Home – New Forums Money matters Does PayPal only scare people away?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    work4me
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

With my website, I currently offer only PayPal as a payment option for subscriptions, as I am still in the process of setting up a merchant ID and payment gateway via the bank.

My opinion is that a significant number of people will not subscribe if they can only subscribe using PayPal.

Does anybody have experience of this? Anybody had only PayPal and then added a bank payment gateway and saw a difference in sales?

Thanks,

ResultsVA
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I’m also interested in people’s thoughts on this as I’m about to offer a paypal only service for another site of mine.

My personal opinion is that anyone who spends a lot of time online, or has an ebay account etc are fine with PayPal, but that there are a lot of people still wary of paypal.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

I’ve a PayPal account, but avoid using it when possible. Not for security fears or anything, I feel that PayPal is quite secure. I’ve just never really jumped on board with the idea.

Having said that, I don’t hesitate to use it when I HAVE to. But if I had the choice between using PayPal or paying with my Visa card, I would certainly pick my Visa card. Which is strange giving that’s probably the LEASE secure way to pay out of the two options, haha.

I’m just funny :(

I do know people that don’t trust PayPal though. People that won’t use eBay because they HAVE to use PayPal. They don’t trust the unknown, or can’t be bothered signing up. I say sign up anyway, you get like $0.13 for verifying your account! ;)

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

I cant answer your question ie sales re pre and after offering something other than PayPal, but I prefer to pay by PayPal if Im offered a credit card option and PayPal. I wont pay by credit card unless I absolutely have to (online).

I prefer PayPal.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I agree with Jill – when I am purchasing online I prefer PayPal because my cc details don’t go to the supplier. I suppose it’s a matter of making your customers feel safe and secure about using it and why.

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Don’t know about offering paypal then adding credit card options, but a a client recently did it the other way around – had the full merchant options for a couple of years and then added the paypal option and all of a sudden a huge percentage of her buyers were buying with paypal rather than anything else. I think these days there are a lot more people familiar with it, but I guess there will always be those who still hesitate.

Tracey Anne
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

I agree with Jill and Karen C. Living in a regional area I do a lot of purchasing online and always like to have the PayPal option.
    I think if you’re scaring customers off it’s probably less PayPal itself and more that you’re not giving them options.

Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Have you thought about using Paypal to take credit card payments if its going to take a while before your merchant account is setup?

Doesn’t take much extra effort to setup and while from memory the fees are higher it might help you get established in the meantime.

Dave.

DanR
    • Total posts: 79
    Up

The problem with PayPal is that the merchant get absolutely ZERO protection…. if one of your customers complains they will chargeback the transaction pretty much no matter what evidence yuo provide.

The customer could lie and say the product was faulty or it never was delivered or it’s not as described.

I’ve seen this many times… PayPal is evil…. I have had some bad experiences with it.

They locked about $75,000 of my money in PayPal for 180 days once for no real good reason.

Dartshop
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

My Darts Shop used to have a Merchant Gateway and credit card checkout, but after 12 months we removed that and now have the checkout system using ONLY Paypal.

We have noticed no decrease in sales and approx 40% of the clients are not Paypal Members, but can still pay through the paypal checkout. Intrestingly, only 5% of clients choose direct payment or transfers and under 1% by money order.

Regards Paypal, on ebay i did well over 2000 sales and not one fraudulent paypal transaction. In the commercial website we have done more than this and not one fraudulent paypal transaction……but we do have some things that we do:

1. NO international sales via Paypal, at all.

2. Orders over $150 we make phone contact and confirm address, etc.

3. Any hotmail, yahoo or email address like that, we always crosscheck against white or yellow pages for name, address etc, or call.

Whatever the reason, we have no issues with Paypal and i LOVE paying by paypal.

Just my thoughts :)

DanR
    • Total posts: 79
    Up

Oh yes and PayPal can be expensive….

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Personally? I know PayPay is evil. I’ve heard the many many horror stories …. yet it is my main way I prefer to pay for a lot of subscriptions (domain name renewals, hosting, and website memberships etc).

Why? Because I use PayPal to MAKE purchases not so much receive them. (My customers primarily pay by cash or direct deposit anyway so it’s no biggie.)

Honestly? Offer both. If you can only offer PayPal right now.. factor in the PayPal charges for processing payments (incl. credit cards) into your prices … however offer both as soon as you can :)

Rondelle@ScrapLounge
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

I think if you’re going to gain new customers by offering alternatives to paypal then do it but make sure it’s going to be worth the extra monthly bank fees you’ll get for having a merchant facility. Previously when I was selling retail products online I had a merchant facility but found it just wasn’t worth the extra cost when my customer base were quite happy to use paypal.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I think paypal is a great option to have on any site. Many people use Paypal and trust the brand. I have used Paypal extensivly and have only a few problems, which were quickly solved.

Such is business.

DanR, post: 16944 wrote:
    PayPal is evil…. I have had some bad experiences with it.

I have heard the horror stories but lucky have never caught out.

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

We solely use paypal on our site, and have found it very easy to setup and use. I don’t think it scares people away (or many), but have found some people are not so familiar with it and we get a few questions about using it. But also I have had people tell me how ‘green’ they are buying online and found it very easy – maybe because they read and follow the instructions rather than rush their way through like those that are more internet savy..?

Also when you proceed through to the checkout a few people are occasionally tripped up as it isn’t obvious you can still pay via paypal if you don’t have an account. There is just a small amount of text on the lower left hand side that says, “Don’t have a PayPal account?
    Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue”
    But this still seems to be missed, as I guess your eyes are drawn straight to the login box.

The sending invoices and requesting money functions are great also when dealing with large orders, or to provide discount pricing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.