Home – New Forums Marketing mastery does magazine advertising work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sam hunt
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

I recently have just released a new product that i am manufacturing and selling direct from my website.

On the day my website went live, i got a free small write up in a popular magazine, “Australian hospitality” in the new products section.

From that i have had just 1 enquiry, and yes i am disheartened as i do believe i have a great product but i suppose i have had alot of visits to my site aprox 700 for april.

They told me that they have readership of 60’000 and i understand how this number can be broken down to almost a quarter of people that see the mag through to the end page, but how do you get the most out of it? does it only really work for large brands that can afford a page spread 1 page from the front?

has anyone had any good results from mag adverts?

thanks in advance

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

I don’t advertise in magazines myself but I know people who have got some good results. The people who own this website:

http://stickee.com.au/

told me they have got very good ideas advertising in the magazines you can see on their site. If the magazine is read by your target audience you may get some good results.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Not for me!

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Could be any one of a few factors that caused it to fail. It all comes down to the 3 critical factors of List, Message and Offer.

Are your prospects reading the magazine?

Was your ad any good?

Did you make a compelling offer that made them take action?

Magazine advertising certainly works, or there would be no ads in magazines. But you have to get all these 3 things to line up.

Why not post your ad here, and we might be able to shed some light on it. Just because it didn’t work is not necessarily because magazine ads don’t work.

Hugh

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up
    Hugh Thyer, post: 36450 wrote:
    Could be any one of a few factors that caused it to fail. It all comes down to the 3 critical factors of List, Message and Offer.

Are your prospects reading the magazine?

Was your ad any good?

Did you make a compelling offer that made them take action?

I think it is more to do with ROI. For me magazine advertising is just too expensive for the return and I really do not think they are that powerful. I really can’t think of anything I have ever purchased based on a magazine ad. A personal example as a consumer: I learned to scuba dive about 20 years ago and as part of the membership subscriptions I have received a glossy mag chock full of expensive ads ever since (that’s about 240 of them) and I have read/skimmed every one of them. I have also spent $ks on gear but never because of an ad. I may possibly have been influenced by editorial reviews but never an ad. I can tell you who the prominent advertisers are that I have seen over the last 20 years but that does not necessarily line up with my purchasing decisions.

I believe the companies that do ok with magazine advertising are large organisations with lots of sales channels. For me a small business with just a single outlet it just isn’t worth the expense.

Magazine advertising certainly works, or there would be no ads in magazines. But you have to get all these 3 things to line up.

Sure they work for some but how effective are they compared to other ways of spending your dollar and how much money is wasted? I think there are a fair number of advertisers who use this thinking that ‘others do it therefore it must work’, ditto for yellow pages, tv, radio. But for a small business this is very dangerous if not fatal. You really have to look at will this work for me, with my offerings, in my market, with my budget? I guess this is the process that Sam is going through by asking the question so credit to them.

Why not post your ad here, and we might be able to shed some light on it. Just because it didn’t work is not necessarily because magazine ads don’t work.

Thanks for the kind offer but my trial ads are gone and buried.

The thing I dislike about the advertising industry and print media is definitely included, is that so often they don’t really back their products. You can spend thousands of dollars and the risk is all yours. If a customer comes to me and says I want to take my surf board to the beach, I provide them with roof racks and if they can’t take their surf board to the beach I have to resolve it. Now what if I said to a magazine/newspaper/directory/etc “ok you have very impressive circulation figures and all the other guff you give me but the bottom line is I want to pay you 6% of the sales you can generate for me from advertising can you do it?” What do you reckon the answer would be? What if I said I will pay you 6% on the sales generated by an advert and you can decide if you want to keep running my ad?
    (6% of sales is just an appropriate advertising budget for my industry and a return I would be happy with).

The only advertising I now use is that which can be turned off quickly, can be trialled cheaply and doesn’t involve me taking a $1000+ gamble with no guarantees.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Any form of advertising relies on repetition. The gurus say an ad has to be repeated 7 times for its full effectiveness to be seen

But that won’t mean a bad ad will give good results if shown 7 times.

My suggestion is find a low cost publication that you will have readers interested in your product.

Run an ad daily for a few weeks, but every week, change an element of the ad:

the headline
    the picture
    the offer
    more text/less text
    etc

This should also be done for websites and Google tools allows you to do this split testing.

All marketing is about testing and measuring.

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

Hi Sam,

The main thing about any type of advertising is the relevancy, if you can reach a crowd of people who are already shown an interest on the product or you’d think would relate to the product then you have a better chance of succeeding.

For instance if you are selling ladies’ shoes you should advertise on fashion magazines, a place where people look for new fashion ideas. The new age of advertising is targeting niche markets unlike ten years ago when the target was to have a wide coverage.

Find a magazine that relates to your product, write an ad copy with a suggestive strong call to action, create a specific landing page on your site for the ad, track campaign through Analytics. You can’t go wrong, best of luck!

Best Regards,
    Samith.

YoungNomad
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hitting just one segment of the “marketing” wheel won’t get you many results – there’s a new train of thought stepping away from the repetition over a long period of time (ie the 7 rule) … the new thinking is short, heavy bursts of marketing in a short period of time – saturate the market in a very short period of time (ie 4 weeks).

We employ this strategy; magazine, letterbox drop, radio etc. Expensive, but huge market presense, brand awareness and calls to action.

mynwworld5
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

My answer is yes, as i am businessman and doing magazine advertising. I think many people read magazine who are interested in reading and by advertisement they surely attract toward the product. If in your advertisement the relevant information is there then people will surely think about that. Attractive design, photos also attract them. But risk is there but the point is in every business some of the risk is there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.