Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Do you say thank you for payment?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    ::

Hi all.
    I tend to have ‘one off’ clients, but recently i have been thinking about how to develop my relationship with my clients after a project is complete.

I have typically not really acknowledged when my invoices are paid. I think this is generally because i have done the work and feel i should be paid. But i was wondering if maybe there is some benefit in saying thank you in some form once i have had an invoice paid. So to questions:

Do you thank a client for payment? Why/why not?

If you do, how?

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 183415 wrote:
    Hi all.
    I tend to have ‘one off’ clients, but recently i have been thinking about how to develop my relationship with my clients after a project is complete.

I have typically not really acknowledged when my invoices are paid. I think this is generally because i have done the work and feel i should be paid. But i was wondering if maybe there is some benefit in saying thank you in some form once i have had an invoice paid. So to questions:

If you do, how?

Whenever we delight our clients (do something they weren’t expecting) it puts us front of mind, and also rounds off their experience with them. In fact, did you know that even if they had a bad experience most of the way through, the way you end it can make all the difference in changing their opinion.

Of course you should be paid for what you do. We all should. However, there is nothing wrong with showing appreciation. Not for a paid invoice, but appreciation for choosing you over all the other architects out there.

I don’t thank them for payment, I thank them for working with me.

I think of a way to delight them.

Most recently, two clients got $99 facials at a local salon, another got a dinner voucher at a Gold Plate restaurant. Sometimes I might send them a book I think they might like. It doesn’t have to be big, but it should come as a ‘delight’ – surprise.

Jenny

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    I have typically not really acknowledged when my invoices are paid.

When I’m paid, I usually acknowledge it with an email just to let them know that the payment was successful.
    I use that email as an excuse to say thank you for the work and touch base to see if they have any problems.

nighttax
    • Total posts: 172
    Up

When someone does something nice for you it is old fashioned courtesy to say thank you. A client paying their bill instead of not paying it is something nice.

Modern times it is smart to say thank you and along with the thank you ask for a referral to someone they know who may be interested in your services. Amazing how many new leads that will generate for you.

2 good reasons for saying thank you, don’t you think?

Regards
    Evan

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    Hi all.

If you do, how?

Hi Osmond,

Definitely, ‘Thank you’ for the payment and ‘Thank you’ for the work.
    For me it’s usually been in person or at the very least a phone call.
    And I would generally add something like: “And remember if there’s any questions or anything else to do with the work then I’m only a phone call away.”

All best,

Lindsay

Osmond Mcleod
    Up

TO clarify, i always thank my clients for the work and make it clear i appreciate them choosing me for their project. But i was more specifically talking about the payment of the invoice.

Thanks for the comments.

Lindz, post: 183447 wrote:
    Hi Osmond,

Definitely, ‘Thank you’ for the payment and ‘Thank you’ for the work.
    For me it’s usually been in person or at the very least a phone call.
    And I would generally add something like: “And remember, if there’s any questions or anything else to do with the work, then I’m only a phone call away.”

All best,

Lindsay

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

There’s this think they call – ‘referral’.

It most comes from doing something that makes one stand out and be remembered.

Not just great work but the ‘After Sales’ memorable stuff… like saying “Thank you”

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi OS

Must say i read this post a few days ago and it has had me considering what i do, how i do and what i should do moving forward.. So, thanks for pondering about your own situation and sharing your thought here!

Must say, upon reflection i tend to thank all my retail clients for their payment and on the same email actually take it further and thank them for the opportunity to assist them. I know it is a light – no teeth acknowledgement although it is their in black and white… Funny thing is, i would say 1 in 5 of these are replied to with a client thanking us for their assistance the whole way through the purchase… its quite rewarding, although not the intent of my thanking them.

After revisiting it, i now realised i could possibly revisit this to try and turn the thanks into referrals, although i am one that tends to prefer subtlety and never wanting to be pushy.. i know this goes against the grain of being in business, but it is my sales approach as well.. casual and comfortable, consultative and closing, fresh and familiar always with the clients needs in mind…

So, again, thanks Os.. although i have not really contributed to your post i just wanted to offer my thanks as you have assisted me a little :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Osmond Mcleod
    Up

Thanks SimpleReplica. I am glad you took something from the question.

I think to many people here it may have seemed like a stupid question. I was thinking about it more today and while i don’t mind discussing my earnings and money, i was raised to think you do not ask about what people earn or talk about money. I wonder if maybe its a spin off from that.

For me, i always focused on other measures to gain referrals, and, in my industry anyway, i have never been thanked for paying invoices, even when they were getting substantial. For me its always been about making sure my clients are happy and i have satisfied their needs. I always kept money matters in the background to this.

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I don’t think of it being stupid question, just that it is something that most people ‘forget’ about after sales opportunities. Me included.

An industry that never says “thank you”. Yep been in one of therm too. lol

For me, saying “thank you” isn’t just about the money side of things … it’s showing respect for their trust in me.

Johny
    • Total posts: 840
    Up

Hi Osmond,

I don’t think its a stupid question at all. I think it is a question from someone who is not sure how to approach it. That’s fair enough, if you don’t ask you don’t know.

I am in the Jenny Spring camp. I don’t thank people for paying me, I thank them for working with me.

I also like to think that, just as I am grateful they work with me, they see some benefit that I provide to them, as well.

A good example, I did a deal for a guy and the goods were damaged in transit. I had to arrange insurance to cover the loss. Next thing I know the customer sent me a cheque for 15% of the total transaction for what he felt was my inconvenience for having to make the insurance claim.

Needless to say our working relationship is great and it has grown outside what it was originally.

I always think that we miss so many opportunities because of the perceptions we have in our heads. As far as I’m concerned, every interaction you do in business should be about generating new opportunities either with existing or new customers.

That doesn’t have to be blatant, and could be anything from having a general chat to discussing future prospects.

I also think that the end of any transaction, the two most important things you can do are-

a) get feedback (and I always stipulate I want good and bad comments) to see what the client thought of your work and

b) ask for referral business. If you feel you have done a good job and the client thinks you have done a good job, why wouldn’t they be prepared to refer you. Word of mouth is the best free advertising you can get so why not push it along a little.

And because they may not know someone who needs your services today, send them a message in 6 months to see how your work has held up….and then ask again for a referral.

Or think about it like this, when you are at a party and someone says they need to get the car fixed, how good do you feel, if you had a good job done by a mechanic, to be able to refer that mechanic knowing it will save them the hassle of hunting one down themselves.

So, why should others be any different.

Asking for referrals doesn’t have to be specifically related to receiving your payment.

My thoughts anyway.

Natalie Khoo
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi there, I definitely thank all my clients once they’ve paid but this is just via email and actually an automated email that goes out upon us receiving the money.

A phone call several weeks afterwards to see how things have panned out for them is always beneficial. And if you’re too busy to keep track/in contact with all your customers, keep their details on file and be sure to send them a Christmas gift so that they’ll think of you in the new year (or when Christmas shopping, depending what product/service) you offer.

Cheers, Natalie

RoseStevenson
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Everytime, I think it’s important for your customer to leave on a positive note.

So saying something like ‘Thank you very much, we look forward to seeing you next time’

Or something a bit more personalised to what they purchased ie a chair.

‘Thank you very much. I hope the chair works out well for you, and let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.’

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I like to acknowledge their promptness (most cases) and thank them again for working with me. It’s always nice to feel as if a business relationship is a two-way thing – obviously they hired you, but when there is respect from both sides it leaves you with a good feeling afterwards.

AngusP
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

Hi Osmond

the answer to your question in my mind is could you do with more business?

If so, then I would think once they’ve paid is a perfect time to go back to them with a thanks and some kind of offer.

“we hope you were satisfied with our recent work for you. If there is anything further we can do for you, please get in touch. If you were satisfied, we’d love it you’d tell anyone who might need our services about your experience. In appreciation for doing so, any new business we get from your referral, we’ll provide you with a gift card/donation to a charity etc”

That’s off the cuff, but you get the idea.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Angus Pryor
    http://www.galwijihomestead.com
    http://www.mysteryshoppingguide.com.au

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.