Home – New Forums Other discussions Do you want fries with that?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Paul B.
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

I want to share a retail experience I had recently:

I had a very ambitious sales person try and upsell to me the other day – I was a little surprised.

I walked in to a book shop to buy ’50 Shades of Grey’ for my girlfriend. I got to the counter to pay and the first thing that came out of the salesperson’s mouth was ‘Do you only want to buy the first volume? This is part of a trilogy and we have all three. Do you want to buy the other two?’

Now upselling is understandable if the increase in price is marginal – but to go from a $15 book to a $45 trilogy is a little excessive!

Do you think the salesperson was unreasonable? Have you ever been upsold something that took you by surprise?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Personally I think that was quite a good bit of upselling. He knew the related products and knew you would probably be interested in them at some point. Also, you now know that they have them in stock even if you didn’t but them immediately.

The upselling I really hate is the “extended warranty”, 9 times out of ten I decline and then the salesperson still tries to convince me to take it. I already said no, now stop trying to sell it to me.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

would you have been interested if the complete set was discounted 15% ?

Steve

Paul B.
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 123615 wrote:
    Personally I think that was quite a good bit of upselling. He knew the related products and knew you would probably be interested in them at some point. Also, you now know that they have them in stock even if you didn’t but them immediately.

Not good enough – he made me feel like ‘just another customer with a pocket full of cash’. I think good upselling disguising the fact that they are upselling in the first place![/

Divert To Mobile, post: 123619 wrote:
    would you have been interested if the complete set was discounted 15% ?

Steve

I still would have declined but atleast in this instance there is a monetary incentive. If a 15% discount was offered I probably wouldn’t have given it a second though and raise it on this discussion. But the fact that there was no apparent gain from buying the extra product then and there just left me a little puzzled and sour.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up
    Paul B., post: 123623 wrote:
    Not good enough – he made me feel like ‘just another customer with a pocket full of cash’. I think good upselling disguising the fact that they are upselling in the first place![/

I still would have declined but atleast in this instance there is a monetary incentive. If a 15% discount was offered I probably wouldn’t have given it a second though and raise it on this discussion. But the fact that there was no apparent gain from buying the extra product then and there just left me a little puzzled and sour.

He would have been better off saying something like:

“Did you know this is Book 1 of a 3 Book series? If she likes this one you might have to come back and buy her the next 2 volumes…” in a fun tone. If someone said this to me and the price offer was right, I might even buy all 3 then and there – give them to my partner 1 by 1.

Sales is definitely not for me – that is for sure!

Paul B.
    Up
    spinninghill, post: 123624 wrote:
    He would have been better off saying something like:

“Did you know this is Book 1 of a 3 Book series? If she likes this one you might have to come back and buy her the next 2 volumes…” in a fun tone. If someone said this to me and the price offer was right, I might even buy all 3 then and there – give them to my partner 1 by 1.

Sales is definitely not for me – that is for sure!

Thats my point! Your example gives me incentive i.e. If she ends up liking it you will probably have to come alllll the way back to get the next one (or two).

Because there was no apparent incentive, its was blatently an attempt to upsell and it turned me off.

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

I guess it’s all a matter of perception

50 shades is all the rage at the moment based on how much media it’s getting and perhaps the salesperson’s motivation (apart from another sale, which is quite reasonable) was to make you aware that they have more in the series – some might even call this service in that they have identified what your (ok your girlfriend’s) interest was and are trying to extend this. Surely once the first volume has been read then next two would follow and they are offering the convenience of taking them with you?

My perception of upsell in this context would be offering book markers or other items not associated with this book.

Paul B.
    Up
    yourvirtualboard, post: 123628 wrote:
    Surely once the first volume has been read then next two would follow and they are offering the convenience of taking them with you?

My perception of upsell in this context would be offering book markers or other items not associated with this book.

I want to disagree with you but I can’t!

Maybe I am being pedantic. I guess my reaction was a mixture of:

1. Not finding it ‘inconvenient’ to come back to the shops. More than likely I would be back before my girlfriend finished the book anyway.

2. The salesperson assuming that my girlfriend would like the book in the first place. She may not like it and then im stuck with 3 volumes of paper!

3. The sales person assuming I would be willing to outlay 3 times the said amount.

Im digging a hole here but that was really how I felt.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I get annoyed at stores where they force their employees to say something with every sale – “do you want fries with that”; “do you have a frequent flyer card”; “do you collect the stamps”; “do you want to buy two chocolates for the price of 4” – It’s tiresome! And mostly, the employees just rattle it off without any thought, often don’t know anything about the product or service they’re asking you to buy, and it makes it difficult to have a real conversation with them because you feel like you would be interrupting their well-rehearsed spiel.

If a salesperson actually knew something about the product I was buying, like the one in your example obviously did, and recommended something that was personally targeted at me because of my purchase, then I’d be delighted! I wouldn’t necessarily take them up on their suggestion, but I’d appreciate them trying to enlighten me (even if it was partly for their benefit).

Obviously I wasn’t there to hear the way it was said, or the context in which it was said, but I don’t think the fact that they suggested a related product is a bad thing.

cheers,
    John

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

I want to disagree with you but I can’t!

Of course you can and you’re not digging any hole at all. As I said, just a matter of perception and your comment of your girlfriend not liking the book was something I hadn’t considered. That plus you seem reluctant to outlay $45 for her ;) :D

Have a good weekend.

Paul B.
    Up
    yourvirtualboard, post: 123654 wrote:
    That plus you seem reluctant to outlay $45 for her ;) :D

hahahaha :p

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

I’m surprised to see a book so greatly talked about in the media can be purchased new for only $15.

Anyway, I think that’s a good upsell example. And no one is ever obliged to say yes…

I have been upsold a moisturising spray for my hair when I was at the hairdresser a couple of month ago after getting a hair cut.
    But I only bought it because they have a shelf with beauty products and I was kind of promoting my own products.
    Now I’m hoping that she’ll remember me buying the spray when I contact her about my products.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

To me, the salesperson just sounded efficient.

I wonder if your problem had more to do with the tone/style it was asked in rather than the information they were sharing with you?

sparker10
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I think its perfectly reasonable…at the end of the day you have the choice whether to buy the trilogy or not – hes not making you buy the other two. There might be one person out there who might not have know anything about the trilogy and was grateful that the guy asked.

Corset Kylie
    • Total posts: 28
    Up

I think the biggest concern is that your buying that terrible peice of literature.

but on topic, I have to agree that it was close to an upsell, but he shouldnt have asked if you wanted to buy, it should have been left at, “if you like this, we have the next two volumns in the trilogy here in store.”
    This way, at the end of the book, if you feel like reading more, you wouldnt have a second thought you would get the next volumn from the same shop as you already know it’s there waiting for you.

K

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.