Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Does Facebook earn you credibility/trustworthiness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Canex Graphic Designs
    • Total posts: 222
    Up
    ::

I’ve been thinking… many people try to get customers by having a Facebook page for free advertising and creating a Facebook ad campaign. I’ve had clients and friends asking me the following so thought I’d put it up here to get a wider range of opinions and to help others here who are wondering the same thing:

Does having a Facebook link on your website with it showing the number of people who ‘Lke’ your page actually give you more credibility and make you seem more ‘trustworthy’?

Does it work the other way too? If I only have a small number of “Likes”, will this go against me and make people think I’m no good?

I’d just like to know how much value you place on a Facebook page of a business that you are looking at and the number of “Likes” it has…

Thanks in advance for any opinions/feedback and please feel free to “Like” my page here and I will definitely “Like” yours back to say thanks :)

Nelson

Bizzy
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hi Nelson,

I honestly don’t place much value in the whole business page side of facebook. It’s easy and free to set one up, but I like to keep facebook for friends and family and when I see businesses in my newsfeed it seems out of place and slightly invasive. Which is why I don’t ‘like’ any business pages.

I think it definitely works for some industries and not at all for others. For example split second decision purchases like soft drinks, cosmetics, etc. where it reinforces the brand and name repetition.

MrSmithers
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi,

I don’t have a website but I can tell you what I think when I see it on other websites if that’s relevant.

Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83014 wrote:
    Does having a Facebook link on your website with it showing the number of people who ‘Lke’ your page actually give you more credibility and make you seem more ‘trustworthy’?

Yes to the credible part. I was on website yesterday for Web Tutorials and they had over 17,000 facebook likes. It was impressive. But trustworthy is another kettle of fish I think.

Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83014 wrote:
    Does it work the other way too? If I only have a small number of “Likes”, will this go against me and make people think I’m no good?

Not for me. I guess it depends on who your audience is. If you were Google and had 300 likes then yes it would hurt your credibility, but if you were ‘Jan’s Homemade Preserves’, 300 would be impressive. + its a progessive thing. If I came came back in 6 months to Jan’s website and the likes hadn’t moved much I probably would ask myself why.

Canex Graphic Designs
    Up

It’s very interesting to see how people have different opinions on this topic and how they analyse it so thanks for the feedback :)

Nelson

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

i think testimonials are more effective than likes on facebook.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    tonyk, post: 83085 wrote:
    i think testimonials are more effective than likes on facebook.

I agree…. my finger has hovered over delete several times where my Facebook page is concerned…. it’s got a few more months, if I don’t get at least one new client from it, it’s gone…

Canex Graphic Designs
    Up

Thanks for replying guys!
    I guess it also depends on whether your target market will find you on Facebook, how useful/interesting your Facebook page is for them and how often you update it.

I’ve been thinking of considering it for a while but think that it is free advertising that doesn’t require that much attention (other than the updating/uploading of info etc). I guess I’m with you Bridiej – if I don’t get anything out of it then what’s the point? I’ll have to make sure I keep asking clients where they found me and if they have looked at my Facebook page to see whether I should just scrap it.

So thanks – I’ll pass this info on next time someone asks me :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83154 wrote:
    I guess it also depends on whether your target market will find you on Facebook, how useful/interesting your Facebook page is for them and how often you update it.

I’ve been thinking of considering it for a while but think that it is free advertising that doesn’t require that much attention (other than the updating/uploading of info etc). I guess I’m with you Bridiej – if I don’t get anything out of it then what’s the point? I’ll have to make sure I keep asking clients where they found me and if they have looked at my Facebook page to see whether I should just scrap it.

Adding a How you found us section to your contact form may be a good idea

wls
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hi Nelson,

I think that Facebook has different roles to play for different businesses. For more established ones with an existing reputation it seems to be a straight promo channel, that they push competitions and offers through. For others it is a place to start the customer relationship.

But, fundamentally it is a communications channel so it doesn’t create credibility, what you put into it creates credibility.

On trust, the interactions from your community can produce content that engenders trust, but if you want something more lasting than a wall post, a custom page that is interesting and builds in customer experiences and testimonials or on the Info page include a link to testimonials on your own website to create something more permanent.

regards
    Wendy

Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83154 wrote:

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

I guess it can’t hurt to have more likes

for example if there were two businesses that do the same thing and 1 had no fans and the other had 1000 You could perhaps think that

1: the 1000 likes is for a business that has been around longer
    2: people actually like them as apposed to the other company

I think is is a small part to creating credibility, everything adds up, and what is credible to one person is not credible to another so I think it effects credibility, but no I would not invest Money into getting likes

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up

Well, my Facebook page is no more… last night it was mucking about again so I decided that was the final straw and pulled the plug…

Canex Graphic Designs
    Up

Just wanted to make it clear that I was not thinking of paying for Facebook Likes… just in case anyone was thinking that!! Honesty is the best policy :D

Bridiej – if it is a waste of time, you have made the right decision and you can invest your time in more useful/profitable things now!

Nelson

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Nelson,
    According to all the latest research I’ve seen, most folk are too “street smart” to be trapped by ineffectual Facebook promotions.

Most consumers follow a company’s Facebook page for:
    a. free samples,
    b. discounts and coupons.
    c. to view a high interest video. (Eg. Latest Disney movie promo.)

Most of the time spent promoting companies on Facebook would appear to be poorly invested compared to other online marketing options. A big part of this waste may be attributed to poor use of the medium.

PS. What a low “likes” number tells you is that very few people read that Facebook page. Now look at the numbers of replies to that Facebook post. Are there any? If not, that suggests to any visitor that no one is interested in the businesses’ corporate ravings anyway.

Regs,
    JohnW

Leisa D
    • Total posts: 563
    Up

No, anyone can set up a FB page and tell their followers what they want them to know so it does nothing to build creditbility or trustworthiness. It’s useful for letting clients know about specials, etc. but so is email. From a user perspective, I skip through the business updates to get to my friends and family so I think overall it’s pretty useless for business.

EG
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

My web site has gained a lot of support from using Facebook. It has taken time and I dont use it for direct selling rather just to offer more information and stories relating to my products., but from my limited experience it has been well worth while.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.