Home – New Forums Tech talk Do I really need to worry about SEO & Position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I have read a lot on this forum (and other places) about SEO, making google confused, fresh content, etc, etc….

Now I do understand the benefits of all this, but what I am really wanting in a web presence that allows me to show people what we do and our features, as well as provide useful content for our current clients and people in our industry in general.

So what I am hoping to place on my new website is:

a. information about our company and products;

b. contact information;

c. blog/latest news that will provide training videos (one day linked to our youtube channel), informative content and other general news about our products and industry, and links to our past newsletters.

I have read that you can confuse google by putting too much of the same things, but what I want to know is do I really need to care if my website is going to be very targeted towards our clients as well as our marketing efforts?

Will people still be able to find us in google if they type in our name, instead of keywords if I do confuse the situation too much by not caring??

Any useful tips would be appreciated (and I hope that I made sense :)).

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

It all depends really – do you want potential new customers to find you by searching for the product keywords that you sell? If you’re happy just keeping your existing customers, I’d say don’t bother with SEO, but if you want to attract more of them, you will have to somehow reach those new leads.

SEO helps to get natural or organic search traffic (free) – people that are looking for what you have to sell. Not every business will benefit from it equally, it depends on the product and audience you’re trying to get.

Having a site that exactly describes who you are, what you do, and what you can do for people is precisely what you need. SEO just means placing all the bits together in the most favourable way for search engines to recognise your site’s relevancy to the product.

BranchingOut, post: 100033 wrote:
    Hi All,

I have read a lot on this forum (and other places) about SEO, making google confused, fresh content, etc, etc….

Now I do understand the benefits of all this, but what I am really wanting in a web presence that allows me to show people what we do and our features, as well as provide useful content for our current clients and people in our industry in general.

b. contact information;

c. blog/latest news that will provide training videos (one day linked to our youtube channel), informative content and other general news about our products and industry, and links to our past newsletters.

I have read that you can confuse google by putting too much of the same things, but what I want to know is do I really need to care if my website is going to be very targeted towards our clients as well as our marketing efforts?

Will people still be able to find us in google if they type in our name, instead of keywords if I do confuse the situation too much by not caring??

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

It all depends really – do you want potential new customers to find you by searching for the product keywords that you sell? If you’re happy just keeping your existing customers, I’d say don’t bother with SEO, but if you want to attract more of them, you will have to somehow reach those new leads.

SEO helps to get natural or organic search traffic (free) – people that are looking for what you have to sell. Not every business will benefit from it equally, it depends on the product and audience you’re trying to get.

Having a site that exactly describes who you are, what you do, and what you can do for people is precisely what you need. SEO just means placing all the bits together in the most favourable way for search engines to recognise your site’s relevancy to the product.

BranchingOut, post: 100033 wrote:
    Hi All,

b. contact information;

SamanthaE
    Up

Thanks Bob. Everyone wants new customers :D So I guess search engine visability is important!

But what about confusing Google?? A lot of our content will be around very similar keywords that are found on the other pages of our website??

I guess what I am trying to get at does that really matter about the keyword overload?

SamanthaE
    Up

Thanks Bob. Everyone wants new customers :D So I guess search engine visability is important!

But what about confusing Google?? A lot of our content will be around very similar keywords that are found on the other pages of our website??

I guess what I am trying to get at does that really matter about the keyword overload?

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Where exactly are you placing the keywords?

Cheers
    Corey

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Where exactly are you placing the keywords?

Cheers
    Corey

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Samantha,
    “Keywords” is a term Google uses to mean any search phrase or words that people type into the search box. When they search for a company name, the company name becomes a “keyword”.

It is simple to rank #1 for a company name search if it is an unsual name and if it also occurs in your domain name. Include it in your Home page title and that should be enough.

I can’t imagine you are going to “confuse” Google with these elements implemented on your Home page.

Where website owners often miss out is in not thinking through the variations of company name searches that people may use. I’ve seen examples where hundreds of variations of a single company name search was used in a few months.

A common one is the inclusion of a capital city in the search phrase. If you don’t list your address or if the only location word on your entire site is a suburb name on Contact Us, you could miss out when people type (company name) + (capital city).

Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Samantha,
    “Keywords” is a term Google uses to mean any search phrase or words that people type into the search box. When they search for a company name, the company name becomes a “keyword”.

It is simple to rank #1 for a company name search if it is an unsual name and if it also occurs in your domain name. Include it in your Home page title and that should be enough.

I can’t imagine you are going to “confuse” Google with these elements implemented on your Home page.

Where website owners often miss out is in not thinking through the variations of company name searches that people may use. I’ve seen examples where hundreds of variations of a single company name search was used in a few months.

A common one is the inclusion of a capital city in the search phrase. If you don’t list your address or if the only location word on your entire site is a suburb name on Contact Us, you could miss out when people type (company name) + (capital city).

Regs,
    JohnW

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

If the content is inside your website it doesnt matter… if the keywords is inside your content it doesnt matter google will still rank you on the keywords depending on the other efforts you do and what other back links you have.

Make sure your youtube channel starts with your domain name for description make sure you have a facebook page with your website embedded and make sure you have a google place with your website also and your keywords. Send it to friends and clients to give you good reviews it all sits well with King Google.

Also make sure your site has a robots.txt and a sitemap.

These are the min that you have to worry about depending on your keywords.

Phillip P
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

If the content is inside your website it doesnt matter… if the keywords is inside your content it doesnt matter google will still rank you on the keywords depending on the other efforts you do and what other back links you have.

Make sure your youtube channel starts with your domain name for description make sure you have a facebook page with your website embedded and make sure you have a google place with your website also and your keywords. Send it to friends and clients to give you good reviews it all sits well with King Google.

Also make sure your site has a robots.txt and a sitemap.

These are the min that you have to worry about depending on your keywords.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Samantha,

As John says its easy to rank for your own business name and as Bob says you can do some SEO to appeal to new customers if thats what you want.

Your initial question is not unusual. I have a couple of friends who are horrified at the thought of SEO, they do NOT want strangers finding them in search engines as they do not want to field the phone enquiries from time wasters. To them, their sites are a ‘brochure’ for people they already deal with, or are pitching to.

Sounds strange to marketers but there are lots of folk like that around…

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Samantha,

As John says its easy to rank for your own business name and as Bob says you can do some SEO to appeal to new customers if thats what you want.

Your initial question is not unusual. I have a couple of friends who are horrified at the thought of SEO, they do NOT want strangers finding them in search engines as they do not want to field the phone enquiries from time wasters. To them, their sites are a ‘brochure’ for people they already deal with, or are pitching to.

Sounds strange to marketers but there are lots of folk like that around…

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Samantha,

Your site should atleast meet the basic seo – Like make sure every page has a title…Make sure every page has a good meta description…Make sure every page has a reasonably understandle name (like contacts.html and not 12222.html)

Sandy Naidu
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Samantha,

Your site should atleast meet the basic seo – Like make sure every page has a title…Make sure every page has a good meta description…Make sure every page has a reasonably understandle name (like contacts.html and not 12222.html)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.