Home – New Forums Tech talk Domain Extenions – advice on choice!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SuMo
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    ::

Hi there,
    I’m looking to start up a virtual assistant business and have to decide on my domain name.

Let’s say the biz is called XYZ Business Support. Regarding .com.au:

– xyz.com.au is taken.
    – xyzbusiness.com.au is fine.
    – I don’t like xyzbusinesssupport.com.au because of the triple S in the domain.

Alternatively:
    Is xyz.biz a valid choice?
    Or xyz.net.au?
    I understand that Australian customers like the reassurance of a proper .com.au extension, but was wondering about .biz seeing as that would be in my business name…. Although I don’t see .biz used much.

Any advice or opinions would be most welcome!
    Thank you.

SentinelInfoSec
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

There’s certainly nothing technically wrong with .biz names – they will work just fine. The only issue is, as you point out, due to their being relatively uncommon, some people may think the address is wrong and not type it in properly (or add a .com to the end). Not an issue if they just click on it though.

Although technically intended for internet related businesses, .net.au domains can be registered and used by any Australian business (same rules apply as for .com.au).

I’m not sure that Australians are necessarily put off by the absence of a ‘.au’ at the end of the domain, and a domain with no country code certainly helps if you want to start selling overseas (unless being Australian is part of your selling point!)

If your business name is unavailable, abbreviations and variants are fine, so long as it is obviously derived from your business name (a requirement for .com.au and .net.au domains) and doesn’t make the domain excessively long or a tongue-twister (practical consideration, remember you will sometimes be telling someone your web address over the phone!).

Cheers,

Michael

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

Hi there,

Easy choice for me: xyzbusiness.com.au

Easy to say, easy to remember, easy to spell.

Here’s a very brief blog post that I think outlines everything you need to know, and leaves out all the balony.

How to Choose a Killer Domain Name

Good luck!

SuMo
    Up

Thank you both so much for your input. It’s much appreciated.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi,

The only point I would add to this is to ask whether the existence of xyz.com.au is going to confuse your customers? Is it a business that is related in any way to what you will be offering, or are people accidentally going there (based on your business name) going to realise quickly that it’s not you?

Kathy

SuMo
    Up

I’ve just found this good article which has helped clarify things, namely that .biz is seen as a bit spammy. Just read a couple of other articles saying a similar thing.
    I think I’ll stick with a .com.au of some sort!
    http://blog.hubspot.com/insiders/how-to-pick-a-domain-extension

Craig_Longmuir
    • Total posts: 556
    Up

depending on how long the xyz is id probably go with the xyzbusiness.com.au

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    PerfectNotes-Kathy, post: 189485 wrote:
    Hi,

The only point I would add to this is to ask whether the existence of xyz.com.au is going to confuse your customers? Is it a business that is related in any way to what you will be offering, or are people accidentally going there (based on your business name) going to realise quickly that it’s not you?

Kathy
    This would be the question I’d be most concerned with too. I’d rather have a new name altogether than the name of another business.

bees
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

I prefer .com.au, and I’d stear clear of anything that had the same name. Adding ‘business’ to the domain isn’t going to stop people seeing your marketing material and going to the wrong business. You haven’t said yet…is it a related business?

I still prefer .com.au and it took ages to work out my domains to ensure I had business name registration, facebook page/twitter name, domains all lined up before I registered any of them.

If there is already someone with yourname.com.au, would it be possible to consider another name that someone doesn’t have? You might run into problems with emails, social media etc if the domains are too similar.

SuMo
    Up

Mine would be a VA business, a sole trader, called XYZ Business Support.

The XYZ is a one-word noun, and my services are totally unrelated to the company who already has xyz.com.au. I don’t think there could possibly be any confusion! I wouldn’t be thinking of using it if it was in any way similar to a like-business.

Thank you all.

Lucid Web Design
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

There is a lot more than .com.au & .biz out there now. That world has got a whole lo bigger.

Late last year ICANN opened up the available domain names. There are now almost 900 extensions that have been released or about to be released. For example Monash University has grabbed .monash and is planning on moving from monash.edu.au to .monash

You could have xyz.guru, xyz.photography, xyz.app, xyz.associates… You could even register xyz.xyz soon :)

This is new territory, but there may or may not be something in there to suit your marketing plan.

cheers
    Derek

SuMo
    Up

Thanks Derek, I had heard of that and have been telling people (like photographers etc) that I know!
    Food for future thought. :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.