Home – New Forums Tech talk Do people still use faxes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    ::

Hello there,

I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on facsimiles and their obsolescence?

I hate having to print something, sign it, then scan it to PDF in order to email it (which is my current practice as I don’t have a fax). What do people typically do when getting proposals signed remotely or NDA’s or things like that?

Are people still using fax machines for such things, or are they out?

Thank you

abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up

YES Fax is still around and it can be a pretty poweful marketing tool :)

I regularly do fax outs to real estate agent and resort property managers with offers of how Abacus Screens can help them.

Why fax and not email?? I do email from time to time but I have found that consistantly fax outs perform better. Why? I think it is because faxouts are rare now. If the fax rings people actually look at it :)

I time our faxouts to arrive at the fax machine at around 9:30am on a Monday morning. The girls have had their “how was your weekend chat”, had that all important 1st cuppa and have started to go through the “problems” that tenants have left over the weekend. All of a sudden the fax rings and reminds them that bacus Screens can help:)

…………..Then OUR phone rings :D

The other thing I like about fax is it is cheap…targeted…and NOT subject to spam laws!!!.

My 2c

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

apparently they are still in use.
    suppliers often ask if I have a fax #
    Untill recently I didnt have a scanner either, then a customer asked if I could use a printer, almost said no then discovered it had scanner, photocopy facilities so took it home.

paulc8712
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

We use a virtual fax service – as we sometimes need to receive signed documents from our customers. It works well for us. we don’t need a dedicate line or fax machine. we simply receive an email with a PDF attachment.

We rarely need to send faxes. Only if a customer has no email address – and we use the same service to do email to fax.

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Maybe two or three times a year I get asked for my fax number.
    I don’t use it anymore.

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

last time was probably in 1996 to send a fax to my parent when traveling!

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Oddly enough I was about to start a new post looking for a good cheap low volume online fax service for sending faxes.

I’ve got a 1800 number fax for incoming faxes and yes, I get quite a few clients fax me their credit card details so it’s still quite commonly used and very convenient.

But if anyone knows a good service to send faxes over the internet I’d love to know.

Thanks

Hugh

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

We have a separate fax but no longer advertise it. There are some people who still find faxing preferable to email.

On a weekly basis I also fax advice and fax proofs to newspapers/magazines to which I send client adverts by email, so that they know which weekly advert to use. It’s a backup and has avoided the wrong ad going in the wrong issue a few times.

I can see however that there will be a time where I stop doing that when the companies themselves no longer have fax machines.

DS_BVS
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi

I use both faxes & scanning and still receive and send a few faxes. It can be quite a good tool for marketing purposes as mentioned above, because it normally rings and you tend to notice pages falling all over the place. It is surprising that a lot of people still don’t scan.

It’s a bit like different accounting programs, you have to match the technology and degree of skill to the operator.

cheers

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I have a fax with my printer which I use for sending documents that are in hard copy.

I also have a virtual fax through OzeFax http://www.ozefax.net.au/ I don’t use it often for business but use it personally as I have a couple of deaf friends who use faxes.

youronlineadmin
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I use UTBox.net and they are great. I use them for incoming faxes as well as organising fax broadcasts for clients.

Hugh – UTBox pricing is approx 12 cents per page for broadcast faxes.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

But I HATE getting spam faxes…

mike_allen
    • Total posts: 74
    Up
    JohnSheppard, post: 41221 wrote:
    Hello there,

I was wondering what people’s thoughts are on facsimiles and their obsolescence?

I hate having to print something, sign it, then scan it to PDF in order to email it (which is my current practice as I don’t have a fax). What do people typically do when getting proposals signed remotely or NDA’s or things like that?

Are people still using fax machines for such things, or are they out?

Thank you
    Hi John, Your questions is more about business process than fax.

If I want to send a signed document I add a signature image at the bottom and then sign it using a digital signature, which I also use to sign the email. This is more than sufficient to satisfy the Electronic Transactions Act. I normally send a signed Word document, but you can sign a pdf in much the same way. I get my digital signatures from Comodo for around $20 a year, Verisign and other such providers can also do the trick. You can also use a signature for encryption of data such as credit card numbers, but I haven’t tried that.

Make your signature image with a transparent background for a nice look.

Back on the fax track I also used to fax invoices from the pc just using the phone, modem card and some Fax software.

Regards

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    mike_allen, post: 41455 wrote:
    Hi John, Your questions is more about business process than fax.

If I want to send a signed document I add a signature image at the bottom and then sign it using a digital signature, which I also use to sign the email. This is more than sufficient to satisfy the Electronic Transactions Act. I normally send a signed Word document, but you can sign a pdf in much the same way. I get my digital signatures from Comodo for around $20 a year, Verisign and other such providers can also do the trick. You can also use a signature for encryption of data such as credit card numbers, but I haven’t tried that.

Make your signature image with a transparent background for a nice look.

Back on the fax track I also used to fax invoices from the pc just using the phone, modem card and some Fax software.

Regards

There are still many, many times when a digitally signed document will not be accepted. This applies to putting it in a Word doc or into a PDF doc using something like Nitro PDF.

In the past month: 2 banks, solicitor have refused a document done this way. Had to print, sign and fax. Go figure.

Interestingly, for our wholase foot thongs business, despite having an easy order form, many people still like to fax their order through, either using our download-able form or on their own faxhead.

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

I recently HAD to buy a fax: I totally disagree with: having to print paper and file it, it works better for me to file it in my computer without printing it. I am very surprise to see how many people (clients) do not use a computer or a scanner. Lucky I found an excellent fax, like new on Ebay and bought for 6 dlls free shipping. I have use it quite a lot :(

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.