Home – New Forums Starting your journey Domain name registration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    fredfarcle
    • Total posts: 181
    Up
    ::

It sticks in my throat a bit to say this but for non .au I’ve found Godaddy very good (everything else they do is crap), DNS hosting is included and easy to manage once you get the hang of their interface, you’ll even get a 500 meg email account for the domain name thrown in.

If you’ve never managed DNS before it can be a pain, most of the bigger apps will have a step by step, Godaddy DNS guide, including Google if you want to use Google Apps for your email etc.

For a few extra dollars you can mask the domain ownership, a fairly painless and automated process.

For .au I’ve had no problem with Crazy Domains but I find their web site a bit agricultural to use, doesn’t seem to be much in the way of online support or help files

ITDeveloper
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Original and the best http://www.melbourneit.com.au/ (might not be the cheapest though)

I’m pretty sure from memory they part own or fully own http://www.ausregistry.com.au the organisation in Australia responsible for issusing domain names

Southerngirl
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ITDeveloper, post: 70162 wrote:
    Original and the best http://www.melbourneit.com.au/ (might not be the cheapest though)

Disagree with this totally. MelbourneIT are expensive and offer bad support – they also own http://www.registerfree.com.au ($20 for 2 years) – who offer even worse support.
    Having had the frightening experience of inability of RegisterFree or MelbourneIT help me out over a domain ownership transfer (ended up with seller sending me lawyers letters and STILL no response from either company) I would not touch either with a barge pole.

Just remember that the cheap companies are great while the sun is shining (crazydomains is another) but if anything goes pear-shaped you are in the brown stuff big time. I’ve learnt from bitter experience that paying an extra $10 over 2 years for a friendly helpful support is better than saving $10 and getting your fingers burnt.
    Look for middle of the road pricing with positive reviews. – I think I’m paying $29.95 for 2 years at the moment, not the cheapest but they respond to emails almost before I’ve hit send :)

vondutch
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    Southerngirl, post: 70216 wrote:
    Disagree with this totally. MelbourneIT are expensive and offer bad support – they also own http://www.registerfree.com.au ($20 for 2 years) – who offer even worse support.
    Having had the frightening experience of inability of RegisterFree or MelbourneIT help me out over a domain ownership transfer (ended up with seller sending me lawyers letters and STILL no response from either company) I would not touch either with a barge pole.

Just remember that the cheap companies are great while the sun is shining (crazydomains is another) but if anything goes pear-shaped you are in the brown stuff big time. I’ve learnt from bitter experience that paying an extra $10 over 2 years for a friendly helpful support is better than saving $10 and getting your fingers burnt.
    Look for middle of the road pricing with positive reviews. – I think I’m paying $29.95 for 2 years at the moment, not the cheapest but they respond to emails almost before I’ve hit send :)

Thanks Southerngirl,
    I have fired off a few emails with common questions to a few companies and the only response I got so far was from NetRegistry, which was almost instantly. I am happy to pay the extra bucks and go with them.

IgniteDM
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

Id stear clear of Web City… I had to deal with them for a couple of websites that I did for my uncle.

They still hosted emails etc and at one point for no reason they just reverted the ip address for the website back to an old one. So his new website disappeared and the old one returned. Idiots. Their console doesnt allow you to control much yourself – you are relying on them making the change.

Ive used Crazy Domains with no dramas and we are also a reseller with Net Registry. So far have had no dramas.

Kittyz
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Ozhosting.com.au have been about for a long time and are pretty reputable.

ITDeveloper
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Interesting, I have never had any problem in my dealings with them, however in saying that I have also never been involved in domain name transfer

JaneB
    • Total posts: 324
    Up

Could you tell us which company this is?

vondutch
    Up

Thanks all for sharing your information & opinions. I guess one does pay more if you want reliable customer service.

I decided to go with Ziphosting as they are accredited by auDA and relatively cheap: $20.95 for 2 years. However I have chosen a .com rather than the .com.au version just because I can register it per year rather than 2 years. Also, if I ever move back to Europe, a .com will be more suitable than .com.au

As I only needed a domain name, I thought I’d go with Ziphosting. However, after signing up I’d already regretted it. I think next time I prefer to pay the extra $$ and go with a company like Netregistry as they responded almost straight away to my email queries. Their email answered all my questions very detailed. Ziphostings response took much longer and was very basic, just referring me back to the support documentation which I already had read twice. Hmmmm.

So I guess if you are new to it all, I would definitely suggest to go for a company that provide excellent support, like NetRegistry.

Netorigin
    • Total posts: 421
    Up
    vondutch, post: 70571 wrote:
    Thanks all for sharing your information & opinions. I guess one does pay more if you want reliable customer service.

I decided to go with Ziphosting as they are accredited by auDA and relatively cheap: $20.95 for 2 years. However I have chosen a .com rather than the .com.au version just because I can register it per year rather than 2 years. Also, if I ever move back to Europe, a .com will be more suitable than .com.au

As I only needed a domain name, I thought I’d go with Ziphosting. However, after signing up I’d already regretted it. I think next time I prefer to pay the extra $$ and go with a company like Netregistry as they responded almost straight away to my email queries. Their email answered all my questions very detailed. Ziphostings response took much longer and was very basic, just referring me back to the support documentation which I already had read twice. Hmmmm.

So I guess if you are new to it all, I would definitely suggest to go for a company that provide excellent support, like NetRegistry.

It looks like Netregistry and Ziphosting are the same company after all.

Shaun

vondutch
    Up

Yep…. in the same way Jetstar = Qantas….! :)

arty101
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    Couple It, post: 70000 wrote:
    Crazy Domains – cheap enough and been around for a while.

http://www.crazydomains.com.au

Wendy

I second that! I use this company for my domain and its the best!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.