Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do you call your clients ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::
    gcpets, post: 128041 wrote:
    I’m just doing a general poll.

Two separate people (one a biz coach, the other a sales coach) have told me to get on the damn phone and call my clients.

Why ? To touch base with them, to see if they need services and/or have thought about what they’re going to do for Christmas etc.

What’s the problem ? I don’t call my clients unless something is wrong or I’m updating everyones’ details (which I was planning to do in Sept-October for Christmas).

Just wondering, do you call your clients or have them call you ? Or do you email ?

Do you email then follow up with a phone call ?

Or do you wait for them to call you ?

it may not increase your sales this month, but it could give you advantage over your close competitors in the long run when your clients feel that you value them. Unless I have something new to offer, i email rather than call my long-time business contacts every now and then.

bigdipper
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

I personally don’t like it when my suppliers ring me to “catch up”. Usually I’m doing something and it breaks my concentration to listen to them.

Thus I wouldn’t like ringing others as I wouldn’t want to do that to them.

Using email or other social media to keep in contact i find to be less intrusive.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I touch base with past clients from time to time, but when I do I contact them via email as I know how annoying phone calls can sometimes be.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I send my clients (and others) a monthly newsletter with an update of what I’ve been doing, something about business in general and often showcase something about one of my clients. I know the newsletter gets read because I always get emails back from different people (not always the same people) commenting on something I wrote about. Have been doing this for many years. I was told a long time ago that the rule of marketing was to keep in touch, a minimum of every 90 days. So I do it every 30 by sending out a newsletter. Keeps them informed without making them feel I’m pressuring them for more work.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

In one of our business ringing our customers is NOT the thing to do. They are retailers and do not appreciate the interruption.

Physical sales calls also don’t work for the same reason, unless prepared to wait around for an hour while they serve customers/go to serve customers.

Hopefully your business coach knows your business well enough and therefore is prompting you to call, not just because their manual says this is something to suggest at this stage.

Lena
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

I don’t call clients unless there is something very important to say, or if there are updates that needs utmost attention, however calling clients is more personal and you can build good impression.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

I’m a little suprised by these answers – i’m NOT saying they are wrong, just suprised!

For those in B2C sales, 95% of the time wouldn’t recommend calling.

For B2B sales, i’m wondering if the answers would be different if we were talking to those in small, medium or large businesses, rather than as soloists!

As a soloist I hate getting calls from the same people over and over who I have no interest in – eg Callbox. I say NO, you people need to mark it down and don’t call me again!

HOWEVER, say when I’m involved in offering products to customers, if a potential new supplier rings me with a genuinely relevant new product, having specifically targetted me, I actually really appreciate this. By this i’m talking about an actual business person / sales person, NOT a telemarketer – the difference being they know the answers when I ask questions, they aren’t just an idiot reading a script.

For those who suggest not to call, especially not cold call – what is your answer to this:– In a previous business i’ve done work for big corporate customers – Rio Tinto, Clipsal, some of the superanuation funds, head offices of franchised groups, large hotel chains etc. This work was in some cases gained by cold calling and just working your way through to the right person. In other cases, someone responded to marketing, was called, helped them, then asked for other contacts in the organisation, called them, did the pitch etc. In ALL cases relationships were sustained and grown by getting on the phone and talking to them.

SO – How do you suggest getting in with big customers like these without ever picking up a phone and “interupting” their day? Or do you have no desire for this level of customer?

Another thought – marketing and especially advertising falls into two categories –
    A) Marketing which is there front and centre when people are looking for what you sell (Search Engine Marketing, Yellowpages), and
    B) The vast majority, that which “interupts”. An advert on TV or radio, a Billboard, display advertising on a website like this, a phone call, an email newsletter, an advertisment in a magazine, a catalogue in the mail, all are interuptions to someones time, line of sight, train of thought of similar. This doesn’t mean they are unwanted by everyone, but they often are by most – the purpose is to infuence those for who they may want or be influenced by the information, without worrying too much about those who are not.

It’s a fine line between ethical marketing and obnoxious interuptions, but if you spend you life worrying that someone won’t want that phone call, catalogue in their mail box, email newsletter or to see your advert in a magazine, you really won’t be doing much marketing, and success may be quite limited.

Matt

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Some time ago, I worked in a sales oriented business.

When we came back from a client meeting or being out of the office, my boss always made 3 calls with some info, updates and recent events, industry gossip etc.

I went to my desk to read and send emails – similar topics (but more functional probably).

His behaviours contributed to his sales success and mine to my sales non-success.

That was an ah-ha insight for me when I realised that. But I still have to fight my natural preference to avoid the phone call for fear of bothering someone. For me once I find something useful to share, it’s much easier.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.