Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Does Facebook earn you credibility/trustworthiness?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    desktopguy
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I am not viewing it as a numbers game – more like an extra avenue of exposure.
    I started my FB site a little over a month ago and am on the cusp of 24 likes – allowing me the rename my vanity page.
    It will be interesting to see if there is any extra traction as I redo my business cards etc.. with all the social links.
    If nothing else, it is a cheap experiment – I have looked at advertising in the paper, Adwords etc… and FB / LinkedIn / Twitter are cheap forms of exposure if done well.
    I have a “Liked” your page – funny thing is, I setup design and advertising companies for a living and am using social media to extend my reach.
    Here is my page – //www.facebook.com/pages/D-Revolution/228587303825367

Regards

Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

To answer your question, no.

This “you like me and I’ll like you” business has backfired of late with many people recalling their ‘likes’ as the practice has gotten out of control. Would you believe they have ‘like armies’ now where you go on ‘like marches’. Pathetic.

Does that mean I think Facebook is ineffective? No. Used intelligently, it can do wonders.

But if it’s credibility and trustworthiness you’re after, you’re going to have to do a heck of a lot more than a page on FB.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

deliver quality consistently and your credibility will take care of itself.

Beautician
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Does quality sell though? There’s a lot of people on Facebook producing crap out there who are making big sales on Facebook because they’re able to hype it. This doesn’t mean you have credibility though.

Jewellery is a classic example. Check out the pages on Facebook that do “handcrafted jewellery” and some of the prices they command for basic string jobs. A discerning woman wouldn’t pay 2c for it but because they have ‘likes’ and a pretty font and a few hundred followers and bang, they’re jewellers or silversmiths. Do they sell? Yes. Do they have credibility in industry? Not by a long shot.

Like Masterchef where the contestants are touted as chefs when, really, they’re game show players. But the show has a catchy song, a small time food critic who thinks he’s a culinary connoisseur, a pretty font and all the hot air worthy of a flatulent old man and, voila, people think there’s truth to the hype. Does it sell? Yes. Does have credibility in the industry? No.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

do more likes = trust or anything else of status value?

OF COURSE NOT and anyone thinking it does are deluding themselves.

Like twitter with all those ‘tools’ to get more followers (trains etc) merely having likes does nothing except put your content on someone’s page who in reality will have no interest in what you do.

Classic example, right here on FS is that inane thread on you become a fan, I become a fan….all those people desperate to get follower regardless of who they are, what they do….

I have a facebook page that is growing slowly, but I know that those who follow are doing so for a good reason – because they are happy customers. It only has a few over a hundred, but I reckon that is better than having 1000 wooed and harvested followers with little or no interest other that getting back-followers

To be honest – I am very undersold on the worth of FB for business use

AquaGirl
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

lol Beautician your comments are priceless!

True about some so-called jewellery makers who’s work is awful and cheap making a big hype and making sales

I think people are generally impressionable. If a store happens to have a bunch of ppl inside everyone else will walk in thinking it must be amazing. In the quieter times they may think what’s wrong with it

Same with online.. people see 1000 likes on facebook and think hey i’ll do it too… sheep. sad but true. Just look at how some big brands that are really not good have advertised so persistently to get it ingrained in people that they are a big force

bigdipper
    Participant
    • Total posts: 46
    Up
    AquaGirl, post: 84715 wrote:
    Same with online.. people see 1000 likes on facebook and think hey i’ll do it too… sheep. sad but true. Just look at how some big brands that are really not good have advertised so persistently to get it ingrained in people that they are a big force

Some good comments there AquaGirl.

For the majority of people everything they do is about perceptions.

So if someone is looking to buy something and there are 2 equally balanced products or services it is the little things can then push the prospective customer to you. Whether that “thing” is the number of likes, the amount of testimonials, your brochure or website font etc who knows???? That is where marketing comes in!

mfp
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I had never really thought about it until a few months ago when some more social media savvy people than I suggested that potential clients would look for my company when assessing bids. I decided to create a personal and business facebook page shortly thereafter.

I have become quite fond of FB for its ease of use, although I find I am using it more for the community groups that I am a member of. I dont believe ive generated any business as aresult of my facebook page (yet).

I figure that it was free (good) and took little time to setup (also good) and that if a potential client looks at it and likes what they see, elevating my bid above a competitors, and I generate one contract from it – then I am ahead.

See MFP Consulting on facebook and tell me if you ‘like’ it or not.. sorry, couldnt resist that awful pun.

trixxta
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

As a lot of people have already said it is very industry dependant – sometimes getting too heavily involved with social media can damage your brand – for instance there is no likebox on the commonwealth bank site where you can see how many of your friends have “liked” commbank even though they have a facebook page. If they did that it would make their brand seem more childish and immature which a bank definitely does not want.

That said it can work for many brands in a positive way and drive traffic. I would give it a go but don’t waste too much time on it. Its more important to concentrate on your site itself and delivering what your customers want.

That said for my site http://www.sydneyvoice.com which is just starting out facebook has been a great resource for “kick starting” traffic to it. By letting my personal facebook friends know about it and providing likeboxes, fanpages etc I am driving traffic without mailbombing all my friends in an annoying way.

It’s all horses for courses really :)

fromscratch78
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Facebook is amazing for business to consumer.
    This is where everyone spends their time, if you work it right by giving way freebies and doing competitions you can get great results.
    The PPC advertising network is also very good as you can target your audience by age / sex / location and interests.
    Business to Business is another story, as you are targetting businesses, they are not going to get excited about your service on facebook and if they dont engage with you then their friends dont hear about you.
    Having a few likes on your page is probably not that big a deal as your competitors probably have the same issues as you.

For your business,
    I wouldn’t link FB from your site, and focus on twitter or even better google Plus.

These places are better for business to business, make sure you go in as yourself though.
    People engage with people better than a business name.

Ive made a few videos about facebook marketing if anyone else needs some help.
    Here they are, hope you find them useful:

Tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMPXsur6IE&feature=related

Case Study

Before
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGT9mPaTADA&feature=related

After (1 month)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cpFatsoliQ

good luck
    Mitch
    Big IQs

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Canex Graphic Designs, post: 83014 wrote:
    I’ve had clients and friends asking me the following so thought I’d put it up here to get a wider range of opinions and to help others here who are wondering the same thing:

Does having a Facebook link on your website with it showing the number of people who ‘Lke’ your page actually give you more credibility and make you seem more ‘trustworthy’?
    Hi Canex,
    Your client’s social media links on their web pages may initially help the client’s site look more modern.

However, if people click through to the client’s Facebook page and find only 32 people have “liked” it in 6 months of intensiive activity, then your client may end up with egg on their face.

I don’t think people are stupid.

They only have to look at the relevancy of the info to them, the number of “likes” and scan the resposes to the posts. Most business Facebook pages are worse that a waste of time.

When a business has an ineffective Facebook strategy, I believe it can damage them greatly.

Regs,
    JohnW

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

I think there’s been some really interesting points made here – particularly about having quality content and the value of FB for business to consumer.

From feedback I’ve had from younger consumers – Y gen – they place credibility on social media profiles of businesses, but that’s not surprising, as it’s all a very normal part of life to them.

For X gen and baby boomers I don’t think social media is a point of credibility.

For She Inspires I’ve found FB to be really useful for attracting readers, subscribers and advertisers so it’s worked particularly well for me. But then, I’ve also put effort into it this year so the difference between 2010 and 2011 is significant.

For Creatively Belle I’ve only just created a business page for it and it’s growing slowly, as expected.

I love that it’s free advertising and builds my relationship with my customers. Social media is an integral part of my marketing mix – just as my email newsletters are. I don’t do print advertising at all any more.

It has been a learning experience and I expect to keep on learning constantly with it and also to keep benefiting from it as I get better with it.

My interviews with others making a success from it all have benefited me, taught me more so if you’re interested you can check them out at http://www.sheinspires.com.au/social-media-tips

It took me quite a while to get my head around Facebook. But now I have I value it in my marketing plan. Next is to get Twitter up there too!

Good luck to everyone with their marketing – whatever form it takes!

Luth6322
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

What a great topic. We have considered starting a fb page for our business, and there is certainly a lot of food for thought here.

We want people to have a connection to our product, to know what we are doing on the farm, and put them to more information regarding why they should be choosing our products over other alternatives. We’ve always thought though fb would be a good tool to do this, in addition to our newsletters..and of course people can come and visit too.

For us its all about people getting to know us, and therefore less likely to quickly move to another product on something like price.

Are you able to remove the like page, and just have people subscribe to the threads?

NickHumphries
    • Total posts: 418
    Up

I think it is definently important how many likes you have. It’s like how we use youtube video views to gauge popularity. It’s the same for your business. The more likes, the more popular and thus more reliable and safe.

MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up

Hey

Checked out your page. Things I think are relevant to this conversation:

1. LIkes don’t mean anything but sales do. You’re looking at Facebook for business the wrong way.

2. You are in a crowded FB niche BUT there are plenty of deisgn firms that ONLY exist on FB and make a good living out of it. If I were you, I woudl focus on networking in the WAHP scene on FB – OOOODLES of work for you there.

3. For a graphic designer, you page lacks “pop” – design up a welcome page and side bar etc. As your branding is quite blokey, I would consider softening it slightly for FB as women are the main networkers and purchasers. Otherwise use that to differentiate yourself – make you FB motto – No I don’t design freaking pastel owls – you’ll probably get a few customers from just NOT being that designer.

4. Graphic design is an INSANELY crowded niche for SEO too. Facebook has a SEOMoz Authority of 100, the Alexa rank of 2 (the second biggest site in the whole wide world) and can lend you a WHOLE lot of SEO power. Optimise your page for search engines, whack in an RSS feed, get your tweets, blogs, you tube and FB all workign in sync and see yourself appearing all over google.

5. If you don’t enjoy facebook, don’t do it, or pass it on to a community manager to do for you – otherwise your branding will be there – it will be “lame”

Hope that helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.