Home – New Forums Tech talk domain/email address then website? URGENT HELP PLS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    brunettesrule
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi, I have my abn/acn now in place. I now want to get a website and domain name up and running (.com.au) with a email address to match.

I am sitting here almost about to buy through crazy domains a domain name and email address.

I know the domain name is not a website but your http://www.whatever.com.au. Do crazy domains build your website for a price or do I do it?

Has any found crazydomains for domain name, email addy and website good?

Would love some quotes from other soloists about designing my website.

$10/$12 per year for a domain name is pretty good and 50C for one email address.

Can I buy now the domain name and email address and build the website later?

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up

Hi Jane,

Congrats on your new business. What is it you do? :)

Quote:
    I know the domain name is not a website but your http://www.whatever.com.au. Do crazy domains build your website for a price or do I do it?

I’ve never used crazy domains, but AFAIK they don’t offer web design services, nor would I engage them to do a website for me if they did as their main business is domains.

Getting a website up would depend on your budget really. If your budget is low, you could make use of content management systems such as WordPress and free templates and come up with an ad hoc website; or if you have budgeted some cash for a professional website than you would engage the services of a web designer/developer (shameless plug: like myself). ;)

Quote:
    Has any found crazydomains for domain name, email addy and website good?

There has been mixed reviews for CD on this forums, some love them and others not so much.

Quote:
    $10/$12 per year for a domain name is pretty good and 50C for one email address.

You setup your email through your web host generally; only reason you would setup an email via CD is if you didn’t have a website running yet and your DNS was still pointed at CD. Sorry if that sounded too technical.

Quote:
    Can I buy now the domain name and email address and build the website later?

Definitely! :)

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Yeah crazy domains is a domain/web hosting company, if they’re trying to offer web design services too I would stay well away from it.

Condor is right, usually after your web hosting is setup, then you get your email address setup, and it doesn’t cost anything.

Your web hosting will then be ready and waiting to receive a web site whenever you’re ready to put one up. From memory crazy domains hosting is about $40 per year I think, can’t quite remember.

brunettesrule
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Hi CondorCreative

My business is to do with the shopfitting industry.

Thanks for the advice. Have read through CD’s website a bit more. To buy a domain name (.com.au) for 2 years and an email address for 2 years and web hosting for 2 years is $90 for 2 years. As I am just setting up a business (and probably too over excited..lol) I do have other expenses still to fork out (p/liability and workcover). Have already registered and paid for an ACN/ABN/GST & PAYG and employed a friendly tax accountant.

Do you think this is a good idea to grab this for $90 and then someone else (what do you charge) to design a website. Don’t have a budget for this, will just decide on price. I need to be able to add and alter the website from home as my business grows. I don’t like CD’s web building prices, one page is cheap and 10 pages is too expensive and there is nothing in between.

I don’t know about Word Press at all. Looking at their website, but am having trouble working out who much it will cost me for all of the above plus website. I have only looked at google and yahoo’s free ones, and not impressed by them.

Can I link a website (free or designed by a professional) to the CD package above?

Would love some help from you.

Jayne

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I would suggest http://www.theblogdesigner.com.au. They created my website.

Ytelco
    • Total posts: 116
    Up

Hi Jayne.

As you have your ABN etc, it would be a good idea to order your domain name ASAP to prevent anyone else taking it from under your nose. It doesn’t need to be ‘live’ until you’re ready (within your registration period).

Most services are essentially the same although some might charge extra for DNS control. DNS allows you to change where your domain points to and is handy if your website is being hosted somewhere else (or you change hosts at a later date).

Web design prices can vary a lot and. Have a think about what you want your website to do. Do you want an online ‘brochure’ with basic information? Do you want an online store? etc. Keep in mind that you often get what you pay for here and some of the cheaper options look exactly that… cheap!

Consider other sites on the web that you like. Show them to your designer and ask for a quote. Alternatively, many sites contain a link to their designer on the page. You could speak with them (although it would be good to support one of the Flying Solo designers!).

Good Luck!

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up

Hello Jayne,

Just some helpful advice for when you are choosing a web hosting plan. You will want to look for the following criteria:

* If you are targeting the Australian market, stick with Australian hosting. US hosting will be considerably cheaper than Australian hosting, but your goal is to provide the best user experience for visitors browsing your website.

* There are so many different types of hosting out there, what plan do I choose? For most businesses, shared hosting will be adequate.

* Stay far away from “unlimited” disk space and/or bandwidth offers. These web hosts are most likely to be overselling their server resources.

* What about uptime? Well uptime is quite important to keep in mind. I would recommend looking for a 99.9%+ guaranteed uptime on a shared hosting plan.

* Look at a web host that offers backups. Do they run backups daily, weekly or monthly? This is something to look out for.

* What is this 24/7 customer support? 24/7 customer support is common to be offered by nearly all web hosts out there but then again, this can be another marketing gimmick. For example, you send the web host a support ticket at 3am in the morning but you might not get a response until a few hours later.

* Lastly, does the web host offer a SLA (Service Level Agreement)? You will want an SLA which outlines the minimum service guarantee. If the minimum service guarantee is broken, then you should be entitled to some form of credit/compensation.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers,
    Shaun

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jayne,

You may benefit from reading some of our contributor David Moore’s ‘Websites 101’ articles. You’ll find a list of them at this link:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/member/36106/contributor

Good luck,
    Jayne

BrettM33
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,372
    Up
    Quote:
    Do you think this is a good idea to grab this for $90 and then someone else (what do you charge) to design a website. Don’t have a budget for this, will just decide on price. I need to be able to add and alter the website from home as my business grows. I don’t like CD’s web building prices, one page is cheap and 10 pages is too expensive and there is nothing in between.

There is nothing that says you have to get your domain reg and hosting from the same place :)

I was doing a quick check around on how CD hosting was, didn’t find a whole deal about their hosting…. just found a lot of negative posts about them as a whole; but again…. some people like them.

I personally have my domain regged through http://www.ziphosting.com.au and they have been fine – though I did reg it through them when they were Hostess / before they merged with ZipHosting.

For hosting why not give Shaun (NetOrigin) some business; I’m sure he will look after you. :)

As per my PM though, I am always happy to assist my clients with all this type of stuff.

Oh and lastly…… I checked out CD’s web design offering and noticed they charge you MONTHLY!? That’s VERY dodgy IMO; why? Well firstly who wants ongoing costs when you can pay a designer for the job once and be done with it? Secondly, what happens if you want to pack up shop and move to another host? Can you take the design with you or do they retain copyright of it? Just seems like a sly way of keeping you with them.

Quote:
    I don’t know about Word Press at all. Looking at their website, but am having trouble working out who much it will cost me for all of the above plus website. I have only looked at google and yahoo’s free ones, and not impressed by them.

WordPress is more or less a CMS (Content Management System); so if you would like to be able to update parts of your website yourself something like WP comes in handy. :) If you do go with a custom design however and not a WP pre-built theme then your custom design will have to be integrated within WP; which may or may not be within your budget.

Quote:
    Can I link a website (free or designed by a professional) to the CD package above?

Yes you can. :)

MrSmithers
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

Hi,

Why would you want a website for your business? What would you like to achieve with a website? If the answer is to promote your business then you need to have a budget. Doesn’t have to be a big one but you need to do more then think about securing ‘a good deal’.

How would you present yourself to the world to promote your business? Well your website should emulate this. You could pay a hobo $1 to stand in front of your shop to promote your business but it wouldn’t look good.

Have fun creating.

BoostMyBusiness
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Jane

Sent you a PM just now. Please have a look.

Cheers

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

If you are targeting the Australian market, stick with Australian hosting. US hosting will be considerably cheaper than Australian hosting, but your goal is to provide the best user experience for visitors browsing your website.

I nhave hosted in the USA for nearly a decade. To make the above comment is kinda crazy and bears no evidence in fact. The reason I went offshore is that at the time most local providers were crap. In fact some of my clients now who have AU hosting, makes me cringe at the pricing and lack of 24hr support.

But back to the original post….sounds like you need to do a lot of reading yourself. The questions asked are sooo broad that a couple of hours reading will place you in a position where you can ask more specific questions and have some understanding of the terminology used.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.