Home Forums Starting your journey E-commerce site help – All help appreciated!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    phil88
    • Total posts: 3

Hi fellow members,

I want to firstly apologize for my lack of knowledge in e-commerce site building.

I’m currently in the process of starting my business in Australia which will do most of it’s trading online (shopify). I’m registering web addresses, however I notice that the .com address that I wanted is taken and the current owner wants to sell it for $75k (something that I cannot afford). I wish to buy both the .com.au (Australia) and the .com.nz (New Zealand) as I intend on serving customers in both Australia and New Zealand.

I’m aware of the fact that you can redirect a url to another site, however I’m worried about the following issue.

• I host the website on my .com.au (this will serve the Australian customers)
    • New Zealand customers who search for me will google me and find the .com.nz, which will redirect them to The Australian site, however can the URL still be stated as .com.nz while still accessing the .com.au?
    • or.. should I host on both?

I’m just worried it might look unprofessional, or a site managing nightmare/costly

Many thanks!

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Have you considered a single site, optimised for different countries by structuring your site well, content keywords, geolocating customers? Millions of businesses do it (millions have separate sites, too).
    Why are you considering redirects?
    Could you use a more abstract gTLD that includes Australia and NZ but is not limited to either?

https://iwantmyname.com/domains/new-gtld-domain-extensions

phil88

Hi Paul, I’m not to familiar with the way I should set it up. However the .com.au and .com.nz site are essentially www.(my product name).com.au and www.(my product name).com.nz which makes it very neat..

GuestMember

Can you say more about the website, what it sells and how? What your plans are and anything else to go on.

Also, are you dead set on serving two different markets or are you possibly expanding too soon? Many businesses overstretch their time and money early on. Sometimes best to get established in one area first and have a healthy cash flow. Just a thought because it precedes structuring websites.

phil88

Hi Paul,
    My website will sell custom furniture. I’m interested in serving Australia (possibly NZ) but I don’t really want to limit myself to these two regions, in case of future interest outside of these regions.
    I originally just wanted to get a .com with my product/business name, however it has already been taken.

After some consideration about a more gTLD, I found that a domain name with my product name and an additional (y).com is available. I might have to change my branding a bit to incorporate the additional letter, but it might be easier than hosting on multiple local sites.

However Paul I’m curious to know if it I just register both domains
    www.(product)y.com and
    www.(product).com.au

just to be sure competitors don’t redirect it elsewhere.

Thanks!

GuestMember

Do you know what? I can’t tell you how many business ideas I tried to start with the big picture in place. I watch people name their business ‘nice cakes’ and I think, in 2 years I bet you wish it was more abstract and you weren’t stuck with cakes because you’ll be doing chocolates or something as well. Yet I’ve also worried about the (way too) big picture and thwarted a few startups by doing too much rather than baby steps. Very difficult because we don’t have a crystal ball!

If it won’t offend Muslim sensibilities (I know naked chair legs upset the Victorians!), you can also use the Libyan .ly as well? Bit.ly is one of the most famous.

Many people protect themselves by registering the main ones to take them out of circulation or to redirect the few customers who mistype (do many people type your URL e.g. from business cards or flyers, prob. not?). Again, it’s an extra cost to a startup but like any insurance policy, it is a gamble. Speculators buy them up just like property and sell them to you or someone else later at a profit like any other property (as you’ve seen).

Have you checked out availability on .furniture yet (if you’re sticking with it as it will be hard to do other things on it!)? I’m not kidding. There’s a gTLD for this. Not sure if it’s in general release stage. I waited for .guru and bought it in the Sunrise period. Love it.

SEO-wise, keywords don’t appear to be relevant, acc. John Mueller and his cronies.
    .furniture in the gTLD wouldn’t help either for SEO.
    ccTLDs country code top-level domains are important (but factored amongst many other variables of course).
    Source: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/googles-handling-of-new-top-level.html

Hope that helps. Paul

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842

Hey Phil, on a technical level the short answer is that, yes, you can have both the .co.nz and .com.au domain for the one Shopify site. Just be careful whom you purchase the domains from, as per this thread:

https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/multiple-domains-for-one-shopify-hosted-account-198337

So if you want to purchase product.com, product.com.au, product.co.nz, product.co and product.furniture you should be able to have them all point to the one website.
    Be aware that Shopify will ask you to pick one canonical domain and that will be the domain that shows up in Google. (So purchasing product.co.nz may not have the effect you’re after)

James Rayers
    • Total posts: 268

As John has pointed out Shopify only allows you to use one domain per store, the other(s) will just need to be forwarded. So people who visit your .CO.NZ domain will simply be redirected to your .COM.AU store.

I personally don’t think this looks unprofessional. It’s quite common. As an aside I wouldn’t actually open in NZ initially, especially if it’s furniture; shipping over any ocean is going to be prohibitive.

If you want to have a different store with a different currency for each country, you will need an additional Shopify store (double the cost). This is one of the downsides of Shopify. There are workarounds but it’s something you need to be able to compromise on. Again it’s quite common; a lot of stores just charge in AUD but still offer shipping to NZ.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.