Home – New Forums Get productive Do you read business related books to get ahead in your business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    SamanthaE
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

So after my last thread (which you can find here), I have had an idea that just won’t go away.

At the moment, it is not so much a business idea as wanting to build a community of like minded people.

I love to read and learn new biz ideas from books. There is such a wealth of information to be discovered. So I have launched a Facebook page in the last couple of days to connect with other like minded soloists, small biz owners and entrepreneurs.

Does anyone else here love to learn through reading biz books? Has it actively helped you in growing your biz or overcoming hurdles?

Samantha

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

I used to, but now I read them out of sheer interest, or rough interest.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Samantha,

We have lots of booklovers around here. You might like to add some of your favourites to this long running thread, and to check out recommendations from others at the same time: The best small business bookshelf

Happy reading :)
    Jayne

Barb
    • Total posts: 144
    Up
    SamanthaE, post: 165272 wrote:
    Hi All,

So after my last thread (which you can find here), I have had an idea that just won’t go away.

At the moment, it is not so much a business idea as wanting to build a community of like minded people.

I love to read and learn new biz ideas from books. There is such a wealth of information to be discovered. So I have launched a Facebook page in the last couple of days to connect with other like minded soloists, small biz owners and entrepreneurs.

Does anyone else here love to learn through reading biz books? Has it actively helped you in growing your biz or overcoming hurdles?

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

Yes, I love reading business books. They encourage and inspire me in business and life in general. I’m reading a marketing book at the moment and have a couple more on order about networking and goal setting.

I can’t get enough – I just wish there was more time in my day and week to read more.

I’ve just “liked” your facebook page to share more on this subject.

Regards,
    Barb

SamanthaE
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 165330 wrote:
    I used to, but now I read them out of sheer interest, or rough interest.

Hi Suz,

The love of learning never really leave’s one does it.

Look forward to hearing what you have learnt.

Thanks,
    Samantha

SamanthaE
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 165359 wrote:
    Hi Samantha,

We have lots of booklovers around here. You might like to add some of your favourites to this long running thread, and to check out recommendations from others at the same time: The best small business bookshelf

Happy reading :)
    Jayne

Thanks Jayne.

It’s been a while since I have read through that thread. Might go and see what I should read next.

I will see if some of my favourite’s are missing from the list and add them.

Hope to connect with the many booklovers around the traps to get other perspectives on what they have learnt.

Thanks,
    Samantha

SamanthaE
    Up
    Barb, post: 165364 wrote:
    Hi Samantha,

Yes, I love reading business books. They encourage and inspire me in business and life in general. I’m reading a marketing book at the moment and have a couple more on order about networking and goal setting.

I can’t get enough – I just wish there was more time in my day and week to read more.

I’ve just “liked” your facebook page to share more on this subject.

Regards,
    Barb

Hi Barb,

Thanks for joining in.

It is great to see that others value the lessons that biz books can teach us. Can’t wait to hear more about what else you have learnt.

Thanks,
    Samantha

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Reading business related books is still fascinating and the last one I read “Become a Key Person of Influence, by Daniel Priestly has actually captured my interest.

After reading it I have sat down at the computer and started to write a book.
    It will probably be only three pages long, but at least I going to give it a go.
    I have thought about this before but Daniel is a very interesting person and has a way in explaining things. So Im going to write about my last 53 years in business.

“shewhomustbe” has already said “boring”

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up
    Burgo, post: 165400 wrote:
    Reading business related books is still fascinating and the last one I read “Become a Key Person of Influence, by Daniel Priestly has actually captured my interest.”

Great to hear Burgo!

This book is actually free for Flying Solo’s premium members. If you’re signed up already be sure to claim your copy – details on how are in the benefits tab in ‘my account’.

Not yet a member? Find out more.

Sam

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

You know, Burgo, I wouldn’t mind reading your book. I’d be happy to proof it for you if you get to the stage of wanting to publish.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 165491 wrote:
    You know, Burgo, I wouldn’t mind reading your book. I’d be happy to proof it for you if you get to the stage of wanting to publish.

Thank Suzs It may be a while as I have to find the time to write it.
    I have almost got the road map finished and from there I will build.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    Up

Yes, writing can take time. Good luck with it!

Joe @ Clik Clik
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    SamanthaE, post: 165272 wrote:
    Hi All,

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

I used to read a lot of books, I would be constantly glued to them. I find these days thought that it is rare I will finish one because it is hard to get one that is really unique. One of my favourite books that I did finish recently was “Enter the Dragon – Theo Pahitis”. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea but I love how Theo is self-made and just like the honesty about the ups and downs of being in business that he shares.

I have started watching quite a lot of interviews on mixergy.com, which I have found really good and some other podcasts. I have found these more helpful these days because they are other business people that have usually done/built something that you are trying to do.

Cheers,
    Joe

RymeraWebCo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hey Samantha,

Business books.. can’t get enough.

But I usually have a few pre-qualifiers these days because there’s sooo much out there (and there’s also a lot of rubbish too!). I’m usually looking for actionable info and advice and I usually find them in books written by other founders, especially those in the IT space since that’s my niche.

Here’s a few titles I’ve read recently that sparked my thought juice:

The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
    Running Lean by Ash Maurya
    The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
    Founders at Work: Stories of Startups’ Early Days by Jessica Livingston
    Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time by Howard Schultz

RymeraWebCo
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Oh and I forgot to mention.. totally mirror Joe in that Mixergy.com is a fantastic place to hear from other founders who have made it.

I also suggest looking for marketing/startup podcasts if you’re into listening while you work. You can pickup some great tips from time to time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.