Home – New Forums Starting your journey Domestic cleaning service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Yonique
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to start up a domestic cleaning business and I am a little unclear about licenses, insurance and when to get those things. Do I wait until I have jobs and employees or should I get them before hand.

Any thoughts on the situation would be really appreciated as this is my first business start up but am hard working and keen to make this successful.

If any veterans of the cleaning game want to offer advice I would love that to.

Thanks in advance and I cant wait to read your comments

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

I would strongly recommend you get insurance before you start.

The last thing you want is some machine you use blowing up and burning down a clients home and being left with the bill. Yes an extreme case, but it could happen.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Yonique,

Welcome, and congratulations on deciding to give this a go! :)

We do indeed have some wise veterans of the industry amongst us. I have my fingers crossed that someone will pop in to add to Gizmo’s advice soon.

Good luck with it all, and thanks for joining the forum,
    Jayne

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Insurance is a must have before you start.

Not a requirement, but a good selling point is for you and your staff to have a police check. Just puts you ahead of anyone who doesnt.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

What good advice you have been given so far.

In fact the Police check suggestion is brilliant, and definitely would put you in a better position than the “ordinary” domestic cleaner. No licences are required but this would be as good.

Advertise in your local newspaper, so you do not waste time and money travelling too far for work.

Letter box drops.

On all your promotional material when the Police check has been done mention it. This will catch the eye of the customer.

Use only good quality chemicals. Environmentally friendly are recommended, and they can be purchased from any major supermarket chain Oates and OzKleen are good.
    Steam mops are slower than ordinary mops and you cant use Metho with a steam mop.

Insurance is a must Product and Liability and you may need to have this insurance at $ 10 million cost around $ 700.00 per year or there abouts.

Nice uniform, shorts T/shirt with your business name on the pocket and some business cards.

I would suggest a Back Pack vacuum cleaner, as they are faster than an upright or barrel type, and if you allow two hours to clean a three/four bedroom house, you really don’t want to spend all the time vacuuming.

Shower glass is always a thankless task but there are products now available which clean the soap scum off then leave a film on the glass. “Shower Power”I think does this.

Anyway hope that gives you food for thought.

I look at this type of Cleaning as the fun cleaning, its not back breaking work, and you often end up having a coffee and chat with the customer. She then tells her friends who tell their friends and so on

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi Yonique,

wow everyone has given you some great advice already.

Getting all your ducks in a row is definitely the best suggestion – that way when you go to prospective clients (incl real estates – end of lease cleans etc) you can hand them all your paperwork and be ready to hit the ground running.

Just one piece of advice following all the domestic cleaners I have dealt with – most say they will restrict themselves to domestic cleaning, but then they invariably pick up some office cleaning as well. Make sure you work out every type of work you want to do and buy the correct insurance cover for this – I have seen too many people cover themselves for house cleaning, only to then pick up office / window / shop cleaning jobs and not be appropriately covered. A figure of $700 for $10m Liability cover was mentioned early – this is in the ballpark but the premium will depend on exactly what you do and what the insurer will and won’t cover…

Good luck with it all.

Regards,

Mark

SecElec
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Yes public liability insurance will give you peace of mind… and it would also look good in your marketing to potential customers :) well worth the cost..

w2kd
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

HI Yonique
    Good luck with it. My advice was I did try the solo path but working out the insurance legal issues and finding leads took up too much time and I wasn’t earning enough so ended up going with a profession cleaning franchises http://www.cleaningfranchises.com.au as they sorted the insurance, leads, guaranteed income and training so it was all much easier to get going.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.