Home – New Forums Selling online Do you use your name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

Its been discussed in a round about way on here before, as does it get discussed in most Flying Solo meetups i have had the benefit of attending… Some may discuss it around if a Flying Soloist uses the word WE when discussing their business or the term ME (i)??

Just wanted to explore this a little further and ask, do you use your name and create a personal approach to your business and a little old fashioned courtesy (like when you used to meet people in person and say “hi my name is…”)??

Understanding its a little left field once more from moi, i am curious on ones stance or use of their personal name on web sites.. Of late when i am on peoples web sites and go to the About Us page, all i ever seem to read is a large spiel about the business and their want to exceed my expectations.. Funny, if i go to an About Me page i almost expect something similar to a mini resume like “we are a family business, started by Joe and John and now run by the kids Peter and Paul.. Having been in the industry for xx years we would love to assist you with your project”..

Am i expecting the unexpected? Literally just finished visiting some random FS signature links and only came across a few that used there names or had them buried relatively close to the surface (i am on this latter section, but i have a long list of reasons why)…

Example, if i was engaging a small local builder i know i would feel more comfortable knowing someones name who ran the business.. Especially when the only contact number on the web site was a mobile phone number..

Looking forward to your thoughts on this…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I always attach my name, and a very bad photo on any “about” page … no point bullish*ting … there’s me and a one eyed dog (who manages the catering and outside exercise), no one else.

I always go to the “about” pages, all the best ones have “team” photos and bios.

If they don’t, I assume they’re trying to be bigger than they really are, or a bit too politically correct for my tastes … and I go look elsewhere.

If the about page is just a rerun of the services page, or some complete toss “mission” statement, I leave even faster.

Cheers

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Small and solo business should not try and make themselves look like big businesses. Their smallness is their strength not their weakness.

A small business has expertise and passion, that is why the business gets started. A large business may have a core of expertise and passion but the bigger it gets the more diluted the expertise and passion gets. This is what you need to be proud of and sell to your clients.

In many cases your customer is choosing you not your particular product/service which could be available elsewhere, so be authentic.

I don’t just put myself on the about us page I’ve got the whole family there.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Jason,
    Such a good question this, and one that lots of businesses ponder – especially starting out where the temptation is to sometime try and ‘sound’ bigger.
    I tend to think ‘I’ rather than ‘we’ for soloists in general.
    It’s from a few years back but Flying Solo contributor Yara Starak and blogger extraordinaire wrote a good summary of this topic Solo business brand positioning – it’s “I” not “we”.
    I’ve also noticed that a lot of ‘about’ pages are often very generic about the business rather than real people, which can be offputting.

An interesting topic that tends to bring up differing opinions!

Cheers
    Peter

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

I didn’t at first – I wanted to create a brand. But I regret that decision. Many business owners want to deal with ME – not Incredible Co.

ckgdesign
    Participant
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    IncredibleCo, post: 196924 wrote:
    I didn’t at first – I wanted to create a brand. But I regret that decision. Many business owners want to deal with ME – not Incredible Co.

True. I think you can still brand yourself under a company name, but still give a very personal touch via how you present yourself on your website, via email, conversation, etc.

If you don’t hide behind the fact you’re a one-man band, then I don’t see a problem with it. Dealing with sole-traders and small companies is great, because I think it’s easier to feel a connection even if it is purely based on knowing what is required to have a small business.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

YES.

I think it’s very important. I want to know who I am potentially going to do business with.

Which is why I use my real name here as well.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 196995 wrote:
    Which is why I use my real name here as well.

Don’t rub that in.. i cant use my name :( again long long long story.. which you may already be privy to ;)

Its funny, i have never actually registered in a forum with my real name.. not sure what, paranoia i think.. LOL

Hey, without hijacking my own thread, how did you business workshop presentation go last week (or was it the week before)?

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

For some unknown reason I have always used we

I think it is a throwback from working as 2IC in a large organisation.
    When I started solo I didn’t even think about me instead of we, probably I me and myself ran the solo business so as I me and myself was referred to as we.
    As the business grew and subbies came on board then we was correct.

So howmany hats do you wear, if you only wear one then it is me if its more than one then it is we

Now I hope that is as clear as MUD, because I me and myself are quite confussed

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Burgo, post: 197017 wrote:
    Now I hope that is as clear as MUD, because I me and myself are quite confussed

Please update us once you have chatted amongst yourselves for a bit :)

Jason (we, us or i)

John Templeton
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

I’ve always used “we” but that’s probably because it’s the wife and I in the business. Our about us page has photos of us and the mini-resumes too. Just a bit old fashioned I guess, but prefer to let potentials know they’re dealing with real people not some faceless multinational.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Taking your comments I has just had a long discussion with me and myself and it appears “I am, you are, were all Australian”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.