• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    ::

I recieved an email today from a wizz kid in the states that has a turnover of $ 3million from a carpet cleaning business running two trucks. So in $ terms this is quite good.

He said he turned his business around after reading E-Myth Mastery by michael gerber. now Ive heard of E- myth and E- myth revisited but not E-Myth Mastery.

Not being a great fan of Michael Gerber I was wondering had anyone read E-Myth Mastery, thought if it was worth the read I would get a copy to read on the plane.

Any comments?

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Hi Burgo
    Yes I have read it, its a big thick book compared to the others and gets down to the detail of systemising your business rather than the fluffy stories in the other books.

Still has some of the fluffyness but gives you some good pointers on what to actually do to achieve the systemisation.

Wait***
    Let me grab it of the bookshelf.

7 essential diciplines, ah thats right.. how to write policy manuals, leadership etc etc.

I think it his best book our of the lot.

He goes into a fair amount of detail on starting out in insurance /Encyclopedia sales during the 60s in San Francisco.

Had I had the chance to live in San Francisco through the 60’s I dont know if selling encyclopedias would of been high on my list of priorities.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Glad to hear Gerber has one book that’s not fluffy – I recently read ‘Awakening the Entrepreneur Within’ and was roundly disappointed.

Not everyone wants to become the CEO of their business – some people are really happy being technicians – I’m trying out a few strategies that let people do the bits they want, whilst still managing the rest for strong growth…

There are successful e-myth strategic alternatives out there!!
    cheers
    Lisa

Coleen
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Has anyone read The 4 Hour Work Week by Timonthy Ferris. It’s an interesting read and I am finding that I am learning alot about how to approach business from a differnt viewpoint, being leveraging time.

My mentors all tell me that business should be about ‘outsourcing’ whilst I focus on ‘project management’. That works well when you can afford the outsourcing, but I am pleased to say that I have finally located an online Virtual Assistant service at an extremely cost effective price.

Given that I own an online ‘writing service’, this little gem of a find is fantastic. Having said that, I have yet to engage their services to test them out. Still, at an average cost of $4.00 p/h to hire a VA over a 40 hour work week, I figure it is worth a go.

I too, have been told repeatedly to read the E Myth by Michael Gerber, however I did understand that his books are more about systems and it was not really something that appealed to me. I prefer the more creative stuff myself.

Having said that, I would be intersted in your feedback Burgo if you decide to read it on the plane.

Coleen

Purlem
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

I’m Interested in your thoughts.. Does 37signals or E-myth have the right philosophy for business start-ups today? http://www.purlem.com/blog/?p=38

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

No, the best business start ups books are ‘Successsecrets’ by Peter Thorpe and ‘Flying Solo” by a couple of highly talented and interesting people Robert Gerrish and Sam Leader.

Gerber comes in way down the track when you have a reasonably successful business and want to take it to the next level. Thank you for reminding me to finish reading E-myth mastery, Im about 2/3rds the way through. He wanders a bit and had he left out his wandering thoughts the book would be able to have been read in a couple of hours and for me much more interesting.

To be honset I get the feeling the Americans know everthing, or at least think they do, so its very refreshing to read Australian Books by top Australian authors on subjects that help Australians start , build and develope their Australian businesses.

This forum is also one of the best to give you the information you need after reading the two above mentioned books

There my thought s

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

Thanks Burgo!

I must say that I think The E-Myth Revisited is the perfect ‘companion read’ to our little tome. When we wrote it, that’s pretty well where we had it positioned and where our publishers saw it also.

I’m a big fan of Michael Gerber and had the pleasure of spending some time with him a few years ago – hence he kindly read our book and gave us a terrific little testimonial.

For me though, the E-Myth Revisited is his finest work.

Robert

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I read and enjoyed the E-Myth Revisited, but i didn’t take it all as gospel. For me, it hits the mark with the principles of working on or in your business, but everyone has their own priorities. I personally have seen my Dad’s life being consumed by his small business so i’m keen to do the exact opposite – sit back and go fishing!

I’d recommend the book, mainly because it will either hit the mark for you, or open your mind even just a little bit more. I reckon that your guaranteed to get something positive out of it.

Management Practice
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Burgo & friends,
    I have just joined the Flying Solo fraternity but if the philosophy of E-Myth hits the spot with you, then take a look at my introductory Forum posting. Business Systemisation is close to my heart.
    Kind regards,
    Richard

FinSpec
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

I’ve read quite a few of the books which you guys are talking about on here. Probably the one that has had the greatest impact is the 4 hour work week.

However, no one book is writting for one person, and taking the good and the bad from each and using it appropriately is the best way forward. Gerbers books have a lot of excellent information, but it’s only good if that is the direction that you’re heading in.

Prevention is better than cure, so even though it may be down the track, use it as a guide as to where you want to go and how you want to get there. Then you’ll find yourself not having to read the books thinking “yes, I should change this and change that to make it work better” – it should just work.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Having read quite a few business books over the years I think that there is no one book that has it all. But if you can get a gem from each one and put it to use to assist you in the running of your business is the best return that I have found.

Most books that I have are from the US but I also have UK, Canada, Denmark and Australia, but what I have found out is that just because something works in one country doesn’t mean it will work in Australia and visa versa.

I have found that the E-myth books tend to wander but then again so do the Rich Dad ones and the Robbins etc, etc.

rhanek
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Hi All,

Michael Gerber has one book worth reading… it is “The E-myth revisited” … All his other books are either more of the same or extracts or they are self indulgent religious fluff….
    but Emyth revisited is simply brilliant and has stood the test of time and will undoubtedly do so for the rest of this century. Anybody who wants to build a true business… a business that can exist outside the head of the owner, a business that still exists even when the owner is at lunch or sick in bed… must read it (and then read my own book directly after, The Ten Truths for Raising a Healthy Bouncy Business….at this website :D :) )

book_cover_no_price.jpg

cheers

roland hanekroot

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.