Home – New Forums Get productive Drop Box – great tool!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    traceynewman
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

I thought I’d share a great new website that I came across recently, which is http://www.dropbox.com

If you are looking for a free or cost effective to keep an online backup of all of your files, this is a site to consider. It also enables two users to share a file in the “cloud”. You can access your files at anytime via this internet site.

Another great feature is the ability to keep your files syncronized over a number of computers you may be using during your working week.

Drop Box gives each new user 2Gig of space to use and is surprisingly easy to use.

I hope this helps out our forum members who have the need to share files with clients and are worried about backup issues.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Sounds like a good service – Only thing is, I always wonder how secure your files are on these services?

I couldn’t see a privacy policy not any information about the security of their systems.

– Jake

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

I have been using it for a few months now and I love it. It has made the task of moving MYOB files around a thing of the past.

I can’t do without it now.

ScottD
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

yep Dropbox is great, the best feature is how it automatically synchronises between computers. I have 2 computers and switch regularly without worrying about my files :)

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

I’ve been using Dropbox for a couple of months and it’s fantastic. I’m using it for backups and also to coordinate files between people. Fantastic tool.

digital.hybrid
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

As an online services provider, I reckon anyone who backs up their files offshore is out of their minds.

Sure, you can do your backups quite a bit cheaper offshore, but under what privacy laws are you storing your information?

The benefit of Australian businesses and users storing their data within Australian borders is that all data is therefore governed by Australia’s stringent privacy laws. It’s because of similar laws and controls that the Australian banking system didn’t melt down during the global financial crisis. Aren’t you glad your money is that safe when people in the US lost almost everything? If so, why would you trust your precious data to an environment outside those kinds of safeguards?

As an online services provider, while I can see benefits in “the cloud”, I don’t believe the storage and privacy of mission critial documents, data and company I.P. should be trusted to it, because you have no control or knowledge of where your data is actually being stored, and if it’s lost, what recourse do you have?

It’s for these reasons that we intend adding an all-Australian offsite/online backup and storage service to our suite of web-based services before the end of the year. We believe in supporting Austalian SMEs, and we see that protection of their data is one area of support we need to make sure we provide.

Kerry

crisp
    • Total posts: 6
    Up

I too have been using Drop Box for a couple of months. It not only means you can get to your data from any computer with an internet connection, but it also provides me with a backup if my old and fragile computer finally give up the goat.

Jessica Somerville
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Hi Everyone,

Just to re-iterate the above, I have recently begun using Drop box and agree it is a great tool especially sharing files. I am a Virtual Assistant and it is exceptionally easy to share files with my clients and make updates without the use of email. An efficient and effective tool and I highly recommend it – especially with no cost involved.

Kind Regards
    Jessica Somerville
    Jessica Virtual Assistant
    http://www.jessicavirtualassistant.com.au

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up

Another solution we recommend is evernote. Our practice has been completely paperless for about four years now and we have previously used MS onenote to create a wide range of scrap book type notes. These comprise audio, text and in some cases pictures and handwritten notes. In the last few weeks we have been experimenting with evernote and it’s cloud based integration is seamless. We have been using it across a combination of our desktop pc’s, web access, iPhones and Ipads and all have worked pretty well together. The base version is free and it offers about 80% of the functionality of the paid version. Highly recommended for those after universal and inexpensive access to records of all types.

Ps for the cloud based file management there is also google docs (free) and MobileMe (about $100 per annum). FYI The Ipad is actually far more useful as a business tool than we expected and it integrates pretty well with both of these cloud solutions. I think microsoft just announced that office 2010 will be heavily focused on cloud operation.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    IgniteDM
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

Ive been using Google Docs for about a year now, and found it invaluable many times. Not only can I access docs on the go – but I can create them as well.

I did try Evernote as well for a while but found the setup/layout just didnt mesh with the way I work.

Now that Ive just switched to a Mac, Ive started using MobileMe and found it pretty handy. Whether Ill give up Google Docs and switch completely to MobileMe remains to be seen.

Seeing as I jump between my Mac and about 3 other computers (the joys of multiple offices!) some sort of secure portal to access all my documents is essential. Ill check out this Drop Box thing, because if its as many above have mentioned, and it syncs changes between docs, that could be especially handy. Drives me nuts having multiple versions of documents across a home pc, 2 work servers and a laptop !

brayhart
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I’m also using this to store files..
    great site!

Raky
    • Total posts: 56
    Up

Love it, use it, will always recommend it!

http://web.appstorm.net/general/giveaway/15-awesome-dropbox-tips-and-tricks-with-100-credit-giveaway/

The link above is worth a look if you’re using DropBox and are curious about the cool things you can do with it.

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

Another vote for DropBox!

It’s totally revolutionised our backup practices. As web designers, we rarely work with truly large files. Only for our occasional print work do we need to change our backup methods.

Here’s how our setup works.

My wife and I (partners in our business) use one account on our main work machines, both of which are laptops. All of our workproduct is stored in DropBox.

We also have an always-on desktop machine at home that runs Time Machine, Apple’s built-in backup software. It constantly backs-up the DropBox folder to a local RAID server: essentially a small box attached to the network that contains four drives. All drives are linked together in a way (RAID 5) that means that if one drive dies, it can be replaced and the data rebuilt from the remaining three.

In this way we have two version-control points: DropBox and TimeMachine and both remote and local backup. Even if we deleted our entire DropBox by accident, TimeMachine would retain a previous version we could roll back to, which would be seeded our to our laptops.

It’s a truly liberating way of working!

As a previous poster mentioned, Evernote is also awesome. My wife uses it to update our shopping list. While I’m doing the shopping. :D

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up
    kbrookes, post: 43222 wrote:
    Another vote for DropBox!

It’s totally revolutionised our backup practices. As web designers, we rarely work with truly large files. Only for our occasional print work do we need to change our backup methods.

Here’s how our setup works.

My wife and I (partners in our business) use one account on our main work machines, both of which are laptops. All of our workproduct is stored in DropBox.

We also have an always-on desktop machine at home that runs Time Machine, Apple’s built-in backup software. It constantly backs-up the DropBox folder to a local RAID server: essentially a small box attached to the network that contains four drives. All drives are linked together in a way (RAID 5) that means that if one drive dies, it can be replaced and the data rebuilt from the remaining three.

In this way we have two version-control points: DropBox and TimeMachine and both remote and local backup. Even if we deleted our entire DropBox by accident, TimeMachine would retain a previous version we could roll back to, which would be seeded our to our laptops.

It’s a truly liberating way of working!

As a previous poster mentioned, Evernote is also awesome. My wife uses it to update our shopping list. While I’m doing the shopping. :D

I also use dropbox – partly for backups but also for sharing files with employees across different locations we can instantly sync and share files and backup documents.

Cheers

Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.