Home – New Forums Money matters Does PayPal only scare people away?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    ::

I would much rather pay by direct deposit into an account than to use my credit card or Paypal. My second choice would be by bpay but that has some costs associated with it, However even paypal has costs associated with it as well.

meredith
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

My preference is to purchase using Paypal rather than my debit card, not only because I’m not giving the merchant my account number directly, but also because of the buyer protection it affords.

There have been a couple of occasions where I have not received the items purchased (and they were digital items too surprisingly), and the dispute resolution handled everything nicely.

Meredith

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I prefer Paypal as a buyer for it’s protection policies. It can be expensive as a seller.

I now use and Australian alternative called Paymate.com

No merchant arrangement is required with your bank, and credit card buyers don’t need to set up an account to make payments.

Packages start at no monthly fees with hight commission, to $33/month with much lower commissions. Can even be set up so buyer the fees on top of your sale price. http://www.paymate.com/cms/index.php/au-services/46

This post isn’t meant to be an advert, just to let you know that this works well as an alternative to Paypal and would suit many.

Breevree73
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

From purely a consumer perspective, if someone is shopping online, they are probably savvy enough to know what PayPal is all about, and make an informed decision as to whether they will use it.
    Personally, I always take the credit card option, not that I don’t like PayPal, I just use my credit card for everything….(and one day when someone steals my identity, I’ll cry “Why o Why didn’t I use PayPal!!!)
    If you have the option of both, use both. You can only get the best of both worlds, and your customers will be comfortable because they can choose to go with one option or the other.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Depending on how you set up your PayPal account (from a purchasers perspective anyway) if I don’t have enough funds in my credit card, it defaults back to my bank account? Or perhaps the other way around? Not enough in my bank account, so tries to use my CC.

Maybe that’s from my own merchant Paypal account type – I have told Paypal that I have two accounts – a credit card, and a normal bank account.

I can’t remember the last time I paid for something with Paypal (as a customer) so can’t speak at that.

I think most people who *do* have a Paypal account are au-fait with what goes on anyway, so wouldn’t have a problem.

I need to check out Paymate.com

Cheers
    Brad

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I think what a lot of people are forgetting, or not aware of, is that to pay via Paypal using a credit card you do not have to have a Paypal account. The purchaser just selects the option to say they do not have an account and it will ask them for their credit card details just like any other credit card online payment.

For a lot of businesses the Paypal payment gateway is just another payment system. Its not just allowing customers to pay via their Paypal account. Its a merchant facility as well (so to speak).

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I looked at this a while ago and talked to a few people who had a lot of experience in this area.

What I was told by all of them was Paypal only did not affect sales too much and a lot of people are only offering Paypal these days.

This surprised me but hey, what ask experts if you don’t take their advice.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I offer both CC and paypal on my site.

86% of sales people use the CC option.

As I pay my suppliers via paypal, sometimes I switch over to PP only and notice a decline in sales.

I have also found the papyal support process to be the most frustrating experience of my life. I think their staff must attend dumb classes.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.