Home – New Forums Tech talk Do I really need to worry about SEO & Position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

A website must support your communications objectives.

Too often they don’t.

Too often you see websites where someone has suggested the business targets some frequently used search phrase. That can result in an incredible waste of time replying to enquiries from people who are not really targeted customers.

I keep telling clients about this issue. Then they complain when they ignore the advice.

Regs,
    JohnW

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

A website must support your communications objectives.

Too often they don’t.

Too often you see websites where someone has suggested the business targets some frequently used search phrase. That can result in an incredible waste of time replying to enquiries from people who are not really targeted customers.

I keep telling clients about this issue. Then they complain when they ignore the advice.

Regs,
    JohnW

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    Aidan, post: 100064 wrote:
    Hi Samantha,

As John says its easy to rank for your own business name and as Bob says you can do some SEO to appeal to new customers if thats what you want.

Your initial question is not unusual. I have a couple of friends who are horrified at the thought of SEO, they do NOT want strangers finding them in search engines as they do not want to field the phone enquiries from time wasters. To them, their sites are a ‘brochure’ for people they already deal with, or are pitching to.

Sounds strange to marketers but there are lots of folk like that around…

It’s true that many people don’t want to be found in the search engines, as they assume that the only visitors they want will type the domain name directly into the address bar. The only problem with this assumption is that the people looking for your site will use the address bar – it’s surprising the number of people I deal with who don’t know that there even IS an address bar – they just type everything into Google search and then click on the first result, even if they have the full address!

I’d suggest that at a minimum, every website needs to be indexed by Google and rank #1 for their domain name and company name. It’s not hard to accomplish and shouldn’t result in too many time wasters.

I’d also challenge the assumption that getting found by searchers will result in time wasting phone calls etc. This would suggest that the website hasn’t been properly thought out and implemented with a clear intention in mind. If you don’t want people to call you – say so on the website!

Cheers,
    John

John C.
    Up
    Aidan, post: 100064 wrote:
    Hi Samantha,

As John says its easy to rank for your own business name and as Bob says you can do some SEO to appeal to new customers if thats what you want.

Your initial question is not unusual. I have a couple of friends who are horrified at the thought of SEO, they do NOT want strangers finding them in search engines as they do not want to field the phone enquiries from time wasters. To them, their sites are a ‘brochure’ for people they already deal with, or are pitching to.

Sounds strange to marketers but there are lots of folk like that around…

It’s true that many people don’t want to be found in the search engines, as they assume that the only visitors they want will type the domain name directly into the address bar. The only problem with this assumption is that the people looking for your site will use the address bar – it’s surprising the number of people I deal with who don’t know that there even IS an address bar – they just type everything into Google search and then click on the first result, even if they have the full address!

I’d suggest that at a minimum, every website needs to be indexed by Google and rank #1 for their domain name and company name. It’s not hard to accomplish and shouldn’t result in too many time wasters.

I’d also challenge the assumption that getting found by searchers will result in time wasting phone calls etc. This would suggest that the website hasn’t been properly thought out and implemented with a clear intention in mind. If you don’t want people to call you – say so on the website!

Cheers,
    John

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

What google want is for your website to be written & designed for your market/customers. They want relevant, engaging content. If you achieve this then google will “like” your site.
    If you are sending people there via offline marketing methods and you’re happy with the amount of visits, then the rest probably IS irrelevant..
    If you want to increase the # of visits (in turn $$) then you will need to optimize your site – both onsite & offsite.
    Cheers
    Trish

TrishF
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

What google want is for your website to be written & designed for your market/customers. They want relevant, engaging content. If you achieve this then google will “like” your site.
    If you are sending people there via offline marketing methods and you’re happy with the amount of visits, then the rest probably IS irrelevant..
    If you want to increase the # of visits (in turn $$) then you will need to optimize your site – both onsite & offsite.
    Cheers
    Trish

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 100104 wrote:

Cheers,
    John

hi John,

I suppose there are some folk who would fall into the category you might be thinking of but I can assure you the examples I am thinking of are quite savvy and their markets certainly know how to access a website without needing a search engine.

So based on those quite cluey people I would disagree that every website should be indexed – in fact they have taken the necesary steps to ensure that does not happen.

Yes getting found by the wrong people would indeed be a huge waste of time for them too… and their sites are VERY well thought out!

We as a community really need to understand that a website is a tool that can be used in many ways. There have been way too many arguments here from well meaning but misinformed folks who insist they know what everyone else really wants!

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up
    onsiteTECHS, post: 100104 wrote:

Cheers,
    John

hi John,

I suppose there are some folk who would fall into the category you might be thinking of but I can assure you the examples I am thinking of are quite savvy and their markets certainly know how to access a website without needing a search engine.

So based on those quite cluey people I would disagree that every website should be indexed – in fact they have taken the necesary steps to ensure that does not happen.

Yes getting found by the wrong people would indeed be a huge waste of time for them too… and their sites are VERY well thought out!

We as a community really need to understand that a website is a tool that can be used in many ways. There have been way too many arguments here from well meaning but misinformed folks who insist they know what everyone else really wants!

John C.
    Up
    Aidan, post: 100160 wrote:
    hi John,

Yes of course, there are certainly individual circumstances that call for very specific needs, and I wouldn’t want to suggest that everyone needs to same thing out of their website or technology – even if that is how my last post came across.

I wanted to highlight the fact that it’s important to realise that not all computer and internet users use the technology in the same way as we might (we being the business owners, web designers, marketers, etc) – therefore we need to consider all the possible repercussions of a decision such as to disallow the indexing of a site by Google.

Cheers,
    John

John C.
    Up
    Aidan, post: 100160 wrote:
    hi John,

Yes of course, there are certainly individual circumstances that call for very specific needs, and I wouldn’t want to suggest that everyone needs to same thing out of their website or technology – even if that is how my last post came across.

I wanted to highlight the fact that it’s important to realise that not all computer and internet users use the technology in the same way as we might (we being the business owners, web designers, marketers, etc) – therefore we need to consider all the possible repercussions of a decision such as to disallow the indexing of a site by Google.

Cheers,
    John

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your helpful replies.

From reading all of this, I think in the first instance I need to ensure that the content that I provide on my website is relevant to the market that i wish to engage with – and not worry so much about everything else at this moment.

I think that by doing this and supporting it with my offline marketing it should achieve what I want in the short term.

Once I get my head around everything else SEO & Google related, I will concentrate on this as a secondary in 6 months or so.

Thanks again all :)

SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your helpful replies.

From reading all of this, I think in the first instance I need to ensure that the content that I provide on my website is relevant to the market that i wish to engage with – and not worry so much about everything else at this moment.

I think that by doing this and supporting it with my offline marketing it should achieve what I want in the short term.

Once I get my head around everything else SEO & Google related, I will concentrate on this as a secondary in 6 months or so.

Thanks again all :)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Lately I’m noticing many businesses abandoning more traditional channels of marketing and putting all of their eggs into the SEO basket.

Sure, it can really work well for people, but many don’t really seem to be that concerned about ROI. They get to the top of Google and then crack open the champagne.

But being at the top of Google doesn’t necessarily mean the world is suddenly drop everything and start buying things from you. It also doesn’t guarantee that the good people at Google aren’t going to suddenly change their algorithm and send your site south.

Enter: My plan for World domination.
    While everyone’s out researching keywords and building backlinks, I’m gonna put on a nice shirt, meet their customers in person, buy them a beer and win. ;)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Lately I’m noticing many businesses abandoning more traditional channels of marketing and putting all of their eggs into the SEO basket.

Sure, it can really work well for people, but many don’t really seem to be that concerned about ROI. They get to the top of Google and then crack open the champagne.

But being at the top of Google doesn’t necessarily mean the world is suddenly drop everything and start buying things from you. It also doesn’t guarantee that the good people at Google aren’t going to suddenly change their algorithm and send your site south.

While everyone’s out researching keywords and building backlinks, I’m gonna put on a nice shirt, meet their customers in person, buy them a beer and win. ;)

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 100213 wrote:

One of the smartest replies I’ve seen. There seems to be a lot of individuals with the perception that being at the top of Google, social marketing and websites e.t.c is the key to business success. How wrong they are!!! Get back to reality people and realise that the building-blocks of a successful business is not Internet based.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.