Home – New Forums Money matters Ebay & Paypal fees

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tresla
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Are there any high volume eBay sellers on this forum?

I have been trading on eBay for close to 4 months now. Sales have only grown in the past 3 months steadily to the point that the monthly invoice for fees is well over $1500+ and growing.. I’ve just learned that eBay doesn’t actually include GST on these fees as eBay’s offshore headquarters issues the invoices. Luckily I looked into this before lodging the BAS.

“The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a broad-based tax of 10 per cent on the sale of most goods and services in Australia.”

This is quite ridiculous that our Government allows this to happen right under their noses, even though eBay has offices right here in Australia, they’re registered with an ABN with a “.com.au” domain and they’re providing a service to Australians, yet they don’t have to pay a dime of the millions of $$ they make from their Australian users because of a loop hole in the system.

In the UK, eBay tried pulling the same stunt. The UK realized what they were trying to do and pretty much made them register in the UK and pay their fair share of taxes.

I wonder if this topic could be brought into the media spotlight.. Put pressure on eBay.. I mean after all money is tight these days, and they should be made pay their share of taxes! Some of these global corporations really do make my blood boil..

(end of rant) :)

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

This is something that was discussed on the eBay forums some years ago. I can’t remember the outcome as to whether it was taken to the ACCC or not.

Wardman
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

It’s a good point. We have a lot of retailers complaining about the amount of goods bought from overseas retailers where there’s no GST but right under their noses is this entity called Ebay that operates in Australia but doesn’t need to collect any GST.

Not quite a level playing field.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Just remember that if Ebay was to collect the 10% GSt it would mean that your fee’s would be the 1500 plus 10%, so you as the consumer would pay the 10% for it to be collected by Ebay, to pass on. So yes it is a problem, but at the same time it is a benefit for you as a seller in that you dont have to pay the 10% extra.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Wow congrats on the turnover.

I hope you’re including a business card with a 5% discount code on it with every eBay purchase! (Only redeemable from your website of course.)

Customer saves 5%, you save 2-5% from not paying eBay/PayPal fees and your site ranking shoots up from extra traffic.

Good luck!

Maclean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.