Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Door knocking – is it worthwhile?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    draz
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

Is door knocking a whorthwhile option and what’s the best way to get a door knocking team? Also do you believe that by door knocking it cheapens the branding of a premium product or the product itself?

aveline
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hello again!
    I’m answering this because I’ve experienced it firsthand… If your target market are the local neighbourhood, and you’ve got a compelling and easy sales pitch ready – then yes. Otherwise no!

Recently I had someone come to my door. It doesn’t happen very often. I opened it to meet a guy from one of the local real estate agents. He introduced himself politely, asked me if I had heard about some recent sales in the area? Then he gave me a brochure with some recent sales stats. He asked me if I was a renter or home owner, and if I was in the market to buy or sell in the next 12 months? Regardless of my answers, he gave me a warm smile, said it was nice to meet me and was on his way.

It was an easy chat, quick (no more than 3 minutes), and I now know him personally. There are about 7 real estate agents within 2kms of my house. If I was in the market to buy or sell in the next 12 months, I know for sure that I will go to this guy first, because he has made such a positive impression on me.

He wasn’t pushy, he was friendly. He wasn’t SELLING a product: he was giving me information. the purpose of the house call was simply to introduce himself. I say it was a very smart way for him to market himself and his Agency, and in that example it worked.

So think about who your target market is, and the purpose of the house call.

Cheers:)
    Aveline

rjclean
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Aveline

That is great advice. The agent that approached you has now developed a rapport and as you say, the next time you are asked about recommending and agent, you’re most likely going to suggest him.

A friend of mine was offered a real estate traineeship and began doing door knocks, representing his agency rather than himself as he was not fully qualified or licensed. He approached the door knocking in exactly the same way, in order to build a future relationship. However the agency was more the “hard sell” types and wanted names and numbers to follow up. Suffice it to say, he left that agency and moved into another industry.

As you say door knocking can work, as long as its introductory, quick and to the point. As a home owner myself I hate being harassed or receiving the “hard sell”.

rj

Kestrelassist
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Draz, Door knocking is definately worthwhile.

The biggest asset we have as soloists,obviously is us! Meeting prospects face to face allows us to present ourselves and break thru the trust barrrier,as explained perfectly by Aveline.

Works really well if you have a product you can sell in an industrial estate.

Take something to leave if the prospect is busy (a folder,introductory letter,price list etc).Take note of how the prospects respond. Modify your approach depending on theirs.

Treat everyone you meet with respect,don’t assume someone’s role in a company.

Don’t forget to follow up. Make personalised notes and use them to develop a reason to call back. Six contacts before you have a customer relationship,build that relationship.

Take contact details and include on mailing or email list.

Most importantly, remember you will get knock backs , and lots of them, but don’t be apologetic in your approach. You have a ligitimate service to offer.

Good luck and go get em!!!

Alan Glasby
    http://www.kestrelbusiness.com.au

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

Great way to get instant feedback on your approach and find out why people wont buy. You can test different openings to see which works the best. You get to listen to people’s questions and get their feedback.

Live feedback like this is gold.

Its market research money can’t buy.

Steven Hudson
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

Hello Draz

Door to door selling takes a lot of time and effort, it is also very tiring. And some people can be very rude to you and you have to take that on the chin.

One thing to remember very few or if any of the people you find at home may not want or need your product today, so if the expectation is to go out and knock on a few doors and close a sale or two, my guess it will be a long day walking the pavement.

But it can work depending on what you are proposing to sell and where and when. I would suggest you do a couple of days yourself and confirm if it is doable. If it is, you will be in the best position from your own experience to put a team together and be able to train them.

Cheers

Steven

jasonm
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    Kestrelassist, post: 27655 wrote:
    but don’t be apologetic in your approach.

Hi Alan, interesting comment, do you mean that you shouldn’t start with something along the lines of “Sorry to bother you” or if someone is quite strong in their rejection that you shouldn’t make apologies.

When I get knocked back I generally thank the person for their time and go.

strategictelemarketer
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I believe each and every sales tactic has its ups and downs, advantages and disadvantages. Your approach would be like ‘cold-calling.’ Well, if you persevere and do your homework before ‘door-knocking’ then it may yield some profitable leads. Just be sure you are doing it well and properly. :)

Steven Hudson
    Up

Hello Draz

By the way what is the product you are selling and are you talking door to door domestic or door commercial/industrial premises?

The reason I ask that there are some big difference when selling door to door to comparing the both types.

Cheers

Steven

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

My tactic for door knocking is a little different.

I’m constantly out on the door meeting up with clients, checking in to see if everything is ok etc.

So what I’ll do, is if I go and see a client in a particular area – I’ll go and introduce myself to 1-2 business on either side of the client. Just a simple …

“Hello, My name is Jake. I was just organising some printing for …. next door, so I thought I might pop in and introduce myself.”

I find it normally works well, as most shop owners know their neighbors and think “Oh, wow ____ is using this guy so I might give it a go!”

Steven Hudson
    Up

Jake

Good system…..also something very simular is called 5 aside, 1 each side how you described Jake and the three across the road…assuming there are building around your call.

The ice breaker and creating some common ground is “I was just next door visiting one of our satisfied customers etc.

The thing is, regardless of what you call it, whether you decide to call on one or two potential customers or the entire street you are visiting, it is having the plan and mind set to do some cold calling on a regular basis.

There is no doubt calling on businesses is very different to call on domestic premises the objectives and desired outcomes are different. But it is all part of the sales process and it is called prospecting.

Cheers

Steven

Dream Group
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    Emroy, post: 28620 wrote:
    My tactic for door knocking is a little different.

I’m constantly out on the door meeting up with clients, checking in to see if everything is ok etc.

So what I’ll do, is if I go and see a client in a particular area – I’ll go and introduce myself to 1-2 business on either side of the client. Just a simple …

“Hello, My name is Jake. I was just organising some printing for …. next door, so I thought I might pop in and introduce myself.”

I find it normally works well, as most shop owners know their neighbors and think “Oh, wow ____ is using this guy so I might give it a go!”

Hi Jake,

I do exactly the same thing. Except I try and do more than 1-2 :P
    I find it an effective method as I’m always out and about.
    But it obviously depends on what you are trying to market.

Regards
    Warren

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.