Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Do Not Call Register For Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Kenny
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi All

My Name is Kenny Deal owner and Founder of My Head Office,Australia’s first Data protection and do not call register for business.We are ready to help you stop those annoying telemarketing people disrupting your day.I look forward to being an active member and with some luck speak with most of you very soon.

Cheers

Kenny

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to Flying Solo =)

I have a feeling you are going to be very popular around here! We have talked about the need for a do not call register for business MANY times.

Do you have a website we can look at, or can you give us any more info about your service?

All the best,
    Jayne

Kenny
    Up

Hi Jayne,
    We launch on the 4th of next month.I have a web site under construction as we speak.I am however limited to 500 clients in the first 12 months as I have a few hoops to jump through.I have been granted partial government funding and they have restricted me for the first year so they can monitor the response from business.I have half that quota already!! however I will let you guy’s know more when we are 100% operational.

Cheers

Kenny

victorng
    • Total posts: 626
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 50139 wrote:
    I have a feeling you are going to be very popular around here! We have talked about the need for a do not call register for business MANY times.

Interesting. The Small Business Council of Australia lobbied pretty hard for the DNCR Act not to be extended to include business numbers on the basis that it would restrict small businesses from making B2B marketing calls (it’s not just about call centre telemarketers).

Don’t mean to derail Kenny’s intro and welcome, just an observation.

I’d be interested in how your business works too, Kenny.

Cheers
    Victor

smallspark
    • Total posts: 42
    Up
    victorng, post: 50146 wrote:
    Interesting. The Small Business Council of Australia lobbied pretty hard for the DNCR Act not to be extended to include business numbers on the basis that it would restrict small businesses from making B2B marketing calls (it’s not just about call centre telemarketers).

I personally do not agree with the SBCA stance that businesses should have the right to make unsolicited calls to other businesses that have gone out of their way to state that they don’t want to receive those types of calls.

Surely businesses can’t be getting a high response rate from cold-calling other businesses that would be annoyed enough about spam calls to list themselves on a do-not-call register? I suspect that if you were cold-calling you could increase your response rate by doing the right thing and removing people who have opted-out from your list.

Keen to hear more about what you are offering, Kenny – this is an annoying and distracting problem for me.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Yes, it is one of those discussions that has two very passionate sides! On one hand businesses need to be able to effectively sell their services, but they are also ‘consumers’ that don’t necessarily like to recieve calls.

Interestingly, in futurist Craig Rispin’s presentation yesterday at Flying Solo LIVE! he presented some stats asking business leaders how they would like to be sold to in the future, and telephone was well down the list.

Regardless of the regulations, I think you’ve got to look at the most cost-effective marketing options for your business appropriate to your audience and industry – the telephone has it’s place but needs to be used thoughtfully along with all the other options.

Will follow the discussion with interest :)

Cheers
    Peter

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    smallspark, post: 50155 wrote:
    Surely businesses can’t be getting a high response rate from cold-calling other businesses that would be annoyed enough about spam calls to list themselves on a do-not-call register? I suspect that if you were cold-calling you could increase your response rate by doing the right thing and removing people who have opted-out from your list.

I don’t actually tend to agree with this. It’s a case of baby being thown out with the bath water.

Say a receptionist is sick to death of some annoying person ringing up constantly trying to sell say toner cartridges, long distance phone services, or, heaven forbid, SEO and website directory listings. They then get frustrated and list the company on the do not call list as a reaction one particular unprofessional telemarketer, without even thinking about any further implications.

If this then makes it illegal for your or I as a micro small business to contact that same business via phone, with the intention of establishing a business relationship (ie a sales call) even if they were a local business in your area. I think that is just rubbish. Remember, it’s not just telemarketing centers it affects, it’s ALL business to business cold calls.

I believe small business owners like us need to put our “business owner” hat on, not our “annoyed consumer” hat on when thinking about this issue. Far from trying to push for us to stop being bothered, I believe we need to look at the future implications on our own businesses, and fight to stop business listings on the do not call list, not to get them on!

I mean no personal offence to you Kenny and your new business idea, but I really don’t like it and I agree with the Small Business Council that this sort of thing is a bad idea.
    Matt

smallspark
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 50175 wrote:
    They then get frustrated and list the company on the do not call list as a reaction one particular unprofessional telemarketer, without even thinking about any further implications.

I think that maybe people don’t get enough credit for being able to make their own decisions about how they want to be contacted.

Some businesses genuinely do not want to receive unsolicited sales calls, regardless of whether it is from someone who has been annoying them – or someone who would like to start annoying them in the future.

I think that businesses who use this type of marketing just need to roll with the fact that not everyone wants to receive marketing in that form.

They already use all sorts of sophisticated means of targeting their call lists, I don’t really understand why they refuse to target the group of people who are going to be more open and receptive – they have got to be an exponentially greater chance of becoming customers.

marketingweb
    Up
    smallspark, post: 50182 wrote:
    I think that maybe people don’t get enough credit for being able to make their own decisions about how they want to be contacted.

This statement presumes that the receptionist on the front desk is personally speaking for the entire business. I’ve called businesses myself before where i’ve had to get past a gatekeeper (who was really tough), and then had the real decision maker absolutely delighted that i’ve called as I’m able to solve the exact problem they were having at that time.

Some businesses genuinely do not want to receive unsolicited sales calls, regardless of whether it is from someone who has been annoying them – or someone who would like to start annoying them in the future.

All advertising is by nature intrustive, thats a given. It interupts people’s day, and tries to get their attention away from what they are doing. This doesn’t make all advertising bad, and the ablity to advertise one’s business is a function of a capitalist society.

There of course has to be restrictions re deceptive conduct etc, but it concerns me when things get restricted too far, and it’s made too easy for one narrow person to make decisions on behalf of an entire company. If on the other hand it needed a signed declaration from the business owner/managing director to get on the list rather than a simple online form, this may work as only those who truly wanted to be blocked would be, and those who are just being reactionary wouldn’t bother.

They already use all sorts of sophisticated means of targeting their call lists, I don’t really understand why they refuse to target the group of people who are going to be more open and receptive – they have got to be an exponentially greater chance of becoming customers.

Most smart marketers and sales people DO target their call lists, based on all sort of things – industry sector, location, company size, job title, the list goes on. In bigger organisations this is very formal, in smaller ones it may be as simple as looking in your local phone book all the companies in an industry you service and giving them a call. This sort of thing I see as essential to the flow of commerce.

The problem isn’t this, it’s brute force marketers often based overseas. These don’t target anything beyond “it’s a business”, and they call EVERYONE. The % of hits is less, but when you are paying wages in India or similar countries you can afford to be less discerning.

I personally think a far better strategy would be to forget do not call lists, and simply ban all telemarketing calls originating from overseas. How to implement this via the phone system technology wise I don’t know, but if possible it would greatly stem the use of brute force marketers marking untargetted calls on irrelevant products. Maybe it’s not a technology solution at all, and the ACCC could come down on the companies whose products are the ones being marketed.

Matt

smallspark
    Up
    marketingweb, post: 50186 wrote:
    If on the other hand it needed a signed declaration from the business owner/managing director to get on the list rather than a simple online form, this may work as only those who truly wanted to be blocked would be, and those who are just being reactionary wouldn’t bother.

I would agree with that point, I think that sounds like a perfectly reasonable requirement for organisations over a certain size.

I personally think a far better strategy would be to forget do not call lists, and simply ban all telemarketing calls originating from overseas.

I don’t think it’s fair to have one rule for Australian businesses and another for overseas businesses. Brute force marketers exist everywhere.

In bigger organisations this is very formal, in smaller ones it may be as simple as looking in your local phone book all the companies in an industry you service and giving them a call. This sort of thing I see as essential to the flow of commerce.

No one is proposing to stop this sort of thing from going on – only that businesses who want to do that wash their list first. All you have to do is throw it all in an Excel file and use the tools on the do not call register website.

If it was so essential to the flow of commerce, you would have seen that in countries like the United Kingdom where you have been able to register a business on the do not call list since 2004.

Kenny
    Up

I am happy with all of your comments as I understand that this service is not for all.This type of service will be used by the business person to busy to take this type of call.
    I do not however share the belief that it will harm ALL business, that type of nonsense is spin used by marketing people in response to the ever growing objection by the average Australian business owner sick of this type of interruption to their day.

My Head Office is not a legislated solution it is a paid user service no different then virus protection for your computer however, it will stop ALL direct sales people dead in their tracks.

I have been in sales and marketing for over twenty years and have witnessed the bastardization of our industry.This type of service will give back the power to the business owner.He/She will choose who they speak to and when and for how long.

I have one very simple goal give you back your time spent wasted on marketing calls.If this is for you then we can help if not then thank you for your interest in my business and we will just have to agree to disagree.

Cheers

Kenny

marketingweb
    Up
    smallspark, post: 50190 wrote:
    I don’t think it’s fair to have one rule for Australian businesses and another for overseas businesses. Brute force marketers exist everywhere.
    This you are probably right on, plus there would be too much outcry. I’m just thinking where most of the nusense calls come from.

smallspark, post: 50190 wrote:
    No one is proposing to stop this sort of thing from going on – only that businesses who want to do that wash their list first. All you have to do is throw it all in an Excel file and use the tools on the do not call register website.

I guess my point is this. If it is too easy to get on the do not call list for business, and people jump on it willy nilly, then potentially half the businesses in the phone book may not be able to be called.

Businesses who are trying to stop getting phone calls from Indian telemarketers selling them phone services will inadvertently block people like you and me from calling them as they probably don’t even mentally think someone who has researched them and has a specific and genuine interest in their business as coming under that category – even though they will. I hate making cold calls myself, but I see it as part of business.

Two favorite quotes of mine (directed at the practices of telemarketers, NOT the posters on this forum)

I disagree with what you have to say but will fight to the death to protect your right to say it.
    Voltaire

and

First they came for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one
    left to speak up for me.
    -Martin Niemoller, an Anti-Nazi German Pastor during WWII (Various versions of this exist with different people they “came after” in the quote)

Matt

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

If the telemarketers abided by the ‘I don’t need your service please do not call back’ as an honour system, it would not be so invasive.

It’s the ones that keep calling day after day, especially to solos who have noone else to take the call, that are the nuisance calls.

In business you should be able to call someone but you should also honour their request not to call again.

If people honoured the requests to be removed from that particular list, it would be so much better for everyone.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

what if there is no receptionist on the front desk? I answer the phone and TBH it makes me cross when the phone rings and it’s yet another call from someone wanting to sell me advertising for Google…..

I once had a call from someone who wouldn’t take no for an answer, I hung up on him and he had the cheek to phone back and blow raspberries down the phone. May have seemed pretty harmless to him but it freaked me out – apart from the fact it was completely unprofessional.

So yes, if there was such a register I would be the first to sign up!

marketingweb
    Up
    bridiej, post: 50208 wrote:
    what if there is no receptionist on the front desk? I answer the phone and TBH it makes me cross when the phone rings and it’s yet another call from someone wanting to sell me advertising for Google…..

I once had a call from someone who wouldn’t take no for an answer, I hung up on him and he had the cheek to phone back and blow raspberries down the phone. May have seemed pretty harmless to him but it freaked me out – apart from the fact it was completely unprofessional.

So yes, if there was such a register I would be the first to sign up!

Hi Bridie,

I actually agree with you that there is an issue with the way telemarketing is done, and that is just horrible to be so unprofessional. Reading back over my own posts I could have come across the wrong way, and I don’t want to be seen as promoting the worst of telemarketing being allowed, which is what you have been experienced.

All I am trying to make a point about is that there are legitimate uses of the telephone as a sales and marketing tool, despite the fact many here don’t want to admit that when on the receiving end, but may still see the need for cold calling for their own business.

I also wanted to make a point in response to Kerry’s point about “spin by marketing people” as I believe it was directed at me. Just to be clear, I’m NOT in the telemarketing/telesales industry at all, I hate cold calling (it still makes me a little nervous) and don’t think I’ve cold called anyone for any business in more than 12 months. But, even though I hate cold calling, I like to reserve my right to do so. I would hate to be in a situation where I came across a business that I had some fantastic idea specific to them that I thought they would like, but wasn’t allowed to call them.

The other point is that businesses are made up of many different people – in the businesses of most here the business “is the person”, in even businesses of 10+ people it’s not always the case. One person frustrated at a particular telemarketer does not equate to the whole company not being interested, but if one person puts a company on the list then it’s all over, even if other people in the organization are receptive contacts.

Fact is most successful small businesses sell to bigger businesses. If these bigger businesses are able to block incoming sales calls, that puts a big void in the marketing tactics for many genuine small businesses, hence the opposition to it. Remember, while this marketing of small to large business includes other push channels (push is where you make the contact) these are proven to be more successful when followed up with a phone call. Relying on pull based marketing channels (where you wait for people to contact you from your advertising etc) just isn’t effective in most cases if you want to scale things up from having enough work to keep you busy to growing a business. The one exception of a pull technology that works in volumes is SEO which is one reason I love the concept – i’m more personally comfortable with pull based marketing than push based marketing.

Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.