Home – New Forums Get productive Do you work on holidays?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up
    ::

Heading away in 3 weeks and starting the preparations of how to handle business whilst I’m away. Curious as to what everyone else does when they have a holiday? Do you have a true holiday and leave everything behind or are you like me but still work?:eek:

I always take the laptop and check and respond to urgent emails/alterations if time permits whilst I’m away.. Some things need to be put on extended turnaround times, and I always set up an email responder explaining there will likely be a delayed response from me. Clients are given a heads up well ahead of time so if things need to be done prior they can be.
    I find it has less impact to keep things flowing, albeit at a slower pace, while I’m away, rather than close up completely.

What does everyone else do?

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

I never work on holidays. And that’s a principle I stick to.

I’m going to be away for my honeymoon in June, and prepping for the wedding at the end of May so I too am out of the office for 3 weeks. I have an admin assistant handling new bookings, but that’s it.

When I didn’t have my admin assistant I have a booking system in place so that the client, if they are ready to book a package, can organize it themselves without waiting for me. This information is in the automated email that goes out to them.

Weekends and holidays are my time, and I earn them, so I take them. So long as my clients know what’s going on then it’s not a problem. I find these time valuable, and if you don’t set boundaries for yourself then you’ll never truly get time off.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

It’s not a holiday if you’re working, it’s just working from a different location.

If you’re running a business full time, you need to take at least 2 weeks out of your year where you don’t even think about work. You and your business will be all the better for it.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Interesting post, i had to head to dictionary.com to establish what you were talking about… and the definition was:

“noun
    1.a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person.
    2.any day of exemption from work (distinguished from working day ).
    3.a time or period of exemption from any requirement, duty, assessment, etc.: New businesses may be granted a one-year tax holiday.
    4.a religious feast day; holy day, especially any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism.
    5.Sometimes, holidays. Chiefly British . a period of cessation from work or one of recreation; vacation. “

And must say the definition still leaves me a little baffled :confused:

Although in all seriousness, being an FS (sort of) has created a little problem and combining that with technology we seem to be accessible 24×7 should we want to be.. In saying this, i tend to take breaks although i do make myself available for maybe a half hour or so during the day to check on messages (voicemail and email) to check and qualify the importance of them and then either rebound to someone ‘at work’ to resolve or attend to them myself if warranted…

I think it is all about ‘setting it up’ so that the business can still run autonomously in your absence from preparing your clients with the news you are away, that work will be re-commenced on x day and so forth.. Once the expectations are created and the clients are kept in the loop it isnt too hard to take that much deserved break…

Its just some of us like to make sure that the wheels are still spinning and that should the stars fall from the skies we are able to reposition the ground on which the fall before they fall…

Well, as a few would say i may have gotten off topic a tad although it is horses for courses and only you will know how your business will proceed with or without the phones being answered, so to say…

Enjoy your break though,,,, answer the phones if you need or turn them off… and go for a swim, stop at the pool bar for a bevvie or 6 and jump onto FS with some holiday snaps for us that are working to live vicariously through your posts :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Suzi,

Here are a couple of articles that might be of interest:

Do working holidays work?

Handling holidays when running your own business

Cheers,
    Jayne

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi PP,

I am very bad at taking a true holiday from our business, so I can relate to the question! I try to ensure that there is nothing urgent during my holiday/time away – and I’m a lot better at leaving the laptop behind during this time – but I can’t really say I’ve had much in the way of proper breaks of more than a day or three since we went into business.

Love your work, Jason! :D

Kathy

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it’s interesting to see how others handle it and I’m going to look further into virtual PA!

I think it really comes down to what you are comfortable with.
    I’ve been doing this for 8 years now, and have found that the compromise of perhaps answering a few urgent emails whilst away, in combination with the preparations beforehand, makes it easier for me to relax, rather than wondering about what might be going on when I get back.

I run two businesses, Pineapple Pear and also Alannah Rose which is wedding stationery. The corporate clients are always more than willing to wait and the brides are too, as long as they are advised in advance of what the deadlines and turnarounds will be.

Happy holidaying all. Hope you’ve all got one booked! :) :)

(Scarlett, a wedding, exciting times! I’m going to one next week, can’t wait, love a wedding! Enjoy your day.)

tomwhite
    • Total posts: 51
    Up

Good question and interesting discussion…

…if its a short break I like to take a full break and not work at all, however having a ‘virtual’ business allows us to take extended breaks that wouldnt be possible (or as easy) if we had a ‘job’.

I usually try to get things in place so I only have to deal with urgent issues / important emails and check-in as and when needed.

I’m actually going to be spending 5 weeks back in the UK very soon and so going through a similar process myself – I can highly recommend a virtual PA too!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Not sure a Holiday has to mean that you have to totally turn off any thoughts or activities with your business. Just because you are away you don’t suddenly not communicate or deal with your family, friends or other day to day activities of your life, so why do you have to not be involved in your business.

In my case I am truely flying solo, so if I did that there would be no phone call answering, no bookings, no communications with the clients. As I visit my clients sites for all work, yes I do not do any of the physical side of the job, but why shouldnt I chat to a client or even a prospective client, should I miss out on that next $10K contract because I am on “Holiday”, if all I have to do is answer the phone say yes I can do that, would you like a quote, and I am available to come and have a look on XYZ date.

I advise any of my clients due to be serviced during the tiem I am away, and arrange to either visit before or after my “holiday”, but I dont advise all the other clients. Now it is not unusual for me to get calls asking if I can do an extra visit from a client, or a reschedule, or whatever other option, at least I can talk to the client advise them when I am next available, and book in a visit.

Does that kill my holiday, no way a 1 minute phone call does not impact it, and it just lets me know where things will be at on my return.

A holiday doesnt have to be a total black zone for your business, its your business, its your lively hood,

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

I’m in the same situation.. Previously my web design business was easy to still handle a little from on a holiday.. Get most of the work done and just check emails quickly in the morning for any fires, or sit down with a glass of wine and write some content etc.

Now that I’m full steam ahead with a business that is currently posting 100 parcels a month and doubling every 3 months I’m not sure what I’m going to do come our 6 week christmas holiday we’ve got booked..

How do people in retail manage to do this!?!? I’m trying my hardest to hopefully get to the point where we move to a 3PL centre just before we go away but I’m really not confident we’ll see enough growth by then to make it cost effective.

Maclean

Rose78
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

I think it depends on your business…but I think in most instances there has to be a way where you can go away and not have to work – and I think that’s healthy. If you’re run down you wont be working at your best for the benefit of your business.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

Depends… I take a holiday from my day job cause… Well, that’s a job. I never take a holiday from my business stuff on the side, cause that’s what I love doing, so I wouldn’t want to take a holiday from that.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

Hello,

Yes I work on holidays.

I think most people that service customers Australia wide have too, thanks to the fact that public holidays in this country are so out of whack from state to state.

Any federal politician reading this and willing to look at unifying our holidays?

Tom ISW
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

No, I tend not to. However, the onus is on me to push out whatever my clients need ahead of schedule if need be. Gotta pay the piper somehow!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.