Home – New Forums Tech talk e-commerce website integration – MYOB/Quickbooks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    smcka
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I have a Joomla/Virtuemart website that has around 400 items.

I am really looking for a program that will pick up all the sales made through the iste and drop them into either MYOB or Quickbooks. I currently use MYOB (accounting V18) but am open to change.

Currently, I export a .csv file, spend many minutes (lots of minutes actually) massaging it to meet MYOB import criteria and even then the GST isn’t correct. I also have a surcharge for credit card payments and the cart cannot export this in a way that MYOB can bring it in.

I’ve found Zed for MYOB and eCC (webagility) for Quickbooks.

Can anyone provide actual experience feedback on a program to do just this? There seems to be very little in the way of automated export/import for MYOB and when there is, the cost is huge.

I can buy quickbooks latest version + the eCC import syncroniser progam for $1,000 and I would think that is where I would top out in expenditure. is that OK, or does someone need to tell me I’m dreamin’?

I’s also ask what is the better accounting software but based on the other thread, no one seems to know… :(

Bizzy
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Hi there,

Our software does this as standard through the eBusiness module instantly bringing online shopping cart purchases into the accounting system ready to be approved and delivered.

It is however a completely integrated accounting system rather then a bolt on for MYOB / Quickbooks. It’s aimed at companies seeking proper stock control, integration on the web and it may just be a little bit too much if you are currently happy with MYOB / Quickbooks.

Apologies this hasn’t helped your original question.

nominal
    • Total posts: 504
    Up

Do you use PayPal for your payments?
    If you do you can consider using our solution, if you don’t I would love to hear your thoughts on your ideal solution…
    We are hard at work coming up with solutions for online traders.

If you’re looking for small/medium business solution – talk to bizzy :-)

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Hi smcka,

I have a number of clients now running a combination of Dremus for their ecommerce solution & Xero for accounting. Some of these – with more complex inventory management requirements – also use Unleashed.

In all cases the orders / invoices created on the website interface into Xero (or Unleashed, and from their into Xero) automatically: no export / import, no csv file, just automatic real time interface. Ditto the payment, in most cases via Paypal, again direct feed.

No up front cost of software, just a flat monthly fee, for Xero + Dremus starting from around $80 a month (depends on numbers of SKUs & users). Depends what hourly rate you assign to your time, but at “lots of minutes” (every month? or week? or day??) the cost of this solution is likely to be less than the cost of your time at present.

Details of Xero on my website, details of other solutions will be up within a week or two.

Cheers, Rhys

PS

smcka, post: 70582 wrote:
    what is the better accounting software but based on the other thread, no one seems to know… :(

I do: Xero!

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up
    smcka, post: 70582 wrote:
    Hi all

I have a Joomla/Virtuemart website that has around 400 items.

I am really looking for a program that will pick up all the sales made through the iste and drop them into either MYOB or Quickbooks. I currently use MYOB (accounting V18) but am open to change.

Currently, I export a .csv file, spend many minutes (lots of minutes actually) massaging it to meet MYOB import criteria and even then the GST isn’t correct. I also have a surcharge for credit card payments and the cart cannot export this in a way that MYOB can bring it in.

(
    Hi smcka

The simplest solution is to get a php/mysql programmer to create a script that will produce a CORRECTLY formatted csv file of orders – with GST added etc. You could specify a range of orders – say by date or order id – then download and import into MYOB. If you want to upload the customer details as well then it starts to get more complicated, but it is no real drama.

If you want to discuss then send me a PM or ring.

Regards

Tony Pfitzner

http://www.youronlinebusiness.com.au

smcka
    Up

Thanks.

I use a merchant gateway for credit card payments and EFT/direct debit. Around a 50/50 split on payment types. I’m not too fussed on the payment side as its pretty quick to reconcile accounts in MYOB once you import your bank statement.

Paypal will never set foot in my business whilst I have air in my lungs.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    smcka, post: 70819 wrote:
    Paypal will never set foot in my business whilst I have air in my lungs.

Nice to see I’m not alone in my views regarding Paypal and business ;)

Wendy

nominal
    Up
    Couple It, post: 70822 wrote:
    Nice to see I’m not alone

I didn’t realise PayPal has such bad reputation.

What would you ideally want to see out of your virtuemart integration to your accounting software? products? orders? customers?

how would you use it?

smcka
    Up

My ideal program would allow me to export all my customers, products and sales in a defined period – typically monthly – and import it into MYOB, updating any fields automatically.

It would calculate the GST correctly (and MYOB has an issue with this in the way it works GST out) and recognise a credit card surcharge, or coupon discount and apply it/them.

I do not use inventory management, so I don’t need to deplete stock in either area (VM or MYOB).

I don’t really need live access to the website, once per month is fine. And being user-defined and a manual download, live communication in the background is not needed.

When updating products, it will identify an existing product and update it; price is my main change of product. The description may change, but the SKU shouldn’t. I also find that MYOB will put into quotes (” “) text such as product descriptions or client addresses. I guess this is when its not formatted right.

Customers likewise need to have new data updated. I don’t want to have duplicate products or customers because 1 criteria is different. Example; you change your email address but everything else stays the same. MYOB or this elusive program picks that up and says ‘ I’ll just update the email address for Fred Bloggs as he has changed it’

I generally change my description or pricing on the website and then update MYOB if needed. No use updating both as thats more work.

For the others offering new cloud systems or a whole new website; I really don’t need that as I’m not a tech head. I get by, but I don’t want to go and spend a lot of time and money investing in a whole new system that I have to spend time learning.

Webagility (http://www.webgility.com/quickbooks-integration-why-ecc.php) have a pretty good looking product for Quickbooks and I have to admit that I am seriously leaning towards them. Seems to be what I want/need.

Bizzy
    • Total posts: 64
    Up

Double entry and the import/export process is definitely one way to do it, and it sounds like it may be just what you need. Definitely the best way to go about it for the lowest cost.

When you require live stock numbers, and prices auto updated on your website as well as live orders in your system so you never have double entry it’s probably time to talk too us.

nominal
    Up
    smcka, post: 70830 wrote:
    My ideal program would allow me to export all my customers, products and sales in a defined period – typically monthly – and import it into MYOB, updating any fields automatically

Thanks for this… you’ve provided me with some food for thought.

Looking at the VM export, did you have to install a CSV module to be able to export your records? It seems they are lacking in documentation around their API.

nominal
    Up
    My ideal program would allow me to export all my customers, products and sales in a defined period – typically monthly – and import it into MYOB, updating any fields automatically.

I think I may have a solution for you, or for other VirtueMart online traders, if you already have a solution in place.

Our software,Nominal Accounting, is a double entry bookkeeping package built especially for Australian Micro businesses, with the main intent of being simple.

Nominal is generic enough to be used by almost any Micro business, but we try to focus on two kinds of businesses – service/time billing and online traders

For the 2nd group (you’re bang in the middle of it) we provide things like PayPal, Magento and now VirtueMart integrations.

The VirtueMart currently (in our next version) provides integration of customers and products from VM into Nominal records using Web-Services integration. You will need to enable an (open source) joomla component (SOA for VM) which exposes a set of Webservices to manage the VM store.

So customers details, including addresses and product details which are converted to Nominal items will be populated at a click of a button.

The next step is to import the orders and record them and perhaps generate invoices. This will be done over the next couple of weeks I hope.

Can you describe how you see the orders being imported into your accounting software?

If you would like to try this solution and provide your input I will greatly appreciate it.

Grumpy
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

It would calculate the GST correctly (and MYOB has an issue with this in the way it works GST out) and recognise a credit card surcharge, or coupon discount and apply it/them.

I do not use inventory management, so I don’t need to deplete stock in either area (VM or MYOB).

I don’t really need live access to the website, once per month is fine. And being user-defined and a manual download, live communication in the background is not needed.

When updating products, it will identify an existing product and update it; price is my main change of product. The description may change, but the SKU shouldn’t. I also find that MYOB will put into quotes (” “) text such as product descriptions or client addresses. I guess this is when its not formatted right.

Customers likewise need to have new data updated. I don’t want to have duplicate products or customers because 1 criteria is different. Example; you change your email address but everything else stays the same. MYOB or this elusive program picks that up and says ‘ I’ll just update the email address for Fred Bloggs as he has changed it’

I generally change my description or pricing on the website and then update MYOB if needed. No use updating both as thats more work.

For the others offering new cloud systems or a whole new website; I really don’t need that as I’m not a tech head. I get by, but I don’t want to go and spend a lot of time and money investing in a whole new system that I have to spend time learning.

Webagility (http://www.webgility.com/quickbooks-integration-why-ecc.php) have a pretty good looking product for Quickbooks and I have to admit that I am seriously leaning towards them. Seems to be what I want/need.

Hi,

I’ve done a lot of importing into MYOB (ex-Professional Partner). If you let me know your exact requirements, I’d be happy to discuss the problem with you. Technically, it’s not difficult but MYOB’s data structure and rules are a bit of a pain.

I can handle eWay, PayPal and Channel Advisor files without too much trouble and there’s no need to change accounting packages if you’re comfortable with MYOB.

Regards,

John Crout

lofo
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    Tony Pfitzner, post: 70815 wrote:
    Hi smcka

The simplest solution is to get a php/mysql programmer to create a script that will produce a CORRECTLY formatted csv file of orders – with GST added etc. You could specify a range of orders – say by date or order id – then download and import into MYOB. If you want to upload the customer details as well then it starts to get more complicated, but it is no real drama.

If you want to discuss then send me a PM or ring.

Regards

Tony Pfitzner

http://www.youronlinebusiness.com.au
    Even still, import into MYOB is inherently fragile given the quality of the code. IMHO, I’d move away from it to something like zero.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.