Home – New Forums Tech talk Domain name registration and transfers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

I have an account at Directnic.com in the US that I bought some domain names through on behalf of someone else using their credit card (and permission of course!)

The domain names are up for renewal in March 2010 and I’d like to get them out of my account (and off Directnic I suppose) so the people can renew them themselves from now on (I actually renewed for them last year)

What is the process?

Thanks

Cheers
    Brad

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

There’s usually a domain manager to control and edit settings for your domain. You can/should also be able to change contact details, billing details etc. Im not sure what Directnic provides, but thats what is usually the case. Just change the billing details to them, they’ll have to renew them.

Or let them know, they have the option to transfer the domain names to the host of their choice.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

If you bought the domains in their names then they just have to transfer those domains to the domain manager of their choice. Normally it will be free and then they renew with their new domain manager. All they will need is the domain password.

If however you bought those domains in your own name then you will need to do a legal transfer of ownership and it might cost you (or them) money.

If they are .com only you won’t have issues if they are .com.au different story.

brunson
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Brad,

I’d say the quickest and easiest route would be to have them set up their own accounts (or you can do it for them). New accounts are free and don’t require a credit card. Then, you can “push” their domains out of your account to to their accounts. “Push” transfers are free and just require you to have their directNIC account ID and email address. They would then have full control over the domain renewal, contacts, and hosting. If you don’t have any hosting with directNIC, it’s rather quick and simple. If you have hosting, please contact support first and they can “recover” the services after the transfer.

I hope that helps,
    Michael
    directNIC.com

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Michael

Thanks for that – that’s brilliant.

I will pass this on to them – I suppose I should have contacted DirectNIC first! :)

As for you, props for excellent service from DirectNIC – for you to have found my post and given me exactly what I needed to do, that’s priceless.

Thanks very much and have a safe holiday season.

From me in sunny (and hot) Queensland, Australia…

Cheers!

Brad

PS – Thanks also to John and Jill for your advice – that’s what makes Flying Solo such a great thing to be a part of. All the best to you as well for this holiday season.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.