Home – New Forums Starting your journey Dog Walker in trouble! What next, can you help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Emma Your Pet Care Expert
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

I launched my professional dog walking and pet care business about 4 weeks ago, I have followed my business plan, marketing strategies and also researched suggestions on websites as to the best way of finding owners who would like you to walk their dogs.

I believe I have good experience, training as well as insurance and police checks, compared to other dog walkers I have spoken to, as some don’t have training or even a website, I believe this can be one of my points of difference. My prices are competitive and I am passionate and really love what I do. I believe I am also quite good at meeting people as I am bubbly and professional, so hope I come across well.

So far I have launched my website, flyers, I visit dog parks and chat to owners, giving away business cards, I have let other dog walkers know I can pick up any of their overflow, formed business partnerships with businesses in a similar industry, have posters in vets, pet shops, coffee shops and even the hairdressers! I also post each day on my facebook page. My website has been noticed by google, but it’s only just launched so I need to be patient to get to the top of searches.

I am not sure what else I can do to reach my audience. Unfortunately after all my efforts I have not yet managed to get one dog to walk!

The area I live in seems to have demand, as the dog parks are often busy and there are other dog walkers who have 4 or even 5 dogs at any one time. I am not sure what I am missing to be able to gain some clients. I would be keen to hear any thoughts or suggestions that may be able to help me …

Thanks in advance,
    Emma

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Emma, if what you are saying is true, you have me stumped????

On the surface you seam to be doing everything right… the only think I could suggest is you are doing all the right thing but doing them wrong???

Have you asked the other dog walkers how they get clients?

I know they are not going to willingly tell you but perhaps you could act as a dog owner and just ask as if you where interested in their service.

Just out of interest, I would love to look and read some of your marketing material.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Emma,

That sounds very demoralising, but don’t give up yet! Remember that many people need to see a piece of marketing or advertising multiple times before they’ll take action.

You do sound like you’re doing all the right things, but may just need to give them a bit longer to kick into gear.

Thank you for joining the forum, and I hope you pick up some little tidbits that help get things moving for you.

All the best,
    Jayne

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Emma

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just remember you only launched 4 weeks ago and these things take time. Keep doing what you are doing.

Do you have a dog? or have a friends dog you could take to the dog parks and hang out with other dog owners? Not to pitch to them just to hang out. I imagine a lot of the dog walking business would be word of mouth.

Good luck

Gabrielle

Up

Thanks for your replies to my thread, it’s really appreciated!

Tony, thanks for your offer to look at what I’ve done so far, I’ve sent you an email, please let me know you’ve received it ok.

Gabrielle, thanks. I’ve been borrowing 2 friends dogs and walk them a couple of times a week for free, with my branded T Shirt on, you’re right it is very word of mouth!

Thanks
    Emma

Social PA
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Emma,

Sounds interesting…

Firstly, don’t get discouraged. Even if you see other dog walkers with multiple dogs – I would imagine this industry would be have quite loyal customers, therefore making it difficult to get people to switch to you.

Sometimes businesses can take time to build. And the waiting game isn’t fun. However, on the plus side, when you do get clients and they love you, they’ll become loyal advocates for you :)

I did notice you didn’t mention anything about Google Adwords advertising? Maybe you could look into this to get some more traction (it will also assist with SEO as your website will start getting noticed). The great thing is, it can be super cheap! I ran a campaign for a client at $1 a day and got huge results. If you like, I can help you choose some keywords to help you get started. Send me a message if you’d like, I’m happy to help :)

Good luck!

Mikayla

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

What exactly is this “marketing strategy”?

Where’s your website?

Up

Hi Mikayla

That would be awesome, what’s your email?

I can send across the keywords I have built into my website. I’ve not signed up to Adwords, as I’m on a shoe-string budget. Instead I’ve applied to Places and Maps, which is free, I’m still awaiting the google letter to confirm my address! If It’s $1 a day I could maybe reconsider using it!

Thanks
    Emma

Social PA, post: 184948 wrote:
    Hi Emma,

Sounds interesting…

Firstly, don’t get discouraged. Even if you see other dog walkers with multiple dogs – I would imagine this industry would be have quite loyal customers, therefore making it difficult to get people to switch to you.

Sometimes businesses can take time to build. And the waiting game isn’t fun. However, on the plus side, when you do get clients and they love you, they’ll become loyal advocates for you :)

I did notice you didn’t mention anything about Google Adwords advertising? Maybe you could look into this to get some more traction (it will also assist with SEO as your website will start getting noticed). The great thing is, it can be super cheap! I ran a campaign for a client at $1 a day and got huge results. If you like, I can help you choose some keywords to help you get started. Send me a message if you’d like, I’m happy to help :)

Good luck!

Mikayla

Up

Hi John,

My website’s http://www.sitrunplay.com.au.

Thanks
    Emma

John Romaine, post: 184950 wrote:
    What exactly is this “marketing strategy”?

Where’s your website?

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Emma,

Don’t despair, 4 weeks is too short.
    Keep with it at the dog parks, I think your getting started at a perfect time.
    The weather is great at the moment so many people enjoy going out and walking the dog. However its changing for shorter days and colder afternoons which is no where near as fun. You will get calls.

Steve

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Your website is gorgeous – I have one comment about it…. It took me quite some time to find your location.

I too am on the beautiful Northern Beaches – This needs to be more prominent on your page and on every post on Social Media.

The dog walking business is really area specific so this must be your focus. It will also help when people are searching. “Manly Dog walkers”

Personally I would not advise you to spend any dollars on ad words etc.

Target the local area heavily, go to networking events for example.

Your clients are going to be time poor so they are not the people at the parks already as they have time.

As a fellow Northern Beaches person – keep going 4 weeks is short and there is lots more you can do for little or no cost. You need to be more creative!

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Website is good – I think you just need more time. Keep doing what you’re doing, putting yourself out there for people to see!

Social PA
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Emma Your Pet Care Expert, post: 184966 wrote:
    Hi Mikayla

That would be awesome, what’s your email?

I can send across the keywords I have built into my website. I’ve not signed up to Adwords, as I’m on a shoe-string budget. Instead I’ve applied to Places and Maps, which is free, I’m still awaiting the google letter to confirm my address! If It’s $1 a day I could maybe reconsider using it!

Thanks
    Emma

Hi Emma,

You can email me at [email protected] :)

Mikayla

Greg W
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

You are doing all the right stuff but I would not concentrate as much on the dog park people as they are already doing what you are proposing.

I would lean heavily to using local community boards and approaching local business owners as I would think they would need your services more due to being busy all day with running their own businesses.

School newsletter ads are also good as busy parents would have one less responsiblity to worry about.

Hope that helps

Spacelli
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    Emma Your Pet Care Expert, post: 184737 wrote:
    I launched my professional dog walking and pet care business about 4 weeks ago, I have followed my business plan, marketing strategies and also researched suggestions on websites as to the best way of finding owners who would like you to walk their dogs.

I believe I have good experience, training as well as insurance and police checks, compared to other dog walkers I have spoken to, as some don’t have training or even a website, I believe this can be one of my points of difference. My prices are competitive and I am passionate and really love what I do. I believe I am also quite good at meeting people as I am bubbly and professional, so hope I come across well.

So far I have launched my website, flyers, I visit dog parks and chat to owners, giving away business cards, I have let other dog walkers know I can pick up any of their overflow, formed business partnerships with businesses in a similar industry, have posters in vets, pet shops, coffee shops and even the hairdressers! I also post each day on my facebook page. My website has been noticed by google, but it’s only just launched so I need to be patient to get to the top of searches.

I am not sure what else I can do to reach my audience. Unfortunately after all my efforts I have not yet managed to get one dog to walk!

The area I live in seems to have demand, as the dog parks are often busy and there are other dog walkers who have 4 or even 5 dogs at any one time. I am not sure what I am missing to be able to gain some clients. I would be keen to hear any thoughts or suggestions that may be able to help me …

Thanks in advance,
    Emma

Hi, I saw your post – have you tried PetHomeStay??? Pet Hosting & Walking services. I think you should check them out to help gain exposure and opportunities in your space – you sound well qualified and very experienced.
    Their website is here: https://www.pethomestay.com/

Best,
    Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.