Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Dress to expectations or dress to impress?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::

I had this conversation with my wife the other night.

When I go to meetings, I always dress to my clients expectations. Given that I’m a “computer geek”, that means jeans, t-shirt and a tablet under my arm.
    My wife thinks I should wear my smart suit, but I think this smells of ‘sales man’ rather than ‘worker’.

I used to work for marketing companies and they always made me dress down for client meetings.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Safe Skies
    • Total posts: 202
    Up

I think you should dress how you feel comfortable as long. You do not look scruffy, even if you wear a suit that will disturbed some and if you wear jeans you will effend others, just make sure you blow them away with what you do and say and not what you look like.

G

Cooke Consulting
    • Total posts: 122
    Up

It really depends on what your business is and your personal approach.

As much as I’d love to turn up in a pair of jeans, sneakers and one of my Blighty ‘Keep Calm & Carry On” shirts, I don’t think it would go down that well with my clients when I’m teaching them how to improve their debt collection rates. :D

ojwebdesign
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

dress in a suit and blow them away with what you have to offer.

AdvancedPetSitting
    • Total posts: 357
    Up

I absolutely agree with James. Your dress code should depend on the business you are in. For example I work with pets all day so I don’t dress the same way I would if I was working in an office environment. I think that jeans and a t-shirt is fine for a “computer geek”

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

I think it’s nice to match the environment that you’re visiting or just a little nicer. If your customers wear suits and ties, then you will fit in best in a suit and tie. If they wear polo shirts and jeans, then you should wear polo shirts and jeans or a nice casual shirt and slacks.

Most customers won’t care what you’re wearing when you’re there doing the work for them, but it might affect whether they refer you to their colleagues or bring you in to advise their board during a meeting etc.

The most important thing is that whatever you wear is clean and tidy and your attitude is professional. Just because you’re wearing the same things you would wear to the footy, doesn’t mean you can behave the same way!

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

I think it should be a combination of what your clients expect and what fits in with your job. Obviously people expect “creatives” like designers, writers… and, by extension… “computer geeks” to be more casual or eccentric in their dress sense (perhaps because computers are still seen to be a “young” person’s thing?)… but you should still be well-presented if your clients are the suit & tie brigade.

There are certainly two ways of wearing jeans and t-shirts. One can look like you’ve just crawled out of bed, the other can look like you’ve just stepped out of a catalogue. It comes down to styling, shoes, and grooming. You can always dress up jeans and a t-shirt with a slick suit jacket and a funky pair of shoes.

Personally I’d rather err on the side of over-dressing than under-dressing, but either way it’s still possible to maintain your own sense of style.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 127655 wrote:
    I used to work for marketing companies and they always made me dress down for client meetings.

I think as a general rule of thumb your dress code should be comparable to how much you are charging.
    Of course there are exceptions like your example, my guess is that you were the technical expert and they asked you to dress down to match the super geek image.

If I were you I would listen to my wife.

Steve

Gordon Akman
    • Total posts: 229
    Up

I agree with your thinking. It depends on your profession and the venue. If it’s an office environment definitely rock the suit. In our climate wearing a two piece suit with no tie is fine (I have also noticed many big time businessmen in New York and elsewhere have also ditched the tie now which I agree with particularly if you are a boss/have a role with a lot of autonomy etc). If you are say meeting a small business person outside of an office environment, depending on the client/nature of their business/context of the meeting etc, jeans and t-shirt are fine imo (and probably better suited as you have discovered yourself).

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Just dress with clothes your comfortable in while thinking of what or where are you dressing for. You must first impress yourself seconded by others expectation.

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

Personally speaking pre-engagement or initial meeting, will go smart casual.

After that and results have been delivered, my clients will see me in shorts and thongs more often than not.

In saying that I know it’s not the norm, however I made a lifestyle choice a few years back and live by those choices now.

The results I deliver my clients is usually enough for them not to care if I turned up naked. ;)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Just be yourself. Simple as that to be honest.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Not all of you may know who Rob Nixon is – especially if you don’t happen to be in accounting circles – but he’s kind of the “Tony Robbins” of the accounting world.

I had the opportunity to meet Rob at an accounting firm I used to work for and expected the whole suit & tie, button-down thing, but in breezes Rob in jeans, snazzy boots, shirt (no tie) and a funky jacket of a sort of two-tone metallic fabric. Very cool!

And not at all what I expected, but he still looked a million dollars and wowed us with his presentation. The whole look was casual and relaxed, but still sharp as a tack!

Given his audience – accountants – it may be easy to assume that wearing jeans and no tie would be a big no no… but with the right flair and a solid performance, it just goes to show that the whole suit & tie thing may be overrated!

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 127822 wrote:
    And not at all what I expected, but he still looked a million dollars and wowed us with his presentation. The whole look was casual and relaxed, but still sharp as a tack!

Reminds me of Bill Gates & Steve Jobs.

Gates – always in a suit but somehow never looks smart
    Jobs – jeans and polo necks and always looked smart

Lena
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

It’s more professional to dress depending on the occasion. Just follow your wife on this one, it won’t do you any harm ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.