Home – New Forums Selling online E-commerce website – Wix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    laurar
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I’m in the process of starting an online business and I’m looking at the different e-commerce options. So far Wix seems quite good; they are now SEO friendly, their templates look good (I may get a few critics here from web designers… sorry) and their rates fit my budget.

I have read a few reviews in this forum but they are all a bit old. Just wondering if anyone is using at the moment or have a recent feedback about them.

Also… would 10GB bandwidth per month be enough?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi laurar,

Thanks for joining the forum today, and welcome aboard.

You’ll find that our resident experts are more able to advise you on the right solution for your business when they know a bit more about what you’re trying to achieve, so you may want to tell us a bit more about our plans.

In the meantime, this thread is currently active and may be of interest if you’re considering a Wix site.

All the best,
    Jayne

laurar
    Up

Thanks for your reply Jayne.

My business will be an online store selling high quality shoes made in Europe. I like simple and minimalist website themes and it needs to have some class to match my product.

I am aware that the ideal would be getting a web designer but at the moment I’m only starting and cannot afford it.

The e-commerce site must be SEO friendly as I will rely in the search engines a lot.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

If you cannot afford a designer right now, why not look at SquareSpace? A much better platform than Wix in my opinion.

Good luck :)

Steve the Bartender
    • Total posts: 48
    Up

Hi Laurar

I’d recommend using Magento CE which doesn’t cost anything and then going with a template. I’ve purchased plenty from Theme Forest – most templates will set you back around $80. Make sure you read the customer comments for feedback and to see what the designer’s support is like.

I like to test the theme’s out on all my devices too just to make sure everything displays perfectly.

You will need to be a little web savvy if you decide to go with Magento as it isn’t as simple as something like Wix.

Steve the Bartender
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 187740 wrote:
    If you cannot afford a designer right now, why not look at SquareSpace? A much better platform than Wix in my opinion.

Good luck :)

SquareSpace looks cool.

I hear a lot of good things about Shopify but haven’t had any first hand experience with it.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I don’t think squarespace is very well set up for e-commerce in Australia just yet, you’ll struggle with the Payment options.

If you’re doing it yourself, Shopify is your best bet in my opinion

altima
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 187752 wrote:
    I don’t think squarespace is very well set up for e-commerce in Australia just yet, you’ll struggle with the Payment options.

If you’re doing it yourself, Shopify is your best bet in my opinion

Support that cloud solution like Shopify or BigCommerce will be more reasonable option than Magento CE, especially if you have a limited budget and can’t afford hiring a developer.

Magento CE is a great platform, but not the cheapest (technically it is free, but to set-up the store properly you need a developer and spend some money on good hosting).

Also you can consider Magento Go, which is cloud version of Magento, similar price bracket with Shopify and BigCommerce.

Have no experience with Wix, from what I’ve heard it is more generic solution, not specifically e-commerce, but I may be wrong.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

i just got a glimpse of WIX in the topic subject and was like “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”!

Just the mention of wix makes me shudder at the thought of the number of people I’ve come across with a wix site that make you feel sick looking at it.

I’d definitely go for square space if you’re looking for a diy platform.

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Don’t go Wix!

I am not sure about what the others have suggested. I am sure they are really great ideas.

I would recommend an Elegant Theme with Woocommerce. ET are not that cheap but can be well worth it for new users.

Obviously you need paid web hosting & a domain name if you go that way.

Themes are pretty nice & solidly built. They give fairly remarkable customer service.

You will need to do customisation with their themes unless you want something very basic.

It is on wordpress platform so you can take over maintenance & site control fairly easily with a bit of a learning curve.

DIVI theme is quite a revolutionary theme concept for DIY website users.

If you were after someone to do it for you.
    Check out http://embersketch.com/.

Maybe have a chat to martin & see what is possible. :)

laurar
    Up
    Octopus Labs, post: 187777 wrote:
    i just got a glimpse of WIX in the topic subject and was like “nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo”!

Haha! Yeah… that’s the feeling I’m getting!!

Thanks for the tips guys! Square Space looks really good, but I’m not sure about the payment options as they use Stripe (first time I’ve heard about them)… I wonder if this would be an issue. Is anyone here using them?

I’m not very web savvy so I’d probably stay away from Magento and stick with something a bit more simple.

Heard good things about Shopify but also heard that is probably it doesn’t work as good in Australia? Not sure why….

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

Stripe is fine, it’s just as secure as paypal. Squarespace has been around for years too so don’t be scared about paying for their service. They actually had a superbowl commercial (around $4m to do) so they’re reliable.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    laurar, post: 187793 wrote:
    Heard good things about Shopify but also heard that is probably it doesn’t work as good in Australia? Not sure why….

I’d be interested to hear why that’s been said, I think it’s more integrated than Squarespace at least.
    Shopify integrates with Paypal, eWay, Australia Post etc.

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Woocommerce is free … though if you want greater functionality they gouge on additions.
    Though it can be a pain getting into alterations & code changes.
    Woocommerce works well for Australian customers .. the other advantage is that you get the blogging power of wordpress & the great backend plus heaps of great plugins (free & paid).
    There are advantages any which way you choose … apart from maybe wix lol

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 187752 wrote:

If you’re doing it yourself, Shopify is your best bet in my opinionYes, i was thinking more of the drag and drop style of building a site rather than the eCommerce side of things.

affgar, post: 187833 wrote:
    Woocommerce is free … though if you want greater functionality they gouge on additions.
    Though it can be a pain getting into alterations & code changes.
    Woocommerce works well for Australian customers .. the other advantage is that you get the blogging power of wordpress & the great backend plus heaps of great plugins (free & paid).
    There are advantages any which way you choose … apart from maybe wix lolWooCommerce is awesome – I use it for all of our small business sites. Gouge is a little harsh… they need to make their cash somehow. You only need to buy what you need.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.