Home – New Forums Logistics Domestic shipping / postage options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Vultures
    • Total posts: 58
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m just looking at my options for mailing my product out (eventually! Not quite there yet). It’s bed linen and will weigh anywhere between 2 and 5kg. Overnight service is not necessary but I am keen on delivery within 5 business days at the most.

So far I’m thinking Click and Send with Australia Post is looking viable. I’ve seen a few similar businesses combine this (or eParcel if they have the volumes) with Star Track and I’m wondering what the advantage of this is? In what situation would you need to send by courier instead of regular post? If it’s speed, why wouldn’t you just use Express Post?

Also if sending with Aus Post, do many small business owners bother with the extra $2.95 for proof of delivery (ie signature)? I personally would rather my parcels got left somewhere safe than having to make it to the Post Office to pick it up. I suspect many other people would too, but I don’t particularly want to be exposed to non-delivery claims.

As a small business, do you just forgo the signature and take the chance?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I just go for tracking, and that’s if I use Auspost or Courier.

Personally I find Aussie Posts’s signature on delivery a joke, I have paid to get stuff delivered to me and paid for signature on delivery, and had the parcel just dumped on the front door step, with no signature (items up to $1000.00), and when I complained to Ap, it was the stock standard answer of he didn’t know, yet there were bright orange stickers all over the parcel.

I tend to only use couriers on larger items, purely on a cost basis, I just use the checker for AP or the courier people and see what works.

Vultures
    Up

Thanks Bert, that’s helpful. I’m thinking I’ll go without signature and re-assess if I’m getting an unacceptable number of non-delivery claims.

The other option I was thinking is to offer two postage options:
    1) Express Post (with tracking, without signature, and I take no responsibility)
    2) Regular Post (with tracking, with signature)

That way they choose if they want to take the risk. Thoughts?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Vultures, post: 229633, member: 71697 wrote:
    Thanks Bert, that’s helpful. I’m thinking I’ll go without signature and re-assess if I’m getting an unacceptable number of non-delivery claims.

The other option I was thinking is to offer two postage options:
    1) Express Post (with tracking, without signature, and I take no responsibility)
    2) Regular Post (with tracking, with signature)

That way they choose if they want to take the risk. Thoughts?

Add a 3rd as your default, which is regular with tracking only, than give them the choice of paying the extra for the other 2, but your terms and conditions, state you don’t take responsibility above what tracking offers.

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

For smaller shipments to residential addreeses, I would stick with APO, as if no one is home, it is a much easier and cheaper process for the customer go down to Post Office and pick up.

JadeHindwood
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

You can try with the Mbe courier service, their rates are pretty good.

They partner up with most of the big players and know what is the best option for your destination. If you are delivering your products nationwide, they may help you with selecting the carrier. If you are shipping to Sydney, they may offer you option A, but if you are shipping to Perth, they will provide you with option B (if it suits you better).

Hope that helps.

Kindest Regards,
    Jade

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I ship 20-30 parcels a day with StarTrack and find them to be pretty reliable. They have a new service called fixed price premium, it’s about $9 to send a 1kg satchel or carton to any of the metro cities overnight. Surprisingly it’s cheaper than their road service to anywhere outside your home state and much cheaper than express post satchels.
    I considered eparcel but the charges were too high for outside NSW deliveries and I would have to deliver the parcels to their mail centre which is 1/2 an hr away.
    I only send with Aust post now for deliveries to Po boxes, StarTrack charge $8 to deliver to Po boxes

Vultures
    Up

Thanks Aaron and everyone contributing – really useful information coming through, keep it coming!

roxanne40
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

Just something to consider with Australian Post, you do have to physically deliver the parcels to a post office or a post box each day. If you are posting 10-20 parcels a day that can become a pain. If you factor in all costs associated with this then it starts to add up.
    A courier will come to you an pick it up.

Have you also consider a plugin for your website that will give the customers the option of how they want their goods delivered.
    There are some companies that offer this service for $49 a month, and they will provide a tracking number and label to print out for the parcel.

Food for thought.

weiyiadel
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Vultures, post: 229615, member: 71697 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’m just looking at my options for mailing my product out (eventually! Not quite there yet). It’s bed linen and will weigh anywhere between 2 and 5kg. Overnight service is not necessary but I am keen on delivery within 5 business days at the most.

So far I’m thinking Click and Send with Australia Post is looking viable. I’ve seen a few similar businesses combine this (or eParcel if they have the volumes) with Star Track and I’m wondering what the advantage of this is? In what situation would you need to send by courier instead of regular post? If it’s speed, why wouldn’t you just use Express Post?

Also if sending with Aus Post, do many small business owners bother with the extra $2.95 for proof of delivery (ie signature)? I personally would rather my parcels got left somewhere safe than having to make it to the Post Office to pick it up. I suspect many other people would too, but I don’t particularly want to be exposed to non-delivery claims.

As a small business, do you just forgo the signature and take the chance?

I have a licensed post office near Canberra. I can supply you Australia Post prepaid satchels at very competitive price,even cheaper than eParcel. Please email me at [email protected] or text 0433 439 815 and quote flyingsolo. We may be able to do some business. Thanks.

aaron.miller
    • Total posts: 117
    Up
    weiyiadel, post: 231816, member: 78857 wrote:
    I have a licensed post office near Canberra. I can supply you Australia Post prepaid satchels at very competitive price,even cheaper than eParcel. Please email me at [email protected] or text 0433 439 815 and quote flyingsolo. We may be able to do some business. Thanks.
    That wouldn’t be hard to do,
    Eparcel is so expensive once sending interstate.
    Are you suggesting you will sell them for the 10 packs + price?

Aaron

weiyiadel
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    aaron.miller, post: 231820, member: 55775 wrote:
    That wouldn’t be hard to do,
    Eparcel is so expensive once sending interstate.
    Are you suggesting you will sell them for the 10 packs + price?

Aaron

Yes, I can sell cheaper satchels if someone buy bulk and they are flat rate all around Australia

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.