Home – New Forums Tech talk dumb Dropbox question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Normanby
    • Total posts: 194
    Up
    ::

Met with a prospective new client today, tried to sell him on Xero but he was having none of it. He’d paid for MYOB and he was damn well going to stick with it no matter what!
    Both he and I have Dropbox, and he wants to do the payroll entries himself, but have my bookkeeper(s) do the remainder of the data entry, off site.
    So if he’s already dragged-and-dropped the MYOB file into the Dropbox icon on his desktop, and allowed me to share it, does that mean that we can both work on it independently and our respective ‘copies’ of it will be identical?
    I presume that we can’t all work on it at the same time, but if he does his weekly payroll entries on, say, a Thursday, and my bookkeeper does the rest at the end of each month (but not on a Thursday) – will the MYOB file on his computer have the bookkeeper’s data entry in it?

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    If you need the file locking feature, you’re better off with Box (http://www.box.com). But it is not free if you want to use its desktop sync software.

Nothing to do with the topic (sorry) but that domain has to be worth a bundle! I know the guy that owns coffee.com.au and he’s had offers that he could almost retire on.

Indo
    • Total posts: 59
    Up
    eStrategyPro.com, post: 0 wrote:
    If you need the file locking feature, you’re better off with Box (http://www.box.com). But it is not free if you want to use its desktop sync software.

Nothing to do with the topic (sorry) but that domain has to be worth a bundle! I know the guy that owns coffee.com.au and he’s had offers that he could almost retire on.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

1. Tell him to throw MYOB in the bin and sign up for Xero. He note only wasted his money buying it, he wastes it continually by working with it’s inefficiencies including this one.
    2. Dropbox is fully awesome, however its main weakness is collaboration. If you both modify the file it will re-name the file (modified by Dan etc) and you will have 2 files, very bad particularly for an accounting file.

This really is an example of where having your data in the cloud is so good. The idea of having all of your accounting info in one file that only one person can modify at a time is dated and he needs to move on – refer to point 1.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

1. Tell him to throw MYOB in the bin and sign up for Xero. He note only wasted his money buying it, he wastes it continually by working with it’s inefficiencies including this one.
    2. Dropbox is fully awesome, however its main weakness is collaboration. If you both modify the file it will re-name the file (modified by Dan etc) and you will have 2 files, very bad particularly for an accounting file.

This really is an example of where having your data in the cloud is so good. The idea of having all of your accounting info in one file that only one person can modify at a time is dated and he needs to move on – refer to point 1.

Normanby
    Up

I know I know, I begged and pleaded and cajoled and threatened, but like I said in my post, he won’t budge from MYOB.
    And I wanna help him, I like his restaurant.
    I’ve been a Xero evangelist for two years now, so you needn’t sell me on the concept.
    That’s why I called this topic “dumb Dropbox question”.
    The keen observer will notice that I didn’t call the topic “please tell me what I already know”.
    Matt

Normanby
    Up

I know I know, I begged and pleaded and cajoled and threatened, but like I said in my post, he won’t budge from MYOB.
    And I wanna help him, I like his restaurant.
    I’ve been a Xero evangelist for two years now, so you needn’t sell me on the concept.
    That’s why I called this topic “dumb Dropbox question”.
    The keen observer will notice that I didn’t call the topic “please tell me what I already know”.
    Matt

VixenBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi Matt,

Having been in the same situation with one of my clients, I can say that you are correct. You can’t both work on the MYOB file at the same time. It ends up saving a duplicate and then it’s a hassle trying to decide which version to overwrite, especially when you’ve both done so much work.

This would be a bit of a hassle, but preobably best to give your client a quick call/email to advise them you’ll be working on the file and vice versa.

The other option is to have them “unshare” the dropbox folder each time they use the file then reshare it. Probably not the best way to do it, but certainly another way around a potential issue.

Hope that helps.

Cristina

VixenBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Hi Matt,

Having been in the same situation with one of my clients, I can say that you are correct. You can’t both work on the MYOB file at the same time. It ends up saving a duplicate and then it’s a hassle trying to decide which version to overwrite, especially when you’ve both done so much work.

This would be a bit of a hassle, but preobably best to give your client a quick call/email to advise them you’ll be working on the file and vice versa.

The other option is to have them “unshare” the dropbox folder each time they use the file then reshare it. Probably not the best way to do it, but certainly another way around a potential issue.

Hope that helps.

Cristina

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Your assumptions re MYOB files in Dropbox are correct. As long as you are both not working in the file at the same time, and make sure that you let the file sync properly before beginning and after finishing, you’ll be fine.

I strongly discourage “unsharing” files. This will lead to more confusion because it only takes one time to forget to reshare it and you’re toast. I know this has been suggested by some as a safe measure but it is frought with more troubles than what it is supposed to prevent.

I use all my MYOB files via Dropbox both with staff and clients and we very raely have an issue. If you follow strict guidelines even if you do end up with a conflicted file it is easy determine which is the correct file.

But like you, I avoid it like the plague if I can. Xero all the way!!! :D

Dardee
    • Total posts: 430
    Up

Your assumptions re MYOB files in Dropbox are correct. As long as you are both not working in the file at the same time, and make sure that you let the file sync properly before beginning and after finishing, you’ll be fine.

I strongly discourage “unsharing” files. This will lead to more confusion because it only takes one time to forget to reshare it and you’re toast. I know this has been suggested by some as a safe measure but it is frought with more troubles than what it is supposed to prevent.

I use all my MYOB files via Dropbox both with staff and clients and we very raely have an issue. If you follow strict guidelines even if you do end up with a conflicted file it is easy determine which is the correct file.

But like you, I avoid it like the plague if I can. Xero all the way!!! :D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.