Home – New Forums Tech talk Domain Names

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DanniB
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    ::

Hello
    Another from me!!

For anyone tech savvy :-)

I have found the name I want and that its available using the various domain name searches – my question is, should I buy the “add email to your domain now”?? I am not really sure how that works? Also, I am going to get the hosting package for web designers as I want someone to build my webpage for me.

Is this all sounding correct?! Sorry I am a no go with anything technical.

Also, once I have all that do I just tell my web designer (when i find one) when domains i have?

Ryinth
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

The web designer you hire may offer email as part of their hosting package (or will you be purchasing hosting as well?).

I’d wait for now – see what their prices are, you can always add with your domain register later.

DanniB
    Up

Thank you for your quick reply!

Stupid question then, I can buy/regiater the domain names without buying the hosting at this time?

On one of the website it looks as though I had to buy it there & then? but on another it didn’t – i got right through the purchasing process to see what came up!

I think I would much prefer to buy the domain names, then let a designed do the rest, as (which is very clear here) i am hopeless with this stuff!

Ryinth
    • Total posts: 75
    Up

You can absolutely buy elements (hosting, domain, email) separately and at different times.

A lot of hosting/domain registers have a lot of heavy upselling during their checkout – some offer special/combo deals; others are just showing off their product lines.

A lot of designers/developers offer hosting and email etc (I do it as part of my packages).

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

I would leave buying any web hosting and email hosting until you have spoken to your web developer about the scope and requirements of your website. There are various considerations the web developer will need to take into consideration when choosing a hosting provider e.g. performance, hardware specs, PCI compliance, reliability, traffic, concurrent users etc.

If you wanted to get your email created straight away, I would advise you to use gmail for business. It costs $5 per user per month and you will have an email address using your domain name e.g. [email protected]. There are plenty of guides online to setup your email domain dns settings.

DanniB
    Up

Thank you both so much for your replies!
    I am just going to set up a regular free @gmail account for now whilst I make my enquired, and once I work out web designer etc I’ll get all the hostings through them :)

Thanks again :)

Tracey G
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi Danni, you’ve brought up a topic that is raised frequently by website clients.

Stupid question then, I can buy/regiater the domain names without buying the hosting at this time?

Not a stupid question at all. There’s no requirement to buy a domain name and web hosting together. But for many people and businesses getting their first website, the process of acquiring these things is mystifying.

It’s a good idea to purchase the domain now. The web hosting can easily be purchased later when you’re ready, or through a web designer.

Egor K
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    DanniB, post: 211787 wrote:
    I am just going to set up a regular free @gmail account for now

Hi Danni

If you like Gmail, you can get your business email from Google. I.e. you’ll go to normal gmail as usual, but you use [email protected] (as an example) instead of [email protected] to log in – and then it’s Gmail as usual. Will only cost you $5 / month per person. It also comes with lots of very useful extras.

Pls PM if you need any assistance setting it up.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

You don’t need to pay to have your email managed via Gmail. You can receive and send using any email address on the free Gmail account. Look under: Settings > Accounts and import

And it is advisable to buy/manage your domain names with one company, with your hosting with someone else. If you ever need to change hosting you will understand why.

From previous client experience I also would not recommend having your chosen web developer provide hosting. I’ve lost track of the number of clients I’ve worked with who I could not access their site’s admin or database to extract their old website content because their previous developer went “rogue” on them after they informed them they were changing developers.

I have hosting that I have researched and recommend to my clients, and I help set it up if need be, but the hosting is in their name not mine, so they have complete access at any time. I would strongly recommend this whomever you choose as your developer.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 212324 wrote:
    You don’t need to pay to have your email managed via Gmail. You can receive and send using any email address on the free Gmail account. Look under: Settings > Accounts and import

And it is advisable to buy/manage your domain names with one company, with your hosting with someone else. If you ever need to change hosting you will understand why.

From previous client experience I also would not recommend having your chosen web developer provide hosting. I’ve lost track of the number of clients I’ve worked with who I could not access their site’s admin or database to extract their old website content because their previous developer went “rogue” on them after they informed them they were changing developers.

I have hosting that I have researched and recommend to my clients, and I help set it up if need be, but the hosting is in their name not mine, so they have complete access at any time. I would strongly recommend this whomever you choose as your developer.Thats true, but you need an POP email address first.

We run a managed WordPress host and its in our contract to that they need to host with that business. So tired of cheap slow host making me look bad lol.

I agree that the regular web person struggles with hosting. It’s hard. Most people are just resellers and that creates its own set of problems.

Cheers,

Matt

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 212324, member: 34615 wrote:

The only problem with doing it this way, is that while most people will receive email from your intended address, a few others will receive it from your free Gmail address. i.e. “Sender: “freeaddress@gmail.com on behalf of your actual address”. And then you get people replying to the wrong address and it looks unprofessional.

…unless I’m thinking about something different, or it’s changed since I used it last.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.