Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Door knocking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Gordan
    • Total posts: 119
    Up
    ::

Hi,

We have recently started our business, and our most successful marketing strategy has been door knocking to businesses in the local area. Our business is in the field of IT. We have picked up a number of customers just by simply approaching them and asking if they needed our help.

I would just like to know if anyone else has had good experiences with door knocking and offering their services to potential customers? Also any tips you can share?

Gordan

inxpress111
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I too have found success in going door to door – I use a number of ways to get business but find that the most success is meeting people face to face. Its a numbers game but you can get in the right place at the right time, also I have always asked for a business card and emailed them within the next few days thanking them for talking to me and giving them more information about my service.

A lot of people are very wary about doing business over the phone with someone they haven’t met – that one on one contact can do the deal – don’t be surprised to receive a phone call from someone you door called a few months down the track.

Well done for showing the initiative – it can be hard – especially when it is hot and humid out but it does work – the hardest door will always be your own front door.

inxpress111
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

I too have found success in going door to door – I use a number of ways to get business but find that the most success is meeting people face to face. Its a numbers game but you can get in the right place at the right time, also I have always asked for a business card and emailed them within the next few days thanking them for talking to me and giving them more information about my service.

A lot of people are very wary about doing business over the phone with someone they haven’t met – that one on one contact can do the deal – don’t be surprised to receive a phone call from someone you door called a few months down the track.

Well done for showing the initiative – it can be hard – especially when it is hot and humid out but it does work – the hardest door will always be your own front door.

Gordan
    Up
    inxpress111, post: 114726 wrote:

Completely agree there. I have tried cold-calling as well, but that just doesnt seem to work for me. However when door knocking, people almost feel obliged to at least take your flyer and be nice to you since you are right in front of them, not on the phone.

The first few times I went door knocking it was a bit awkward, but after a few days of doing it, its not too hard at all. And best of all, you find out EXACTLY what your market wants from you and how to market to them properly in the future.

Gordan
    Up
    inxpress111, post: 114726 wrote:

Completely agree there. I have tried cold-calling as well, but that just doesnt seem to work for me. However when door knocking, people almost feel obliged to at least take your flyer and be nice to you since you are right in front of them, not on the phone.

The first few times I went door knocking it was a bit awkward, but after a few days of doing it, its not too hard at all. And best of all, you find out EXACTLY what your market wants from you and how to market to them properly in the future.

Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I really like this idea, and think that a “meet and greet” can be very effective, and am planning on doing something along those lines myself. Can I ask how you handled situations where you walked into a reception area, and were unable to see decision makers?

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Calcul8or
    Participant
    • Total posts: 481
    Up

I really like this idea, and think that a “meet and greet” can be very effective, and am planning on doing something along those lines myself. Can I ask how you handled situations where you walked into a reception area, and were unable to see decision makers?

Programmer. Analyst. Nerd. Calcul8ors.com.au Custom Software & Collaboration
    Gordan
    Up
    Calcul8or, post: 114742 wrote:

Well since we are offering IT Services to businesses, I generally walk into the reception area and just introduce myself and ask if they are happy with their current IT company, if they are doing a good job etc. Generally if they dont seem too interested I ask if its possible to speak with the manager when they have time, sometimes they say a blank “no” and sometimes they give you the managers business card to call them and organise a meeting etc.

Basically, know your products and services, walk in well dressed and confident and dont be afraid of having a laugh or a joke around with the receptionist, this usually eliminates the awkwardness of the situation and they open up a little bit more and are willing to hear you out.

Gordan
    Up
    Calcul8or, post: 114742 wrote:

Well since we are offering IT Services to businesses, I generally walk into the reception area and just introduce myself and ask if they are happy with their current IT company, if they are doing a good job etc. Generally if they dont seem too interested I ask if its possible to speak with the manager when they have time, sometimes they say a blank “no” and sometimes they give you the managers business card to call them and organise a meeting etc.

Basically, know your products and services, walk in well dressed and confident and dont be afraid of having a laugh or a joke around with the receptionist, this usually eliminates the awkwardness of the situation and they open up a little bit more and are willing to hear you out.

createdevelop
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

There is a great book called “Cold calling for Cowards” and it talks about how door knocking and cold calling should never actually be cold. You can promote yourself in an area, then send flyers, then call.

Once we even took coffee and cakes around to everyone in a building, along with one of our client’s brochures.

createdevelop
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

There is a great book called “Cold calling for Cowards” and it talks about how door knocking and cold calling should never actually be cold. You can promote yourself in an area, then send flyers, then call.

Once we even took coffee and cakes around to everyone in a building, along with one of our client’s brochures.

Gordan
    Up
    createdevelop, post: 114807 wrote:

Thats not a bad idea…lure them with some good food :D might use that one myself!

Gordan
    Up
    createdevelop, post: 114807 wrote:

Thats not a bad idea…lure them with some good food :D might use that one myself!

TRexteriorclean
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Door knocking to follow up a flyer drop is a good idea never thought of that.

TRexteriorclean
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Door knocking to follow up a flyer drop is a good idea never thought of that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.