Home – New Forums Money matters Do I need to tax return if I haven’t started trading yet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bubbles23
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m in the process of establishing a business. I’ve spend about $5000 so far but I haven’t started trading yet; so no income.

Do I still need to lodge a tax return even though I haven’t earned any money yet? Can I claim my expenses thus far?

Thanks so much.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi – have you earned income from other sources at all? Or earned interest on bank accounts or investments?

You can’t claim against new business expenses until you have turned over (gross) $20K.

Start at this ATO page and answer the questions on each page and it should help you. You may need to put in a return saying income nil. If you are still confused then give the ATO a call.
    http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Lodge14.XR4&go=ok&anchor=DoINeedToLodge#DoINeedToLodge

Cheers.

Bubbles23
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Karen.

I have earned an income elsewhere as I am employed.

This business I am starting is in a partnership. We have both contributed the same initial fundings into our business account and all our start up costs have come from the business account.

Thanks so much for the link.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.