Home – New Forums Get productive Do you have a standing desk? Can you share a photo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up
    ::

I’ve read a lot about the benefits of standing desks, but not this one… Apparently, this accounting firm has seen a huge reduction in sick days, simply by adding standing desks for their staff. Made me wonder how many of our community are using these desks to work – even part of the day? A friend made her own at an office recently; she stacked a pile of magazines and books under her monitor so it was high enough and plugged away. It doesn’t look fancy, but it works!

What are your thoughts on standing desks? And if you use one, it’d be great if you could upload a photo below! :)

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

I had one at my old workplace and loved it – had an electric motor, so was easy to adjust, and I’d generally use it standing position for most of the morning, then pop it down for a couple of hours, then up again towards the end of the day.
    We had good underlay & carpet – if you have a harder floor you need to get a mat for standing on.

If I was in the office by myself I’d pump the music and have a little dance!

I have a cheapy version from officeworks at home that sits on top of the existing desk, but it’s a little cumbersome to adjust, and our floor is too hard to stand for a long time, so I don’t use it as much as I probably should.

Elissa

Lucy Kippist
    Up

Nothing like a mid work dance break Elissa! Thanks for sharing :)

letsgetdowntobusiness
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

I think standing desks are great, but it’s very important to also stand correctly while using it! Otherwise you’re still having a bad posture and not really helping you body… even just a brisk walk and frequent breaks will be enough I’d say to help your body.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

I love standing desks, I DISLIKE the desk based Veridesk type monitor elevations units.

I like the whole desk to rise. I just bought one for my new home office, it’s still in the box at hubby workshop :rolleyes::rolleyes:, but when I get it assembled I will take a photo.

I tested the standing desks at Officeworks in store:

1 – they were too low for me (I am a tall bugger 6 foot 1 without shoes) and;
    2 – it broke while I was trying to lower it LOL, mmmmm

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 252619, member: 60404 wrote:
    I love standing desks, I DISLIKE the desk based Veridesk type monitor elevations units.

I like the whole desk to rise. I just bought one for my new home office, it’s still in the box at hubby workshop :rolleyes::rolleyes:, but when I get it assembled I will take a photo.

I tested the standing desks at Officeworks in store:

1 – they were too low for me (I am a tall bugger 6 foot 1 without shoes) and;
    2 – it broke while I was trying to lower it LOL, mmmmm

Cheers

Yes – I’d forgotten about the height problem. I’m 5 foot 6, but my previous boss was 6′ and had to raise his monitor on the Veridesk because it wasn’t quite high enough for his eyeline (and treat the mechanism for raising/lowering very carefully!).

BruceR
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

I’ve got a homemade job too (using books) that works for me and didn’t cost a cent! Sometimes I stand, sometimes not :). I was lucky to have two desk tops of different sizes (from Ikea) and will get short legs so I can have my books back!
    [ATTACH=full]1516[/ATTACH]

Lucy Kippist
    Up

Thanks for the photo Bruce, looks like you’ve got a great set-up there.

I am Research
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Used to have it. No longer though. The good was that my productivity on mundane repetitive tasks skyrocketed while working standing. But after a couple of hours, fatigue made it harder to concentrate on tasks requiring more focus and judgement. So, had to give it up.

Mischelle
    Up

Hi [USER=101914]@I am Research[/USER]

I sit for the first part of the morning, then I stand for about an hour, then sit, then get up and move at lunch – rinse and repeat.

So I am seriously up and down all day now, whereas before I was just sitting all day.

When I stand I make sure I am wearing my good shoes or on a gel mat, I prefer to simply change my shoes which I keep under the desk and then I just roll my chair under the desk, so I don’t have to keep moving the mat (which was a pain in butt) :)

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

I’ve tried stand up desks a couple of times (admittedly for only a short time) but somehow find it hard to concentrate like [USER=101914]@I am Research[/USER] mentioned. I guess it’s just a matter of getting used to it over a period of time.

Great set up [USER=742]@BruceR[/USER] – maybe I need something serious like that!!

I am Research
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 253804, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi [USER=101914]@I am Research[/USER]

I sit for the first part of the morning, then I stand for about an hour, then sit, then get up and move at lunch – rinse and repeat.

Hi Mischelle,
    Great idea to alternate sitting and standing! I think because I was/am often out and about on meetings and what not, I simply crave being able to sit :). So, more like finding excuses for my sedentary way when I am in front of the comp.

Need to try alternating it though as you do.

Mischelle
    Up

Yeah, I don’t stand for longer than an hour, I just pop the desk up and down.

My whole desk goes up and down, I do not like the on desk lifters as I like to spread out when I work, so having the whole desk lift means it doesn’t change my work space too much, which helps with concentration.

I am Research
    Up
    Peter – FS Administrator, post: 253807, member: 1 wrote:
    I guess it’s just a matter of getting used to it over a period of time.

I thought I’d get used to it after a few weeks but four months later when I abandoned the standing desk idea, I was feeling ecstatic about being able to go back to sitting. Laziness I guess.

The pain under the feet you typically get at the beginning stopped bothering me within a fortnight of using the standing desk though.

Mischelle
    Up

WOW, I have never had pain in my feet, but I do wear my sport shoes LOLOLOL, I look like an 80’s office worker on her commute, but it’s comfortable :)

We have to work with what suits our bodies, and obviously a stand up desk is not for you.

You said, you are up and about in meetings anyway so you get to move a lot, for me, most of my day is spent in front of the monitor, so I needed some relief.

Have a great Christmas and a fantastic New Year.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.