Home – New Forums Tech talk Domain registrar recommendations and advice for .com.au?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #987728
    GlassHalfFull
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there,
    I’ve been lurking for a few years and have finally decided to take the leap into my own online business. Onto the nitty gritty…

    At the moment, basically I have received my ABN but am still making final decisions as per my business name before I register it.

    Although my business will be entirely run through eBay at first, I plan down the line to open my own store at a .com.au address. So basically I’d like to reserve the address that I want ASAP after receiving the relevant documentation registering my business, and business name.

    Now my only issue is which domain registrar to go with. Initially I was interested in NetRegistry but have since steered away from them after seeing some very bad feedback. While I would prefer a cheaper registrar, it’s not paramount as I think having good support is a must.

    I realise that this topic is done to death but I’ve had a look at some talk on here about this subject but most threads are over two years old.

    Is there anything else I should be considering when going into this? If I’m only sitting on the domain to use it later, will I require any other extras that might be on offer?

    I would consider myself to be tech savvy but I’m new to all of this and I’m still figuring it all out.

    Ultimately beyond paying for the actual domain name – what other things should I be looking for in a registrar? And does anybody have any recommendations?

    Thank you!

    #1164083
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::

    I’m sure you’ll get plenty of other suggestions, but if all you want to do is “park” the domain for now, Godaddy is possibly OK … cheap, fast, and easy to shift it later when you work out what you’re doing.

    I wouldn’t recommend them for anything else.

    I don’t even buy domains off them now (used to), but since I don’t buy .com.au TLD’s, I have more choice of where to buy from.

    I now use DNSimple, brilliant … but no .com.au

    #1164084
    Fond Digital Agency
    Member
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    0
    ::

    Your eventual hosting provider should be your only concern. Registering with a domain name provider is, in many ways, not much different to registering your business name for trading, as you’ll (I hope, given there isn’t a single domain name provider that offers good hosting packages) only be shifting the domain away from them anyway.

    On another note, why start with eBay? You’re better off treating eBay as an extension to a dedicated online store platform, rather than the other way around. It’s really not that expensive to develop a bespoke online store, where you have complete creative and operational freedom, as well as detailed analytics scope to understand, target and develop your audience.

    #1164085
    Lindz
    Member
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    0
    ::
    Fond Digital Agency, post: 189857 wrote:
    On another note, why start with eBay? You’re better off treating eBay as an extension to a dedicated online store platform, rather than the other way around. It’s really not that expensive to develop a bespoke online store, where you have complete creative and operational freedom, as well as detailed analytics scope to understand, target and develop your audience.

    Hello Fond Digital Agency,

    Impressive website you’ve got there.

    I also like the suggestions you’ve made to Glass Half Full. Are you able to say more about what “really not that expensive” might mean in $ terms.

    All best,

    Lindsay

    #1164086
    Fond Digital Agency
    Member
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    0
    ::
    Lindz, post: 189863 wrote:
    Hello Fond Digital Agency,

    Impressive website you’ve got there.

    I also like the suggestions you’ve made to Glass Half Full. Are you able to say more about what “really not that expensive” might mean in $ terms.

    All best,

    Lindsay

    Hi Lindsay,

    Thanks for the compliment on our site :)

    Sure, we can add some detail to this, but it is a very subjective and in-depth topic, as no two clients ever want the same thing, meaning quotes always vary. In short, though, using a lean ecommerce content management system (CMS), such as OpenCart, with design-based cosmetic enhancements only (e.g. no drastic changes to registration and checkout flows etc), it is possible to get a good high quality online store live for $4-5k.

    When customisation comes into the picture, this tends to push things out to the $10k+ mark (which is where the bulk of our work lies, as we prefer larger projects) and means a heavier and more advanced platform (like Magento) is generally a better choice. Saying this, we do have one new build nearing completion at the moment and this is a fully custom OpenCart store, which will go live for $6k.

    In addition, we have a few replatformings going on, too – all are shifting from WooCommerce (basic WordPress shopping functionality) to OpenCart on very low budgets (under $4k). Granted, there is no money to be made on jobs like this, so we rely on ongoing support with content and SEO, which is where we really add value, based on a services contract model with our clients.

    #1164087
    martin.firth
    Member
    • Total posts: 259
    Up
    0
    ::

    I haven’t found a huge difference with the service that domain providers have. I don’t like Crazy Domains, because I always have to tell my clients that they need to buy something extra, like DNS.

    We sell .com.au domains, so of course I’m going to recommend my own company :D. Our domains are equally as good as most other companies out there, but the added benefit is our support. If you need help, you an drop me a line, and email, or chat with me on Skype.

    Domains

    #1164088
    GlassHalfFull
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for your suggestions, however

    Fond Digital Agency, post: 189868 wrote:
    it is possible to get a good high quality online store live for $4-5k.

    This is why I’m not starting with an online store. While I could probably raise the amount needed to build a website, I would have nothing left to purchase stock.

    I would absolutely love to start with a website (it was my initial idea) but after looking into all of the costs it just won’t be possible for me right now.

    #1164089
    GlassHalfFull
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks :)

    #1164090
    GlassHalfFull
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks,

    It doesn’t sound like it matters all that much who I go with.. Hmm!
    Also, I haven’t figured out all of this “DNS” stuff in my head. Could you help me out?

    #1164091
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    GlassHalfFull, post: 189909 wrote:
    Thanks,

    It doesn’t sound like it matters all that much who I go with.. Hmm!
    Also, I haven’t figured out all of this “DNS” stuff in my head. Could you help me out?

    A domain name is really just a unique identifier, the internet can’t spell and it isn’t clairvoyant.

    Just as you need to tell the postmaster where you live, so they can deliver your mail. The web needs to know where your address is, so other web stuff knows where you (your domain) live and can connect.

    All the above is achieved via DNS (Domain Name Server), the DNS “broadcasts” your address to the web at large. All connections to your site (and email), come via the DNS … someone types in your site address, or email address and gets a response informing the client where to look to connect.

    The DNS carries a set of “records”, there’s a lot of different possibilities for records, the main ones are where your website lives, and where your email address is hosted. (they can be completely separate). Stuff like verifying your site with Google may be set up there too.

    Some domain sellers (Godaddy is one), offer free (fully automated) DNS hosting as part of a domain purchase. Others don’t, so it means you still need to find same to get a domain working, then manipulate the records on that DNS so you’re good to go.

    Not rocket science, but very confusing until you’ve actually done it a few times (or get someone that knows how).

    I seriously underestimated the importance of DNS for a long time, and it was why I used Godaddy (it was easy to set up) … but, after falsely blaming my hosting solution for a while, I realised the DNS was crap, sometimes dead … sometimes slow.

    Which is why I use DNSimple (there’s other good ones) … DNS is their specialty, it’s all they do, and they do it brillliantly. Their support is personal, quick and well informed when you screw up too.

    Your final selection of hosting platform may influence your ultimate choice in DNS providers too.

    At the risk of getting a bit technical, if you use Cloud platforms for delivery (which I do), DNS is a little more problematic … another reason I use the service I do … they provide out of the box solutions, not available with your average service.

    As always, you’ll get what you pay for :)

    Hope that assists and hasn’t made it even more confusing.

    Cheers

    #1164092
    GlassHalfFull
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::
    estim8, post: 189916 wrote:
    A domain name is really just a unique identifier, the internet can’t spell and it isn’t clairvoyant.

    Just as you need to tell the postmaster where you live, so they can deliver your mail. The web needs to know where your address is, so other web stuff knows where you (your domain) live and can connect.

    All the above is achieved via DNS (Domain Name Server), the DNS “broadcasts” your address to the web at large. All connections to your site (and email), come via the DNS … someone types in your site address, or email address and gets a response informing the client where to look to connect.

    The DNS carries a set of “records”, there’s a lot of different possibilities for records, the main ones are where your website lives, and where your email address is hosted. (they can be completely separate). Stuff like verifying your site with Google may be set up there too.

    Some domain sellers (Godaddy is one), offer free (fully automated) DNS hosting as part of a domain purchase. Others don’t, so it means you still need to find same to get a domain working, then manipulate the records on that DNS so you’re good to go.

    Not rocket science, but very confusing until you’ve actually done it a few times (or get someone that knows how).

    I seriously underestimated the importance of DNS for a long time, and it was why I used Godaddy (it was easy to set up) … but, after falsely blaming my hosting solution for a while, I realised the DNS was crap, sometimes dead … sometimes slow.

    Which is why I use DNSimple (there’s other good ones) … DNS is their specialty, it’s all they do, and they do it brillliantly. Their support is personal, quick and well informed when you screw up too.

    Your final selection of hosting platform may influence your ultimate choice in DNS providers too.

    At the risk of getting a bit technical, if you use Cloud platforms for delivery (which I do), DNS is a little more problematic … another reason I use the service I do … they provide out of the box solutions, not available with your average service.

    As always, you’ll get what you pay for :)

    Hope that assists and hasn’t made it even more confusing.

    Cheers

    Thankyou! Sounds quite straightforward the way that you’ve explained it :)
    Am I to understand that if I’m just “parking” the domain and not really using it, that I don’t need DNS? Or should I have it anyway?

    #1164093
    Greg_M
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up
    0
    ::
    GlassHalfFull, post: 189956 wrote:
    Thankyou! Sounds quite straightforward the way that you’ve explained it :)
    Am I to understand that if I’m just “parking” the domain and not really using it, that I don’t need DNS? Or should I have it anyway?

    Strictly speaking, you don’t need DNS to just hold a domain.

    The reason I suggested Godaddy, is that I have experience with their interface, and know that most hosting solutions will have either very good tutorials, or “out of the box” solutions to move domains from there when/if you want to.

    You get the added bonus of already having your domain configured and running on their DNS (for free). If you wanted to test run, or get a basic site/email going, it’d be adequate for many situations. I just found it short of the mark for what I’m doing.

    Someone else may have a service that’s similar, and easy to use (I’m just not familiar with one).

    Good luck with it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.