Home Forums Tech talk domain name. Do I coose .com or .com.au??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kate Summer
    • Total posts: 3

Hi just starting my own business and I realise I have a choice of domain names. Available to me is .com and .com.au! Often enough when I’m searching the internet for australian businesses, I feel that if I choose a site thats not .com.au I’m heading around the world! Whats better for business .com.or .com.au??
    Thanks,
    Kate

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569

Really depends on where your customers are located if only in Australia then .com.au would indicate an Australian based business. They’re so cheap now I’d grab both and link them both to the site anyway.

abacus
    • Total posts: 174

Agree,
    Grab both…and any others that relate to your name too :)

Domian names are so cheap and it is easy to redirect each name back to your .com.au

Back to your original question…I think the .com.au should be your “primary”site.

As a consumer I look for .com.au sites first.

Ellee
    • Total posts: 28

You can’t afford not to get both.

When I registered my .com.au a few years ago the .com was still available. Then some idiot from the Bronx registered the .com

After some time the he was receiving some of my emails because people left the .au off when typing in the url

Later the idiot from America sent me emails telling me he owned the .com.au and get my ugly looking site off the net. He also told me that he had big financial backers ready to sue me if I didn’t take my site off the net. Odd though, the registration for the .com.au is in my name. More amusing is the fact that he has never built a website for his .com still to this date. He had me stressed as he was sending horrible emails back to people who were trying to contact me.

You must register at least both and as suggested above and any other names that are close.

Amanda and Ellee

sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Ellee, post: 49105 wrote:
    After some time he was receiving some of my emails because people left the .au off when typing in the url

I’m struggling to comprehend how this can happen.(?)

Kate, it’s advisable to get both the .com and .com.au for protection sake and possibly even the .net but I wouldn’t worry too much about going all out securing them all if it’s a name that won’t be used by someone else.

katesummerbookkeeping.com.au for example you probably only need the .com.au
    katesbookkeeping.com.au get the .com and .net
    bookkeeping.com.au get every extension you can get.

wecancreate
    • Total posts: 94

I would definitely recommend getting both if you can.

It’s amazing how often visitors can accidentally mistype your web address (either by leaving off the .au, or by typing .com.au if you only have the .com address).

But if you have both registered, then you can simply have one redirect automatically to the other.

And it’s not particularly expensive to register 2 domains nowadays anyway.

mexham
    • Total posts: 304

Good advice cheers. After reading this yesterday I thought it was prudent to cover my bases and register the .com of my Australia domain. Was glad to get it as I saw the .cn (China) name had been taken already.

Not sure if we will use, but just don’t really want anyone jumping on our bandwagon.

LM
    • Total posts: 7

I’d also recommend getting both, and you can push marketing to one or the other, but use one of them as your primary (so you would redirect .com.au requests to .com, or vice versa).

I’d also recommend at least getting .net and .biz to protect your name.

If you need a mobile site (see my website) then go for a .mobi as well.

sydneyfx
    • Total posts: 61

Get both and use the .com.au for your website. Then I’d recommend redirecting the .com domain to the .com.au domain so even if users don’t add the domain, they’ll still end up on your site.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

I wrote a blog post on this very topic just last week, you might find it helpful:

How to Choose a Domain Name

Hope it helps :)

Aidan

domainregaust
    • Total posts: 10

It depends.

Do you have an ABN number?
    An ABN number is required to register a any .au name
    However you dont need an ABN number for .com

If you are an Australian business I highly recommend you register an .au name because google will see this and give your site more authoity in local search.

It’s also much better for you brand.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    domainregaust, post: 272021, member: 120606 wrote:
    It depends.

Do you have an ABN number?
    An ABN number is required to register a any .au name
    However you dont need an ABN number for .com

If you are an Australian business I highly recommend you register an .au name because google will see this and give your site more authoity in local search.

It’s also much better for you brand.

The OP hasnt logged on since September 2010, you would hope they have solved their question in the last 11 years.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.