Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do you call your clients ?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #979432
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’m just doing a general poll.

    Two separate people (one a biz coach, the other a sales coach) have told me to get on the damn phone and call my clients.

    Why ? To touch base with them, to see if they need services and/or have thought about what they’re going to do for Christmas etc.

    What’s the problem ? I don’t call my clients unless something is wrong or I’m updating everyones’ details (which I was planning to do in Sept-October for Christmas).

    Just wondering, do you call your clients or have them call you ? Or do you email ?

    Do you email then follow up with a phone call ?

    Or do you wait for them to call you ?

    #1114253
    My Telemarketing Girl
    Member
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    0
    ::
    gcpets, post: 128041 wrote:
    I’m just doing a general poll.

    Two separate people (one a biz coach, the other a sales coach) have told me to get on the damn phone and call my clients.

    Why ? To touch base with them, to see if they need services and/or have thought about what they’re going to do for Christmas etc.

    What’s the problem ? I don’t call my clients unless something is wrong or I’m updating everyones’ details (which I was planning to do in Sept-October for Christmas).

    Just wondering, do you call your clients or have them call you ? Or do you email ?

    Do you email then follow up with a phone call ?

    Or do you wait for them to call you ?

    Keeping in touch with your clients via a phone call is a win win for all. Every time I call my clients (not always are they expecting the call) they are delighted to share how things are progressing for them along with letting me know they appreciate the call. Its just a nice touch and adds an element of ‘caring’. You only need to make 5 a day. If your call goes to message bank state the purpose of your call along with wishing them a great day. It will be appreciated!

    #1114254
    MatthewKeath
    Member
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    0
    ::

    A phone call is a great way to touch base with old clients for two reasons,

    1. They might have work for you.

    2. Keeps them in their mind and they may refer you to someone else.

    Plus it’s just nice to get a phone call rather than a email from time to time.

    gcpets, post: 128041 wrote:
    I’m just doing a general poll.

    Two separate people (one a biz coach, the other a sales coach) have told me to get on the damn phone and call my clients.

    Why ? To touch base with them, to see if they need services and/or have thought about what they’re going to do for Christmas etc.

    What’s the problem ? I don’t call my clients unless something is wrong or I’m updating everyones’ details (which I was planning to do in Sept-October for Christmas).

    Just wondering, do you call your clients or have them call you ? Or do you email ?

    Do you email then follow up with a phone call ?

    Or do you wait for them to call you ?

    #1114255
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    Depends on the context, if I have active jobs with a client, both calls and email.

    As a general sales pitch or social call, never.

    Maybe I’m just lucky at the moment but my problem is to stop them ringing me or emailing with more work.

    I avoid developing more personal relationships with client’s as a business tool, maybe I’m weird but work seems to spread into too much of our lives, especially with today’s technology, so I try to set boundaries. Plus if the relationship is not too personal it’s easier to cull them if their crap client’s.

    Basically I don’t give a rip what my client’s do for xmas as long as they’re not at my place.

    #1114256
    Warrenjc
    Member
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Vanessa

    Client relations are extremely important. The thing is, why are you calling?

    To market additional services? To increase the frequency of your services being engaged?

    Sure, get on the phone, but have a reason, and as you state, you only contact them when something is “wrong” or maybe more accurately, to seek instructions to provide a greater level of care for any given scenario?

    I would say that the common thread with your clients is the pets and the care involved. You know pets are like children to most.

    Sure, keep in contact. May I suggest that you introduce a shoot and send policy?

    Take a photo of their beloved pooch being all happy and doggy and stuff, and send it through to their email during the outing. Might take a bit of setting up, but hey, what doesnt?

    I got no idea of the logistics to do that, but one thing is for sure. If I was at work and got an email from the doggy sitter with my dawgs drooling mug, belting around the park with a grin ear to ear, THAT would make my day.

    And I tell ya what, I would feel real bad if I let my pooch miss out on that, and instead making him sit at home all day being lonely. It’s a feel good thing, everyone is happy, and you would no doubt increase the frequency of your client engaging your services.

    Just my 2cents

    Cheers

    Warren

    #1114257
    AngelaGirl
    Member
    • Total posts: 330
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi
    I’m a big emailer and tend to avoid phone calls because without fail, at least one of my girls will have a crisis the second I’m on a work call.

    That said, I know I should make more of an effort to get on the phone as it helps build trust as it’s more personal than email.

    I thought this recent FS article was really good at spelling out the benefits.. http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-marketing/your-small-business-marketing-plan

    #1114258
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Communicating with your client develops better client-customer relationship. You just have to find what your customer prefer, either phone or email. But nonetheless, communication is essential.

    #1114259
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    estim8, post: 128056 wrote:
    Basically I don’t give a rip what my client’s do for xmas as long as they’re not at my place.

    I mentioned Christmas because of the nature of my business (overnight live in pet/house sitting plus dog walking) …. Christmas is a hectic time of year without fail for me.

    The purpose was to start to awaken clients (new, old, regular) to really get their asses into gear to consider what they’re doing at Christmas. Plus for me personally (for the business) I’ll know how we’re positioned as such.

    #1114260
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Warrenjc, post: 128057 wrote:
    Sure, keep in contact. May I suggest that you introduce a shoot and send policy?

    Take a photo of their beloved pooch being all happy and doggy and stuff, and send it through to their email during the outing. Might take a bit of setting up, but hey, what doesnt?

    Hey Warren

    Great suggestion…. the only problem is we already do this :)

    When the client has contracted us to work for them we are in constant contact … facebook, email, sms …. whatever way they have told us they’d prefer. We send photos, video, or just an update (sms). Or leave handwritten notes :) or do both even.

    I’m talking about generally… between visits… between bookings… I generally don’t contact clients by phone. I’m all over social media & email. Plus everyone has the biz card on their fridge :)

    The purpose of the call would be a little bit social (to touch base with them) & to start trying to acquire some Christmas bookings. I’m already doing posts about this on social media plus have emails scheduled to do this too.

    I’m thinking I may stick with doing as I was planning to do – use my Send Out Cards system. I was going to send postcards to everyone with a reminder about Christmas. First my VIP clients, then the next “tier” and so forth.

    #1114261
    The Copy Chick
    Member
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    0
    ::

    Unless I have a specific reason to call, I tend to email clients.

    While I think the idea of calling just to touch base is nice, the reality for most business owners is that we’re busy people and often a phone call can be quite disruptive – especially if it’s for no other reason than “touching base”. While it might add value for YOU, it also needs to add value for the client.

    At least with an email, you can still show your client’s you are thinking of them, but they have the advantage of addressing your communication when it is convenient to them.

    I also tend to keep in touch with a number of clients through social media, which is probably less intrusive and just as informative as a phone call.

    #1114262
    Warrenjc
    Member
    • Total posts: 43
    Up
    0
    ::
    gcpets, post: 128076 wrote:
    Hey Warren

    Great suggestion…. the only problem is we already do this :)

    When the client has contracted us to work for them we are in constant contact … facebook, email, sms …. whatever way they have told us they’d prefer. We send photos, video, or just an update (sms). Or leave handwritten notes :) or do both even.

    I’m talking about generally… between visits… between bookings… I generally don’t contact clients by phone. I’m all over social media & email. Plus everyone has the biz card on their fridge :)

    The purpose of the call would be a little bit social (to touch base with them) & to start trying to acquire some Christmas bookings. I’m already doing posts about this on social media plus have emails scheduled to do this too.

    I’m thinking I may stick with doing as I was planning to do – use my Send Out Cards system. I was going to send postcards to everyone with a reminder about Christmas. First my VIP clients, then the next “tier” and so forth.

    Well Vanessa, you are already keeping contact and the whole “getting on the phone” thing is prob an activity that won’t net anymore gain.

    As you have stated, your clients have advised you in the manner they wish to be kept updated.

    If it aint broke, don’t fix it.

    Your business coaches may need to go back to the drawing board on that one, and perhaps this may be an indication your business needs to look at broadening its net to catch relevant information. I am sure they have, overall, provided many options for your assessment.

    In the words of Thomas Edison: “I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that won’t work”

    #1114263
    marketingweb
    Member
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    0
    ::

    Depends on the sort of business you have…

    If you are B2C (business to consumer), you probably wouldn’t call unless you had a very specific sort of business – certainly not to sell your customer anything.

    But if you are in B2B (business to business) sales, the picture changes.

    Of course every business is different, but there is a very good reason why businesses have “reps” who visit clients, or call their customers on the phone… it works! Of course if you are single person business with limited capacity and minimal growth plans, this is different.

    Marketing (as opposed to sales) is great, and sending your customers something and waiting for them to call you can work very well. Buf if you don’t get in your customers face with advertising, don’t send them anything in the mail or by email, and don’t call them – yet expect them to just think of you when they want something, well, we should all be so lucky.

    If the phone isn’t ringing do SOMETHING – develop and implement some marketing or direct mail, write a newsletter, call your customers to say hi or ask for a referal, whatever. Activity breeds opportunity!

    Matt

    #1114264
    tonyk
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    0
    ::

    I stick to the form of communication that my clients prefer, which is usually email.

    #1114265
    Leisa D
    Member
    • Total posts: 563
    Up
    0
    ::

    I don’t call my clients unless they ask me to, eg. if they’re having difficulty explainign what they want in an email.

    The reason? I find it really irritating if I’m happily working away – in “the zone” – and the phone rings; so I don’t inflict that type of annoyance on others.

    An important aspect of the service I offer my clients is ” convenience”. They have the option to see a job through to the end without ever having to schedule a meeting, pick up the phone, or even get dressed!

    They respond to my message (usually containing an artwork proof for their approval or revisions) when and how they please.

    #1114266
    Lawyer-Matthew-1
    Member
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    0
    ::

    Yes I call my clients.

    I am very open with my clients and see ourselves “in business together”. I think that rapport and business proximity can be best achieved by a phone call.

    However, email is great for a simple data exchance, or to provide my clients with the product they have requested.

    Kindest regards,
    Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.