Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do you have your own private-label?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dangaff
    • Total posts: 244
    Up
    ::

Just out curiosity, do we have any online store (or business owners) that have developed their own private-label to sell within their shop/online?

What sort of product is it?
    Did you find it hard to source a supplier?
    Is it a profitable option and is it hard to compete with the branded, more well-known options?

I’m interested in the discussion.

Thanks,

dangaff
    Up

Anyyyyyone?

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Hi Mr Value Investor

Sorry you’ve not had a response to your question. Like others – I expect – I’ve popped over to your website to get a better idea of what you’re about and your background…but clearly that business is involved in other activities.

It may be a good idea to follow some of the existing discussions regarding online selling and get involved in some of those. We sometimes find – as you are finding – that open-ended questions don’t get a great deal of traction.

We look forward to learning more about you and your business.

Robert and the FS Crew

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy Dang,

Personally a comment like this has my ears pick up more with what is motivating the question as opposed to the actual answers.. sort of like “how did you find… question mark question mark” then all of a sudden a business model becomes released to match those answers..

Awaiting more input :)

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    dangaff
    Up

Thanks for the reply guys.

Robert Gerrish, post: 192355 wrote:
    Hi Mr Value Investor

Sorry you’ve not had a response to your question. Like others – I expect – I’ve popped over to your website to get a better idea of what you’re about and your background…but clearly that business is involved in other activities.

It may be a good idea to follow some of the existing discussions regarding online selling and get involved in some of those. We sometimes find – as you are finding – that open-ended questions don’t get a great deal of traction.

We look forward to learning more about you and your business.

Robert and the FS Crew

Yes you’d be correct in thinking that. The investing website is more for my own enjoyment and anyone who cares to read. Perhaps it’ll become something, perhaps not. I don’t foresee monetizing it unless I was to go and actually start pushing it further.

My other and main activities are in outdoor related gear, sold online. Which is why the original question comes about. As in my area, its largely untouched/non-existent.

SimplyReplica, post: 192361 wrote:
    Howdy Dang,

Personally a comment like this has my ears pick up more with what is motivating the question as opposed to the actual answers.. sort of like “how did you find… question mark question mark” then all of a sudden a business model becomes released to match those answers..

Awaiting more input :)

Jason

I doubt anyone here is selling shooting and outdoors related products, so I don’t plan on taking anyone’s “ideas”. Just insight into if it worked for them, if its been undertaken in their industries etc.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Many thanks for responding and for clarifying further. I’ll keep an eye on this thread and don’t doubt some of our online selling members will pop in soon.

Robert

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    dangaff, post: 192363 wrote:
    I doubt anyone here is selling shooting and outdoors related products, so I don’t plan on taking anyone’s “ideas”. Just insight into if it worked for them, if its been undertaken in their industries etc.

Howdy Dang

Soz mate, wasnt inferring theft of ideas was more the generic post.. sorry i dont have anything to add, although i do look forward to the conversation here..

Are you looking at creating a said label that encompasses products easily available elsewhere under it? or creating a product (intellectual property as such) and trading under that products name?

Cheers
    Jason

ps.. would love to talk to you about shooting and such.. not hunting, but gun laws and how does one legally go about owning or operating said firearms now that we are so so so stringent.. later though :)

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    dangaff
    Up

No worries mate.

I’m mainly interested to see whethee SME’s bother to dip their toes in it. Of course major companies do but I wonder if it’s beneficial for smaller outlets.

You’d sell it alongside major brands of course, if your distributor allows you to that is. I suppose big players make the rules, we aren’t in the same position.

I’d probably look to get unbranded, pretty basic stuff at first and simply just whack a logo or packaging on it if I was to go down the path. Perhaps one product at a time.

I don’t know if I would have the time or effort to develop it as a brand though which potentially mean it has no credibility and therefore little to no sales.

Perhaps running the products as a proper brand, website etc would be best then selling them to my online store..

Always open for a chat regarding the laws etc. It is very stringent in Australia, we also probably have 1/10th the amount of nutcases as other countries it seems though.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi dangaff,

In a previous life I developed a private label.
    It was easy to find suppliers as in a life before that one I worked in procurement and logistics.
    Yes it can be very profitable, however you need to find the right inventory.
    A few things that came together which made it difficult to compete – not in any particular order.
    1. The aussie dollar got strong against the usd.
    2. Chinese sellers began shipping in smaller lots.
    3. many many importers were born
    4. shopping carts became very easy to setup.

Steve

dangaff, post: 192100 wrote:
    Just out curiosity, do we have any online store (or business owners) that have developed their own private-label to sell within their shop/online?

What sort of product is it?
    Did you find it hard to source a supplier?
    Is it a profitable option and is it hard to compete with the branded, more well-known options?

I’m interested in the discussion.

Thanks,

RifRaf
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Agree with Steve here:

Divert To Mobile, post: 192528 wrote:
    Hi dangaff,

In a previous life I developed a private label.
    It was easy to find suppliers as in a life before that one I worked in procurement and logistics.
    Yes it can be very profitable, however you need to find the right inventory.
    A few things that came together which made it difficult to compete – not in any particular order.
    1. The aussie dollar got strong against the usd.
    2. Chinese sellers began shipping in smaller lots.
    3. many many importers were born
    4. shopping carts became very easy to setup.

Steve

Procuring a manufacturer isn’t too hard these days with marketplaces such as Alibaba.com, but it is definitely buyer beware and you have to do your due diligence and stringent product sampling with a prospective supplier. There are plenty of shonky ones out there.
    If you can get a quality product made for the right price, in a quantity you can move, from a manufacturer with good communication and practices, then private label gear can be a good option. Just make sure you’re not entering a saturated market hoping to compete on price alone.

dangaff
    Up
    RifRaf, post: 192535 wrote:
    Procuring a manufacturer isn’t too hard these days with marketplaces such as Alibaba.com, but it is definitely buyer beware and you have to do your due diligence and stringent product sampling with a prospective supplier. There are plenty of shonky ones out there.
    If you can get a quality product made for the right price, in a quantity you can move, from a manufacturer with good communication and practices, then private label gear can be a good option. Just make sure you’re not entering a saturated market hoping to compete on price alone.
    Yeah exactly, really want to hope the samples aren’t just a decent run/looking product and then the actual order comes along with junk.

The part I put in bold is definitely something I need to remember. Perhaps it can apply with certain products, but majority not so much.

I’ll potentially take a look into it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.