Home – New Forums Starting your journey Does my ABN have to be listed under my real name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bnnann
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I starting work as a freelance copywriter, and want to use a pen name. I’m currently registered as sole trader under my real name, but I was wondering if that can be changed to my pen name? And if not, can I still use my pen name on invoices, or do I have to use the name registered to my ABN?

Thanks!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi bnnann,

Interesting question!

I’ll be interested to read the responses you get.

In the meantime, welcome to the forum, and good luck for your new venture.

Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I would think that you pen name needs to be registered as a business name and then the associated ABN, transferred or new, attached to it.

Then just as a business all your invoices would be under than name.

I am sure an accountant on here can confirm the best way.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

When operating as a sole trader you are the legal entity, and therefore the ABN connects to you. Your pen name should be registered as a business name if not already (as MissSassy suggested). The ABN is still yours, but the pen name then acts kind of like your (legally registered) alias, and then you can display your pen name + your ABN on invoices and the like.

If you wish your pen name to hold its own ABN then it may need to be registered as a company (e.g. Pty Ltd), which is then a separate legal entity that is entitled to hold an ABN.

bnnann
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 188118 wrote:
    When operating as a sole trader you are the legal entity, and therefore the ABN connects to you. Your pen name should be registered as a business name if not already (as MissSassy suggested). The ABN is still yours, but the pen name then acts kind of like your (legally registered) alias, and then you can display your pen name + your ABN on invoices and the like.

If you wish your pen name to hold its own ABN then it may need to be registered as a company (e.g. Pty Ltd), which is then a separate legal entity that is entitled to hold an ABN.

Thank you, MissSassy & JacquiPryor! Very helpful.

StevenMelbourne
    • Total posts: 47
    Up

A company is probably your best bet, it will cost about $500 to set up and annual ASIC fees of a few hundred, but it is a separate legal entity and will let you use your pen name

@JamesIrving
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Your ABN was issued to an entity, I understand you as an individual sole trader. This is the entity that should be named on invoices together with the ABN. If you want to use a different name, you can also register the new name (say your pen name) as a business name, in which case you would put on your invoices: Real Name (ABN ###) trading as “Pen Name”. If you incorporate, the company will get a unique identifier ACN and can ask for an ABN. You can’t start using the pen name on invoices as though it were your real name because that would be creating a false persona, and it would be incorrect to attach the ABN issued to you in your real name to the pen name directly, i.e. not in a “trading as” formulation.

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Accurate information above ….

Just one point … why would anyone undertaking subcontracting or contracting to other firms or publications want the costs & headache associated with having a company?

People on here seem to try to recommend individuals to start up companies too readily.

Do not .. I repeat, do not start up a company unless you really need the benefits that arrangement provides. And realise the increased costs, burden & complexity associated with that arrangement.
    If talking about starting up a company it would be wise to state all the imposed regulatory requirements & potential additional costs … it is not just a one of fee of $500 & then a few hundred dollars per year.
    Though having said all that… if you have admin staff & employees & associated running environment, becoming a company may not be such a big step for you.

Your personal ABN is fine. Then it costs around $100 for a trading name that will be added to that ABN. So you keep the same ABN but then can state your trading name on the invoices.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.