responsive site out of the designs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.