Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Does website take too long to download?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Premier Audio Visual
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

I have included a fair bit of fancy schmancy stuff on my website, but I worry that people switch off from it as it takes too long to load. My business is professional audio visual in Adelaide, so it needs the modern look, but have I taken it a bit to far???

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    Premier Audio Visual, post: 326 wrote:
    I have included a fair bit of fancy schmancy stuff on my website, but I worry that people switch off from it as it takes too long to load. My business is professional audio visual in Adelaide, so it needs the modern look, but have I taken it a bit to far???

So what’s the URL or did I miss it somewhere?

ozwebfx
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Think about who your target audience would most likely be. Would they most likely be on a broadband connection? Site loads quick & looks ok to me :)

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

I assume you mean:
    Premier AV : Adelaide Audio Visual

As webozfx says … it all depends on your target audience.

Listen to your current customers … has anyone mentioned it yet?

Also, if you are worried about it try and some testing (which is probably a great thing to do anyway):
    Multivariate testing – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a free tool from Google:
    http://www.google.com/websiteoptimizer

Premier Audio Visual
    Up
    ray_223, post: 342 wrote:
    I assume you mean:
    Premier AV : Adelaide Audio Visual

Thanks Ray,
    Noone has mentioned anything, only me being pedantic most probably!
    I will try those links, thanks for your help!

Premier Audio Visual
    Up

OH sorry,

URL is Premier AV : Adelaide Audio Visual

I would expect my customers to be on broadband, so maybe Im worrying for no reason

Thanks to all replies!

scottcarpenter
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

It does take a little while for the front page to load (I’m on an ADSL connection) but it didn’t bother me and I wouldn’t be too concerned.

There is an issue with the text colour being black against a black background in this page when viewed in Firefox – Premier AV : Adelaide Audio Visual Catalog

The text is readable when using Internet Explorer.

Regards,
    Scott Carpenter

Paul_N
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Home page does take a while to load, but it is a Flash web site, so it’s to be expected. I don’t think it’s excessive though. Not a big fan of Flash personally, I think a web site should get to the point without all that stuff going on & definitely don’t like the background music, it’s just not necessary. (Not to mention that it made my music player crash, as I was listening to music on my computer when I went to your site!)

FYI, I was using Firefox, not I.E.

Not being critical, just an honest opinion!

Paul

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

This is my second reply as the site logged me out when I went to submit my last reply. –

Back in the day I was told to stay away from Black as that was for Funerals, Undertakers and that sort of services.

I do not like flash websites either for two main reasons:
    1. They take some time to load.
    2. They are not search engine friendly.

I too am a Firefox user however I found that the website was slower to load in IE than either Firefox or Safari.

As the number of users of IE are dropping and the number of uses of both Firefox and Safari are increasing I would think you would want to make your website available the largest number of people. The best way to do this is by sticking to standard HTML coding this way all browsers are able to display your website.

Having said that your target market most likely will have broadband access so the time that the site takes to load shouldn’t be a problem. You could have a landing page giving visitors the option to select either a flash website or a html website.

PS. The site did it again. That site logged me out again but at least this time it did save what I was typing.

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi BrightSpark – we’ve now extended the session timout setting so hopefully that resolved the logout issue you’ve been having. In any case it should save your post for when you re-login so not sure what happened the first time. Anyway, hopefully it will be better from here on. Thanks.

Premier Audio Visual
    Up

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers!
    I will spend a bit of time sorting out the issues re. firefox.
    I have had that comment before but didnt realise why! Im not the most computer literate of people.
    Wasnt sure about the music either, although havent had any negative comments until now. I do agree that it is unneccesary, but it came with the template that I originally bought.
    Anyway ta to all.

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Try the web page analyser tool

It will tell you where you need to work to get your page loading quicker.

ahortin
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

Personally, I think there’s proabably a little too much animation going on in the homepage. I’m on a 30MB Cable plan and I still got annoyed having to wait for all the menus to load, especially when going to & from the ‘secondary’ pages back to the homepage several times.

One other thing that struck me also was that your homepage is a ‘fixed width’ yet your other pages are ‘liquid’ or full screen. It really should be consistent across the whole site. Either go fixed-width or liquid for every page. Also, the navigation needs to be consistent across all pages. Most of your pages had some sort of navigation down the LH side, but I noticed your “services” page didn’t.

Just a couple of other points. I’d consider losing the music. It tends to get a bit repetitive and doesn’t really add anything to the site, overall. Also, I’d check the Leukaemia Foundation image. You’ll notice that it looks a bit distorted compared to the original image.

Good luck with the fundraising. Hope you reach your goal.

Cheers,
    Anthony.

joe
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

The website speed seems ok. But the speed of the animation is more of an issue. It comes up and for the fist 10 seconds or so just says you do whiteboards, so I start to think oh these guys must just sell white boards. Then I start to get the impression that you probably do all AV stuff. Maybe you should start the animation with an overview statement saying what you do, or put it above the animation. eg

XYZ can help you with all aspects of AV setup and installation in the Adelaide area.

Or some elevator statement like that.

Heidi Price
    • Total posts: 218
    Up

Hey Richard – never ignore the dial-up users!

The site takes almost 3 mins to fully load – if a potential client has stuck in dial-up hell (and yes a lot still are – ta muchly Telstra) you risk losing them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.