Home Forums Starting your journey Domain .com.au Name issue with .com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vilson
    • Total posts: 184

Hi All,

I am thinking to start company and Buy .com.au Domain in Australia with generic two word..But I just noticed that similar company and concept already in USA with .com domain..

Example

onlineshopping.com Already in USA Selling Online Stuff and They have Trademark too…

So can i start Business in Australia with Below Domains and sell Online Stuff?

shoppingonline.com.au or onlineshopping.com.au

Thanks in Advance..
    Vilson

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485

I have no idea about the copywrite issues or legality of having a similar name.

But my question is do you want it, you will put a lot of effort into advertising it, and if people accidently leave off the .au, they are directed to what is another legitimate business, so you are advertising for someone else. plus if they get a bad name, you wear some of it as well. Just a thought

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,142

There are 2 issues to sort out in your mind.

The first is the legal issue – this is best saved for actual lawyers expert in the field.

The second is can you?

The answer is probably yes however so much depends on who owns the existing overseas domain and whether they would be willing to challenge you – now and into the future.

The biggest risk would be to build a business and brand name and then be challenged after all of the dollars and effort you put in to build the business.

The very short answer is that it is very risky.

kassa
    • Total posts: 3

its best to go for an unique domain.. as Paul suggested its going to be hard with SEO etc… and they might bring legal team against you…. keep the .com.au domain and redirect to your new domain. so you will get people who wants the Australian site…

or setup a small site and create a link to your new brand..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.