Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Does it ever stop being a work in progress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    three brains
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

New to Flying Solo, and new to running my own business after many years in corporate land. Will be looking at offering consulting services in the New Year as experienced in brand marketing, setting up and running e-commerce operations and lately crash coursing to polish up graphic design skills. But always within bigger businesses.

In the short-term, giving Print on Demand T-Shirt design a go as a bit of a pilot into being entrepreneurial. Not likely to be a long-term business model, but finding it a good place to practice skills for low investment. Be interested if anyone has operated in this area successfully. But do seem to have a continuous ‘to do’ list every single day. So as the title asks, does it ever stop being a work in progress?

Already found useful content on this site, will jump in if I can add value anywhere.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums [USER=116608]@three brains[/USER]!

I don’t think it stops. Facebook is still a work in progress. So is Amazon.
    Even if your business becomes profitable, there’s always progress to be made (or it won’t be profitable for long).

Great idea to try a small venture for experience. Though you are prob up against people who live and breathe T-shirts. Keep that in mind for your next business – do something you’d be happy to live and breathe, and you will have the advantage.

Keep going :)
    Dave

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I did have a successful POD business through Cafepress, and also printing with my own equipment many years ago, but it is much harder to market your designs now. I tried again earlier this year with the same types of products and model but I just couldn’t get it to work this time around, even with some tweaking, so I just bought a bus a few days ago and I am starting a new minibus tour business instead to add to my potato breeding business.

Of course, if you are good at marketing and find the right niche there is no reason to think it won’t work.

Oh, and it NEVER stops

three brains
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Thanks both for prompt responses. Like the insights. I do think POD might prove too competitive in the end, but it’s a good place to ‘warm up’ my marketing and entrepreneur skills.

And good luck with the bus venture, Rowan@quaotic that sounds fantastic!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy

Having been in both the business world (corporate) along with my own enterprises for many years, i feel that it never stops.

Adding to this, and from what i have seen and experienced, it tends to go hand in hand with the type of person that is willing to work for themselves. They are always seeking to refine, adapt and generate new revenue streams – potentially.. It may be out of necessity, or even passion some would say…

Wishing you all the best in the new venture.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

If you are not improving then you are decaying. I think the good old days of sitting back and cruising are long gone.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

[USER=34537]@LucasArthur[/USER] and [USER=5318]@JamesMillar[/USER] are spot on if you stop you die.

But more importantly [USER=28171]@Rowan@quaotic[/USER] can you provide some details on how/where you got public liability for your mini bus tours, I’m struggling to find someone to even give me a ball park figure at the moment for a little niche tour I’m trying to look at.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up
    bb1, post: 268035, member: 53375 wrote:
    But more importantly [USER=28171]@Rowan@quaotic[/USER] can you provide some details on how/where you got public liability for your mini bus tours, I’m struggling to find someone to even give me a ball park figure at the moment for a little niche tour I’m trying to look at.

It was difficult since the main passenger service insurer (SURA) bought out most of the others, and their prices are so high, but my broker looked around and got a MUCH cheaper quote from Global Transport which covered most of what SURA does, and even with the public liability included with the comprehensive it was much cheaper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.