Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Does anyone make a living from serviceseeking.com.au? or similar?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

I signed up with service seeking about 2 years ago, was a waste of money for me, but at the time their unlimited plan was around $3000!

Sounds like their pricing structure is shrinking dramatically.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I’ve looked at ServiceSeeking. In fact, I did actually get a client from there. It was my one free bid, so I’m glad it worked.
    Pretty much every single other request that’s come through, as being IT related, is all to do with replacing screens on iphones, or tablets, or whatever.
    Pretty much nothing else relevant to what I actually do.

I guess what i’m saying there is.. if you’re in the game of repairing iphone screens and such.. then you’d probably get some work

but personally, no I don’t get any work from it. In fact – when I say that, I say it to the point of there’s been no point my even paying for more bids

Stuart B
    Up

Yeah I tried it for web design 2 years ago, the enquiries that came through relating to web design were totally useless. I quoted on a couple, but basically always got undercut so it was just pointless. And you can’t fully sell your product, and the differentiation in 1 paragraph, so a lot of people would just go for the lowest bit.

Plus a lot of the web requests themselves were ridiculous… They’d say things like :
    – I need a web site for my business
    – Need cheap website

I’m not going to waste my money trying to quote on a job with an 8 word brief…

Photoworx
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Unfortunately I cannot recommend it. While there are a lot of leads coming through, most are chasing price, and I mean gutter level pricing. As an exercise I put a couple of quotes through at my cost prices and still did not even get a reply or return phone call.
    This could have a lot to do with our industry and the amount of “weekend warriors” out there under quoting, however I cannot see the value of throwing more good money after bad.

I had a look at Service Central, but they don’t seem to have a category for Photographers, so if anyone knows of an alternative, I’d be happy to have a look at it.

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

Like ebay, you may find the clients shopping on these sites are looking for the lowest price. I tried competing on VALUE but almost every time, lost to someone cheaper REGARDLESS of the quality. And the fees can be ridiculous.

Sammy12
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi
    Sam here again. I would recommend people in the wedding industry to use Quotes4weddings (see my earlier post). The site is easy to use and the customer service very responsive, Above all, I have had good leads through the site, and use of the site is still free.

SAmedia
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

I’ve used serviceseeking a couple of times, but found that the most if the quotes were useless.

With that in mind, If a job came up in Adelaide, I would quote instantly and call up as soon as possible. That way I made an appointment on the same day and signed them up then and there.

But like most of the other posters, you just get undercut by foreign companies…

Stuart B
    Up

Yeah, I don’t think the people running those sites have any real interest in keeping it local, or helping Australian businesses. They just want people to keep buying credits and paying for quote submissions. So if they get a lot of overseas companies sending quotes they don’t care, because it all just means more $$ for them.

Mick-Markting-Man
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    web_gypsy, post: 41187 wrote:
    Hi, I have joined serviceseeking.com.au
    I find that there are lots of jobs on offer, but also lots competing for the jobs. They are mostly competing on price. I don’t see how I could win a job if I charge a decent rate per hour.
    I wouldn’t mind trying my luck if they didn’t charge every time you put a quote in or contacted the client.
    I imagine I could spend $100’s and lots of time casting my net with no return.
    I am a graphic and web designer.
    Has anyone had any luck with them? or know of a better place to look for freelance work?
    I have tried a couple of others in the past with no luck, but at least that was a one off membership fee with community and info.

I found nothing but price shoppers go there, and people were willing to put up with much lower quality products from our competitors. Also the support staff were useless.

The person who told me about it was getting in a decent amount of work from it though.

Mick-Markting-Man
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    SAmedia, post: 110784 wrote:
    I’ve used serviceseeking a couple of times, but found that the most if the quotes were useless.

With that in mind, If a job came up in Adelaide, I would quote instantly and call up as soon as possible. That way I made an appointment on the same day and signed them up then and there.

But like most of the other posters, you just get undercut by foreign companies…

Yeah true that… But if your price is (according to your sig) $329, how did you get undercut??
    :)

DanielM
    • Total posts: 241
    Up

Elance.com

You can be a freelancer on that website. It has a very large audience base as well. I have hired from there on a few separate occasions.

createdevelop
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

If you are a professional, low-spec or no-spec work should be avoided. To write a proper specification for any web or marketing job takes about 2 hours of work. To then have to pay to pitch is crazy. Our biggest clients pay US to pitch for work.

No spec work like this, for us at least, is really not worth our time for a few reasons;
    – Clients asking for quotes from websites like these are generally not looking for a long term relationship
    – What we do is unique, and of a high quality. Why should we try to pitch to the lowest common denominator
    – We have a good stream of clients coming from other areas.
    – If a client is willing to make a decision based on a basic pitch, then they don’t need help from an experienced operator.

I am sure the system works for industries that trade commodities, but I find it hard to see how it would work well for creative industries.

socrates
    Up
    web_gypsy, post: 41187 wrote:
    Hi, I have joined serviceseeking.com.au
    I find that there are lots of jobs on offer, but also lots competing for the jobs. They are mostly competing on price. I don’t see how I could win a job if I charge a decent rate per hour.
    I wouldn’t mind trying my luck if they didn’t charge every time you put a quote in or contacted the client.
    I imagine I could spend $100’s and lots of time casting my net with no return.
    I am a graphic and web designer.
    Has anyone had any luck with them? or know of a better place to look for freelance work?
    I have tried a couple of others in the past with no luck, but at least that was a one off membership fee with community and info.

I am not too impressed with them. Now they have reduced the quotes by shutting them down after 12 quotes are received. So I have typically 2 hours or less to quote or I will miss out.

socrates
    Up

I am not too impressed with them. Now they have reduced the quotes by shutting them down after 12 quotes are received. So I have typically 2 hours or less to quote or I will miss out.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I find that people on those sort of sites want to pay as little as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.