Home – New Forums Marketing mastery E-Book selling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Manic
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello,

Could anyone give me their thoughts on selling an eBook on Amazon Kindle Store vs. selling it through your own sales page? Amazon is a great store, reviews help generate more sales, but you can generally charge more through your own gig. Curious on other people’s thoughts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Most people I know who have published do a combination of both and much more as it is all about exposure.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Manic,

That’s a great question, and one we haven’t discussed around here for a while.
    I’ll be interested in what the consensus is amongst the community here.

In the meantime, welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for joining us.

Jayne

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Kelly has it right. You don’t want to limit yourself to just one publisher/distribution method. Have them available on your website, on Amazon, on B&N, on iTunes, on Smashwords, everywhere. It also comes down to how you are marketing and where you’re driving your audience to. Do you have a system which will show you the stats of books sold, from where, between what times, etc as Amazon does? That’s the nest thing you need to consider, to make sure you’re analysing all efforts so that you know where your main profits are coming from.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there Manic,

The main pro for Amazon is exposure to an audience that you could not normally access. It can also give you credibility to be the author of a book published and listed on Amazon.

On your own site you can charge a lot more for your book and keep all the profit. This could work well if you have an existing audience to sell to (e.g. a large email list or blog readership), and each time you sell a book you gain a customer that you can keep selling to over time (if you have other books or products planned). But if you’re starting from scratch you might be getting a bigger share but minimal sales.

So you can see that either approach could be right depending on your goals and circumtances.

Good luck!

Dave

Manic
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Cheers guys, some great feedback here.

I do already have an audience so I’m thinking I’ll do both, chuck it on Amazon Kindle and get an ebook version on my page. Main concern was having people see that it’s cheaper on Amazon.

Thank you :)

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    Manic, post: 199091 wrote:

I do already have an audience so I’m thinking I’ll do both, chuck it on Amazon Kindle and get an ebook version on my page. Main concern was having people see that it’s cheaper on Amazon.

Hi Manic

I’ve two books published on Amazon, and I have 2 more on my website.

It depends what you are wanting to achieve.

If you want to build credibility as a ‘published author’, then you’ll want at least one book on Amazon.

If you want to drive sales yourself, have a good database to do this through, set your own pricing and control the margin, then you’ll want to keep them on your website.

Amazon does have rules around listing with them, and then ‘giving away’ your book, and all these rules are listed on their Kindle site.

Good luck!

Jenny

Video Production Sydney
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

both sounds like a good idea. Having as many marketing channels open as possible is always a good idea

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    Manic, post: 199091 wrote:

Why would you charge more in one place than another?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.