Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Does giveaways only attract cheap people?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jabar
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    ::

I have been wondering about facebook giveaways and thinking if they only attract people that want bargains… I see everyday more online stores running expensive giveaways (well 100 AUD in products is expensive for me) to attract facebook likes and I am not sure if it is a good strategy still to get real customers or just to get likes from bargain hunters? I tried to run a giveaway of a product (cost 12 dollars) to only get 2 likes on facebook. Does facebook giveaways are actually increasing your customers? thanks

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

The answer is it depends… It is definitely possible to have a discount / giveaway that just purely attracts bargain hunters with no brand loyalty. The key is designing a discount/giveaway/offer which entices the right kind of people, and then having a STRONG method of following up, or encouraging a repeat purchase after they get an initial taste.

A lot of big radio promotions will just attract what’s known as “prize pigs” who just follow stations, call up for every promo, have little interest in the brand but just want something for free.

So it’s important to know that just giving stuff away for free won’t solve your problem. You must sit down and DESIGN the promotion, figure out what metrics you will measure so you can calculate how successful it is for your business.

Are you going for new customers, registrations in a database, a conversion of some kind etc? Once you have figured that out you’ll be able to get much more value for your business from any kind of promotion.

jabar
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Thanks for that, I guess I misunderstood the objective of a giveaway, which I though would be to boost sales but it seems more like a way to engage people with the store..

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

It can be used to boost sales. the point is to plan and decide on what your objectives are, and design your promotion around that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.