Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do you box your clients?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    ::

I thought I might raise a discussion about an interesting trend I’ve noticed of late.

Do you stereotype your clients, in the hope of making your target market feel more welcome? Do you consider the risk of alienating those you who missed?

I only bring it up because it’s happened to me quite a bit recently and quite a bit around the forums.

I walked into a Skin care shop the other day – I have problems with dry skin after shaving and need a quality moisturizer or I rash.

The lady in the shop asked me “Was I after something special for my missus”.

She’s said a whole of 8 words and already I want to walk out.

She made me:
    – Feel uncomfortable about being in that shop purchasing for myself.
    – Made the assumption that I was in a relationship (with a woman)

It happens so often when people come onto the forums asking “are there any woman who would be interested” or another similar stereotype – When in reality, the product is cross market.

I’m all for finding a niche and marketing to it – But not at the risk of alienating potential customers.

What are your thoughts?

– Jake

abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up

Nope…we treat everybody equal. We have learnt that even a real estate job for one flyscreen deserves 110% attention because that tenant may be a millionare in between houses. (has happened twice now :D )

The little old lady (who also may just want a door remesh coz the cat has scratched it) has a son or daughter who lives nearby or has a “friend at bowls”who needs a houselot of screens and blinds.

Just about EVERYBODY I know has a “lack of service”story like Emroy’s …

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Very true Abacus =)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I understand how you feel Jake. No, I try not to box my clients because I have been ‘boxed’ myself many times for varying reasons including being a woman, single or married, young, middle or old, blonde (bimbo) or brunette or intelligence and many more over the years.

My prior surname was of European origin and the number of people who treated me as if I couldn’t speak English or couldn’t understand anything was amazing. I know it was a long time ago, but it gave me an inkling as to what my first mother-in-law went through as a new immigrant. Nowadays, it’s more common for Australians born here to have all kinds or surnames, but when I was first married, it wasn’t so common.

A man should be able to purchase moisturisers and similar products regardless of their relationship status. I’m always glad to know that young people are protecting and looking after their skin, male or female, and there should not be any stigma to it.

I am sure there must be some salesperson out there who is more considerate – just keep trying. And keep using moisturiser. :)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Most customer contact I have with caricature business is with USA clients, so everyday I am dealing with what is, beneath the surface a very different culture. I have learnt no to read between the lines and take things at face value (No caricature/face pun intended…get it?). This is especially the case with New York clients who are like aliens…even fellow Americans cannot figure them out!

TizzBizz
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

It is a good point you raise Jake, and one (segmenting the marketplace…lots) that has been preached more and more of late.

While I think it is great to get a strong idea of who you wish to target, that should be the limit of it! Once someone walks into your store/ rings your number or sends you an email all of that should go out the window and you should just provide the best level of service to them possible. I find the best way of doing this is by listening intently and keeping in mind the ‘how can I help you?’ philosophy.

Good luck with the shaving too mate! :)

King
    Up

But does the 80/20 rule apply at times?

Says me, a man with a beard with no rash concerns.

TizzBizz
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    King, post: 40588 wrote:
    But does the 80/20 rule apply at times?

Says me, a man with a beard with no rash concerns.

Hey there King.

I think the 80/20 rule has been proven for long enough that you need to take it as a ‘truth of doing business’… okay that could be a slight stretch! ;) BUT first you need to find out about them, by speaking and listening, before they will choose to become a client and before you will have an idea as to the type of client they will be.

Cheers,

Kristian

King
    Up

I think between the lines I meant maybe the 80/20 rule is more outbound than inbound, but I do know that you can apply it to people who are right outside the 20%.

I do this often when people ring in for enquiries about how sms can help their business grow. A few quick questions soon identifies if they are in the 20% that deserve any time spent on them, or if they are the 80% who are tyre kickers and will never do anything because it is just some passing flash of inspiration and a quiet timer when they can steal some phone time at work… and have neither the ability, nor the organisation to set aside 10 minutes to even look at it properly so as to implement a simple yet amazing cost effective marketing/communications tool. Generally they are the ones who have called 6 other places and been identified as tyre kickers by them as well.

So on occasions, it can be worthwhile just saying no to some potentials, because they are never going to be true potentials.

James | Bay Beans coffee
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

Hi Emroy.

I think you were a victim of their target market, and perhaps the previous guy that was standing there uneasily in their shop was somewhat comforted and encouraged into a purchase for his missus – – Guess its a case of hit and missus. <-- oh, I am funny today! Sometimes sales people just say the wrong thing – I guess when you have that much confidence in yourself (and you have to have confidence to be a salesperson), they don’t pick up on those subtle things. but, your razor burn, perhaps I can offer a few suggestions? I had a website selling shaving gear for men a couple of years ago, and have lots of space in my brain taken up by all things shaving… if you dont already, try converting to using what your dad, or grandfather used – a single blade razor (many blades add to irritation), with pure badger hair brush (natural fibres better than nylon) and shave cream (not from a can, save for all those useless chemicals) and warm water (to open the skin ready for a shave) – your prep should include leaving the warm, wet shave cream on your face for at least 3-5 mins . give it a try, you will definately have a much better experience if this is not what you already do. I have more tips, but wont bore you. okay, one more, try a pre-shave oil as well.
    PS: Be rewarded for your good taste – http://www.baybeans.com.au/vip

James Axisa
    Bay Beans – caffeinated aromatherapy
    Buy online or call 8208 3477
    t 02 8208 3477 | m 0428 555 535
    http://www.baybeans.com.au | [email protected]

King
    Up
    Coffee_Coffee, post: 40610 wrote:
    if you dont already, try converting to using what your dad, or grandfather used – a single blade razor (many blades add to irritation), with pure badger hair brush (natural fibres better than nylon) and shave cream (not from a can, save for all those useless chemicals) and warm water (to open the skin ready for a shave) – your prep should include leaving the warm, wet shave cream on your face for at least 3-5 mins . give it a try, you will definately have a much better experience if this is not what you already do. I have more tips, but wont bore you. okay, one more, try a pre-shave oil as well.

Or grow a beard – real men have beards LOL!

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

when u ask “do you box your clients”, it comes across as “do you serve a niche market?” and yes i do. I know who i want to work with and who i don’t.

i believe in client discrimination. yes, i may loose revenue but i dont believe in profit maximisation at the expense of lifestyle.

The sales lady was probably trained in who her the target market is an acted accordingly. with the right strategy, you could have walked and complained on social media and it would not make a difference.

back in 2001, i was working at myers in the audio/video/computer sales section. at the time, Myer’s slogan was something like “the place for HER”. active word “HER”.

that’s what were trained for. we didn’t reject males but we understood who the target market was and that’s what we primarily catered to.

i am a true believer in if you sell to everyone, you get no one. there are riches in niches. not just a cliche.

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

It was Facebook that upset me most with their “boxing”

The age-related ads that they displayed to me before a recent big-0 birthday were for cool and groovy things. The day after I hit the big-0 birthday, I started to get ads aimed at grandmothers!

That’s when I started to use adblock. :)

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

My niche market is actually several different markets so I don’t box anyone. When I read your query I read it with the old fashioned meaning of the word when you’d get boxed around the ears.

That’s exactly why I’m here. I’ve been a member of WAHM forums of various names and run by various different people and I couldn’t get over missing the input from men. The best was one run by a husband and wife team but they changed their focus and I didn’t fit into that focus. I didn’t like being pigeon holed as a WAHM, the fact that I’m female is irrelevant to business. Irrelevant to my business, most especially, and I felt I needed advice from men as well as women.

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Poor Jake :)

But whilst I try to be very open minded (learnt that quickly), I did get a bit of a slap in the face (oh, the jokes are rolling in today!) when someone asked if her husband, who was about to become a stay at home dad, could come to our monthly Mother’s Group.

*slaps forehead* yes, men might want to come too…..

ETA – this finally made me google the man behind the phone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.