Home – New Forums Other discussions Domain Name sells for $125,000!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Neddy
    • Total posts: 392
    Up
    ::

An expiring Aussie domain name was sold for an Australian record price today of $125,001.

The domain name was investmentproperty.com.au; and there were 65 bids in total at Netfleet.

The buyer was a builder from the Hunter / Central Coast.

The price blew even seasoned domainers away!

http://www.dntrade.com.au/investmentproperty-com-au-t3746.html

All I can say is wow! Also, the person who previously owned the name and didn’t renew it will feel a bit ill when they find out.

Neddy
    JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Thanks for posting that Ned – amazing hey?!
    Actually plays into our services (trademark related) and just how important any ‘brand’, even when of a more generic nature can be worth a lot of money, and worth maintaining!

Neddy
    Up
    JacquiPryor, post: 90567 wrote:
    Thanks for posting that Ned – amazing hey?!
    Actually plays into our services (trademark related) and just how important any ‘brand’, even when of a more generic nature can be worth a lot of money, and worth maintaining!

Absolutely right Jacqui.

And even seasoned and experienced domain owners need to take heed! Here are some examples of domains that weren’t renewed, and then subsequently sold at auction – often to competitors!

And if you forget to renew, there is absolutely nothing you can do except try and buy it back yourself.

Hardware.com.au – Coles were previous owner; Woolworths picked it up!

Electricity.com.au

PetInsurance.com.au

Marketing.com.au

A fuller list here: http://www.dntrade.com.au/domain-sales-list-2011-t2207.html

Cheers, Ned

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

It certainly pays to keep your email address up to date within your domain registrar do you can get your notifications…

How crushing to realise that such an asset just got given to someone else. The thought turns my stomach.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

I was watching this yesterday it was sitting on $2k up until about 30 mins to go. I called my mate who is into property told him to buy it, I thought it would be worth 3 or 4k. 2 people obviously wanted it bad! It was only showing $65k when it finishes so not sure how it got to $125

Neddy
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 90632 wrote:
    It certainly pays to keep your email address up to date within your domain registrar do you can get your notifications…

How crushing to realise that such an asset just got given to someone else. The thought turns my stomach.

Absolutely right on first point.

The guy who didn’t renew it must be feeling so sick today – and I also bet he is looking for every avenue to reverse the situation. e.g. Blaming the Registrar for not sending renewal emails etc. That is human nature. But at the end of the day, I haven’t seen one of those sort of claims stick, because the onus is fairly and squarely on the Registrant (owner) to ensure he renews in time. No exceptions.

I’m not so sure it got “given” to someone else though! ;) $125,000

websitedesigner, post: 90635 wrote:
    I was watching this yesterday it was sitting on $2k up until about 30 mins to go. I called my mate who is into property told him to buy it, I thought it would be worth 3 or 4k. 2 people obviously wanted it bad! It was only showing $65k when it finishes so not sure how it got to $125

Hi Dan – it jumped in the last minute – perhaps you didn’t refresh your page? At 12.59 it had got to $75K as you can see from this thread:

http://www.dntrade.com.au/investmentproperty-com-au-t3746p3.html

Cheers, Ned

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.